• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any problems with storing sized/primed rifle brass?

fxdrider

Deplorable
Minuteman
  • Jan 3, 2014
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    Go easy.... Was thinking of prepping a bunch of .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor brass, maybe 300-500 pieces or more - up to and including sizing and priming, and then just storing it until I need to finish loading(working up new loads, matches, etc.). Are there any problems with doing that? Does the sized brass spring back any amount that could affect neck tension or anything else? After 29 years of reloading, I should know the answer to this, but but it's something I've never tried it before. I've always charged cases and seated bullets fairly quickly after sizing and priming. Maybe 2 days in between at the most. I know sized, primed brass is available from sellers - but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good way to go. Figured I'd asking before diving in....

Reactions: simonp
    I’ve done this with .bulk 223 for years without issue. I keep them in ammo cans with desiccant though. Some cans might sit for a year or more. The spring back that’s going to occur happens within the first second of pulling your brass from the die. I’m not sure what you’re asking I guess.

I prep brass, and used to prime it. No issue as long as it starts dry. Makes loading in a single stages tolerable.

Just store the primed brass like you would store a primer and you will be good to go!

I have done this for the last 15 years that I have been reloading. I store most of mine in ziploc bags with all the info written on the bag. But I also use plastic containers. I have never had one issue with CCI primers. They always go bang if you insert then the right way, don't ask. I did have issues with the Russian primers corroding after 5 years. I live in NC and they were stored in my shop area in the garage. It was only a few and I had already used 95% of the 5K I bought.

David

I too have done this for a long time. 9mm and 223 primarily.

Just like everyone else has said, how you store it is the most important part. I use 3 gallon buckets with lids. I keep them indoors.

I've had a couple of times when I made a mistake when tumbling so after a few weeks the brass had a different color to it. It had zero impact on utility but if you are sensitive about cosmetics just be aware of that possiblity.

So, do you store your primers in sealed containers too? Mine are just in the boxes on a shelf in the furnace room (very dry and temperature controled). I would think seating them would be even less of an issue than if they were unseated, but the priming component is supposedly sealed with a foil/lacquer, so why would it matter?
    CutawayPrimer.png

I have most of a case of Winchester, Magnum, handgun primers from the 1970s (the little slots for each primer sit sideways). The anvils all have a noticeable green tinge from oxidation (must be high copper brass), but apparently this does not effect the priming compound in the slightest, because I continue to use them and I have never had one fail to go bang, or give me anything but a full performance. I still use them to load .44 Magnum and .500 magnum. Unless you saw them get seated you would never know, so IMHO the shelf life is at least fifty years, and I don't see why that wouldn't even be longer seated...no baggie necessary...

Reactions: Baron23