• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any probs w/ using too short buffer

robdes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Houston, Texas
I have a PRS stock on my POF p308. Can I use the buffer that was in the shorter buffer tube that came with the rifle? Will a buffer that is too short cause problems? What kind?

Thanks.

Re: any probs w/ using too short buffer

You know...there are people out there that are doing this and I strongly advise against it. It can cause damage to your rifle and increase problems with carrier tilt, etc., etc., etc. If you call POF or e-mail with them (check with Doug), they will advise you NOT to run the carbine buffer with an A2 tube stock. Use the right tool for the right job!!

This all started when some less-than-intelligent individuals tried to use the extended A2 buttstock screw with the PRS which is only properly installed using the shorter screw provided by Magpul with the stock. Since the longer screw protruded into the buffer tube, it caused the rifle buffer to impact the screw and the people who did this were getting all kinds of problems (DUH!) with the rifle not cycling properly, etc. With some sort of backward logic, they figured the rifle buffer was the WRONG buffer to use with a RIFLE/A2 buffer tube and started running the carbine buffer in the A2 buffer tube. As I said before, this can cause all sorts problems and potential damage to your rifle.

You need buy the DPMS LR-308 Rifle buffer and LR-308 rifle spring for use with your PRS on any POF P-308 rifle. I have been running this setup on my 20" SPR for 1k+ rounds now without issue. My rifle has been 100%.

Excellent advice from ORD.

What will happen is that the too short buffer will allow your BCG to go too far rearward and slam into the rear of your lower receiver, damaging it. The buffer is what stops the rearward travel of the BCG.

The shorter spring will also not have the proper spring rate for the extra length.

Buy the right parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know...there are people out there that are doing this and I strongly advise against it. It can cause damage to your rifle and increase problems with carrier tilt, etc., etc., etc. If you call POF or e-mail with them (check with Doug), they will advise you NOT to run the carbine buffer with an A2 tube stock. Use the right tool for the right job!!

This all started when some less-than-intelligent individuals tried to use the extended A2 buttstock screw with the PRS which is only properly installed using the shorter screw provided by Magpul with the stock. Since the longer screw protruded into the buffer tube, it caused the rifle buffer to impact the screw and the people who did this were getting all kinds of problems (DUH!) with the rifle not cycling properly, etc. With some sort of backward logic, they figured the rifle buffer was the WRONG buffer to use with a RIFLE/A2 buffer tube and started running the carbine buffer in the A2 buffer tube. As I said before, this can cause all sorts problems and potential damage to your rifle.

</div></div>

It's almost like they make different sized parts for a reason! Thanks for the history lesson, it was an interesting tidibt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's almost like they make different sized parts for a reason! </div></div>

Amazing isn't it!! Hard to imagine what would make someone think that running a carbine buffer in a rifle/A2 tube would be a GOOD idea?!?!
wink.gif
No offense intended toward you, dtac. At least you had enough sense to ask the question.