• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any problems with hornady dies?

signal5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
tx
I bought some 30.06 hornady dies yesterday and it seems like every other case is getting stuck in it. I put plenty if line on the cases I just can't figure out why it's doing that. I have only been reloading about a month I am wondering if this is a common problem with hornady dies or if it's me. I load for 2 other calibers but use RCBS dies for those. Anybody got any solutions for me? Thanks.

Are you letting the lubricant dry all the way on the cases? I've had great luck with Dillon case lube.

What kind of lube? I've stuck a couple with one shot. Never had a problem with imperial wax

I'm using the one shot from hornady. I have used it in the same manner with my other dies with no problems.

Try a different lube. Yes, I know a lot of folks like and use the spray on stuff, but give imperial a try and see if that doesn't fix your wagon. I had occasional stuck cases until I ditched the one shot.

Try Unique or Imperial case lube and if you are still having issues, then look at the dies. I have only ever had issues with one Hornady die, which was out of spec and would stick cases no matter what you do. Bad dies can slip their way out, but usually it's a lube issue, especially with One Shot (Or OneStuck...whichever you prefer).

*One shot actually does work well most of the time, there are some applications though that I cannot seem to get it to cooperate with. I gave up on it though and have switched to Dillon case lube when it comes to spray lubes.

I use a spay lube as well. It is from Frankford Arsenal and I got it from Midway USA. In the beginning I had a few cases that would get stuck. After some advice from another hider I sprayed my cases and let the lube dry overnight. After doing that my problem was solved completely. I like the spray lube because it makes it so easy to ensure the entire case has a light coat of oil on it. I put mine in a zip lock bag and spray the lube in the bag with the rounds and then move the cases around in the bag to ensure every bit of the rounds gets good coverage. Then just let them sit overnight.

I hope that helps.

I've never had an issue with cases getting stuck in a hornady die, but I do find that the expander ball grabs the inside of the neck unless I lube it. I've had some so tight that I needed both hands on the press handle to get them free. I've never experienced this with any other brand of dies.

Steve

I had the same issue with Hornady one shot. I switched to homemade lube from lanolin and isopropyl alcohol. I put it in a "misto" sprayer and it works great. You can check online for the ratio of lanolin to alcohol.

You'll have to buy a case extractor if you don't get better lube. Ask me how I know....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

O/P, ditch the Hornady one shot! There are numerous threads on this subject. A few days ago, I bought a set of Hornady dies in 7MM Remington Magnum. I sized cases using the home made alcohol / lanolin lube and with Mobil 1 20-50 synthetic oil. I did have to lube the inside of the necks to prevent some bad galling in the neck even after polishing the expander button, but the dies work well, no problems with both of these sizing lubes.

This is my first set of Hornady rifle dies. I own RCBS, Redding, Lee and Forster dies.

The proper lube is the key. After many years of using different lubes, my favorites of the commercial mfd. ones are Dillon spray lube (alcohol / lanolin) and Imperial wax. As far as home made or others not marketed as case lube, my favorites are Home made alcohol / lanolin, Kiwi "Mink Oil" in the tin, Chapstick and Mobil 1 Synthetic 20-50 oil.

Many like Hornady's "Unique" lube in the tub, but I haven't used it.

Did you clean the dies before you used them? They may have had some left over trash in them from the machine shop. I would also not hesitate to give them a good polishing using a 45 caliber bore mop and some Flitz. I might even start with a 3M pad on a cleaning rod. Lightman

No offense intended but I would switch dies. My first two sets of dies were Hornady 300WM and 308. Both caused excessive wear on the insides of the case neck and were just a pain overall. Made the switch Redding and never looked back.

I have one set of hornady dies.Nothing but problems with them from day one.Never had any problems with my lee or redding dies.

Never used Hornady dies but I have used the Hornady Unique lube with good results.

Last edited:
The die will be fine without needing a new one. Just get better lube. Used the same die to size 30-06 brass and tried the one shot like yourself with the same results. Imperial wax on the outside and inside case neck solved the problem of sticking cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several sets of Hornady dies, and they are all fine EXCEPT the sizing die for 308. After a stuck case or two (which I've never had with any other die) I bought a set of RCBS dies in 308. All I can say is there is a night and day difference between the two.

I finally got them to work, I lubed the cases a bit more that seemed to work.

I own several Hornady dies. I use the one shot lube for straight wall pistol brass only and imperial for everything else. I have had good success doing this. Glad to see they are working.

Yeah I'm kinda new to reloading so I thought that lube was lube. Next time I go get supplies I'll pick up another kind of lube.