• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any PRS in Georgia?

JA1989

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2019
Just curious, does anyone know of any PRS events in Georgia, specifically south Georgia? I wouldn’t mind going and watching a couple matches, with the possibility of entering eventually.

Reactions: HousePlant
Cool acres would be a good first match to go to as stated by everyone else. I also think everyone else would agree that if you have a rifle even remotely capable of the sport that you just jump into it and shoot a match. You’ll learn a lot more about it by doing it than watching. The community is extremely helpful. I will be at the January 29 Match.

Thanks for the info guys. I’ve got a couple custom rifles that are .25-.5 moa if I do my part, I just know nothing of the prs rules or structure

As a general theme 10 rds per stage, 10 stages per match. Each stage is thoroughly briefed, you know exactly what targets to shoot, from what positions, in what order.

I was at a match at Carbon Hill, Alabama and a guy showed up with a $500 30-06 and some random hunting ammo and a cheap scope and everyone was super helpful and gave him all the help he wanted.

You won’t regret just showing up and trying it out.

As a general theme 10 rds per stage, 10 stages per match. Each stage is thoroughly briefed, you know exactly what targets to shoot, from what positions, in what order.

I was at a match at Carbon Hill, Alabama and a guy showed up with a $500 30-06 and some random hunting ammo and a cheap scope and everyone was super helpful and gave him all the help he wanted.

You won’t regret just showing up and trying it out.
Thanks for the info, I may look more into that. Where can I find more information on the cool acres matches and schedule?

Hopefully the link works if not I type in PRS southeast on google and it shows all the matches registered with the PRS in the southeast region. I live in the Savannah area so Cool Acres is the closest for me but Florida has a few venues, Arena in western GA is a great facility, carbon hill Alabama is good and K+M in Tennessee is top notch.

Reactions: DubfromGA

Hopefully the link works if not I type in PRS southeast on google and it shows all the matches registered with the PRS in the southeast region. I live in the Savannah area so Cool Acres is the closest for me but Florida has a few venues, Arena in western GA is a great facility, carbon hill Alabama is good and K+M in Tennessee is top notch.
Awesome, thanks very much for the help, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I’ll check those out.

Arena is hosting a bunch of Quantified Performance matches this year. The PRS may have an issue with that or something. I don't know if the MPA is sanctioned or outlaw so I may be talking out my ass here.

I will be at the Coo; Acres match and have shot there many times. If you would like to talk or need any help feel free to reach out to me. I will have lots of various gear at the match if you would like to try different things.

Reactions: JA1989
Cool Acres is closer to where MPA is compared to the Arena.

That would be my guess.

Watching, great info, thanks.
I should at least go to a match.

I’m interested in GA PRS as well. Which PRS membership would I need to shoot one of these? Which class would I shoot? My gun is a Savage Model 12 in an Oryx chassis. I’ve been reloading and shooting out to 800 yards. Would love to try this, I know I could learn a lot.

Vince

I’m interested in GA PRS as well. Which PRS membership would I need to shoot one of these? Which class would I shoot? My gun is a Savage Model 12 in an Oryx chassis. I’ve been reloading and shooting out to 800 yards. Would love to try this, I know I could learn a lot.

Vince
No membership necessary, I’ve shot a handful of matches and never bought a membership, the membership has to do with competing in the finale and other series events to my understanding. What caliber is your rifle and what scope do you have

Vince
I will be at Cool Acres on the 29th and probably just going to bring my Savage 12FV in MDTs finest (cheapest) chassis with a Nikon Black FX1000.

Shooting for 2nd to last place this time. Movin' on up!

Do NOT stay at the Roadway Inn in Swainsboro. That place is a fucking shithole. Even Motel 6 dumped it. Owner has a nice Tesla, though... ug.

You don't need to be a PRS member to attend. Only thing being a PRS member at Cool Acres seems to get you is your score on a website. Not even a match discount.

I've never been to Arena. A co-worker of mine is apparently related to the ownership of that place. They don't seem to do a great job making their events known. Maybe I'm out of the right circle... that's probably it. It's really too bad shooting 1,000+ yards requires so much land. ;)

Vince

Also, your class is dictated by rifle modification and caliber (and a little bit of choice). PRS rules and regs will answer your question. But... unless you are actually a PRS member, nobody is going to class you "officially" so I wouldn't worry about it. I can tell you I've signed up as Tactical class twice at Cool Acres and been put into some other class. Unless you're already a great positional shooter, you won't either.

Just curious, does anyone know of any PRS events in Georgia, specifically south Georgia? I wouldn’t mind going and watching a couple matches, with the possibility of entering eventually.

You might also look at the Altus Shooting Solutions range in Baker, FL which is nearby Pensacola and Ft. Walton Beach. Quite the place.

Reactions: JA1989
Cool Acres in Swainsboro, GA -- PRS matches this weekend.
Centerfire on Saturday and rimfire on Sunday.

Reactions: Lightning8
Anyone know what time the match is in the morning? I’m registered but didn’t get a show time, thanks in advance

Be there before 7 am. Match starts at like 8 or 9.

It’s windy as fuuuuuuuk so hope your windage works. 🤪

Hope everyone had a good time at Cool Acres!

IMG_3310.jpg

It was cold and windy for sure. I didnt warm up all the way till i stood in a hot shower at 8:00 sat night. Didnt shoot as well as i hoped i would but did do better than i thought i did as the day went on

Thankfully, I wasn't too cold in the morning. I decided to try Under Armor ColdGear. I had the leggings (yoga pants!) and the corresponding shirt. This layer trapped body heat quite well. I had on top of that Under Armor sweat pants and sweater (their tighter running-oriented variety) which are very warm-as is. Then I had my, of course, super sweet operator-poser tactical pants on over that and my gun-related shirt and then a hoodie.

I will say, smelled like a dead animal by the end of the day, but I wasn't very cold. Highly recommend the ColdGear stuff from UA.

There's a small, club level match at Rifle Ranch this weekend, Feb 5th. AFAIK their only web presence is on FB.
About 1.5 hours west of Atlanta on I-20, right on the Ga-Al state line.

Reactions: HousePlant