• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any pointers for improving 4th + 5th shots.

HOSTIL1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
NE Ohio
First time trying my hand at precision shooting today. Although I was able to put together a few good groups, more times than not I completely blew the group on the 4th or 5th shot. I probably just need more practice but I'm trying to develop some loads, and this makes it hard to know a good load when I see it. I know I'm the problem on most of the groups.

My rifle and some examples from today's range visit.

Rem. 308 700sps Tactical. Choate Tactical stock. SS 16X
P1010125.jpg

A couple of my blown groups and then my best group of the day.
P1010121.jpg

P1010117.jpg

P1010115.jpg

Re: Any pointers for improving 4th + 5th shots.

Don't look at the group till you fire the last shot. Concentration will fade as you admire the first several in the group. If you find yourself straying over to admire the first, move the group away from your aiming point. You can always move the cross hairs back when you need to hit something. When you get the practice you need on concentration and repeatability, then you can move the group back to your aiming point. JMHO

The last group seems like what you'd typically get with that load.

Did you load them to 42.5 grains because you used magnum primers?

BTW, I like your bolt knob and stock.

My Varget load is just a slight tad hotter with LAPUA brass.

Most benchrest shooters would tell you that any vertical in your groups means you need to either add a little more powder, or take a little away. Look at your primer and case heads and see what the pressure indicators say. If you can go just a little hotter, try that. If you are getting really flat primers and a swipe mark from the ejector hole, take it a little cooler. If you have the right load, almost all horizontal spread will be attributed to a wind report.

Practice, practice, practice. Nothing will help your groups like trigger time with the right load.

Take notes on everything and keep them in the same notebook. You can seperate or condense at a later time when you figure out what you need to keep together.

Looks like a really good start. Good luck.

Allow your barrel to cool longer between shots.

get a heavier barrel installed, seems like your barrel is heating up after the first 3 shots.