• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Any prone target exercises i can do at the local range to improve my skills.... without barriers or other stage presentations?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
Are there any prone target exercises i can do at the local range to improve my skills…..

The range i’m generally shoot at goes up to 300 yards but has no barricades or other stage presentations, just a paper target stand and we can only shoot prone or on a bench. While I think they’ll allow a tripod i’d like to see what’s possible from prone which is much easier on my spine. Again, just a paper target stand and shooting prone from a bipod.

I can of course go elsewhere but it’s more of a hike and more money…

thank you

Try the standard 300-yard stage of the National Match Course:

from standing take a prone position. If shooting an auto-loader fire two shots, change magazines, and fire eight shots in a total time of 70 seconds. If a bolt gun, shoot five rounds, load your second magazine of five and fire those, all in a total of 70 seconds.

Start with the NRA/Army 300-yard bullseye target:

1600228306012.png

An NRA Expert shoots an 89 - 93.99% average; a Master 94 - 96.99%.

Mix it up using this military competition target (roughly 40-inches high and twenty wide). To start, 38 hits anywhere out of 40 is an Expert (use the NMC timing above for ten-shot strings -- irons or scope, it doesn't matter. You have to break position marginally to switch magazines. Use a bipod or sandbag if you have to, but stay on the time standards). Then start going for score (89 - 93.99% of 200 possible would be an Expert). If your spine can't take the repetitive standing to prone, do it all from the prone but keep the time standards.

If you're looking for teeny-tiny groups then shoot benchrest-style, but they have different time standards.

1600228199381.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PsychUnit
from standing take a prone position.

Minor correction: they haven't done Standing to Prone (or Sitting) for some time. Too many dumb-asses tagging the butt of their ARs on the ground and having the bolt go closed with the muzzle pointed over the backstop...

That said... I think a bit of positional practice i.e. standing offhand, sitting or prone with a sling, would be a great practice idea. Get the 100yd reduced targets and practice even closer if you want/need. Or if you're using the bipod, get the MR-63FC target center (300yd F-class) for a challenge rather than the big honkin' SR3.