• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any really good Chinese optics yet?

rossneder

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2006
Flagstaff, AZ
www.neder.com
Given the huge advances in China it seems reasonable that they can make very high quality scopes.

At Shot Show 2 years ago that was clearly not the case, the Chinese optics were a large step below the rest.

Things change, anybody know of any good stuff?

Ross

Re: Any really good Chinese optics yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Leupold?

</div></div>

Well played sir!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Leupold?

Jim </div></div>

That's what I was thinking.

I like my Chinese Tascos. MilDot 6-24x42. They've been doing everything I ask of them (4 on various from a 10/22 to a lightweight .30-'06) since early 2006. List price was under $80.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my Chinese Tascos. MilDot 6-24x42. They've been doing everything I ask of them (4 on various from a 10/22 to a lightweight .30-'06) since early 2006. List price was under $80. </div></div>

+1 to that. I took Greg's advice and tried one of the 2.5-10x versions and it worked so well that I bought a second one.

The 6-24 will get tried the next time I buy a scope

I would buy a BSA before I buy another Sh*tco. Will not hold adjustments, will not focus past 16X, the halo will drive you nuts also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Super Sniper? </div></div>

Japan

Very few quality shooting products come out of China... China seems to do well with electronics and mass production plastic but optics... I just don't see it.

New Tascos the same a Super Sniper? No experience with the Super Sniper, but I would say no.

The only shortcoming I've seen in common with my 6-24X42's is a lack of brightness to the image under lower light conditions. Where image brightness is concerned, I think that you still get what you pay for.

My applications seldom, if ever, require low light capability, so I'm happy with the tradeoff.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my Chinese Tascos. MilDot 6-24x42. They've been doing everything I ask of them (4 on various from a 10/22 to a lightweight .30-'06) since early 2006. List price was under $80. </div></div>

+1 to that. I took Greg's advice and tried one of the 2.5-10x versions and it worked so well that I bought a second one.

The 6-24 will get tried the next time I buy a scope </div></div>

My 2.5-10x just took a crap after something like 200 rounds of .308.
frown.gif

OK, I'm grateful for the input. Can you please be more specific about the manner in which it failed, because it would be something I'd want to look out for with my own scopes?

I'm not commenting on your choice of optics but "Quality Chinese" is an oxymoron.

Send any complaints about my comment to the UN.

Anyone heard of buy American or German?

I know I may catch shit for this, but the Chinese are still our enemies, hell you may as well buy cocaine from Mexican Cartels or Tar Heroin from the Taliban.

Go get your scope fix from the Chinese, it's OK everyone is doing it.

Don't mean to be an ass, but I am sick of seeing my country get sold to the damn Chinese for the last 20 years.

I'm sure that decent optics will come from China in the future... perhaps some well known brands already have a lot of chinese parts into them.

Somebody knows or care to guess the percentage of chinese parts in all the computers we are using?

Short answer: No

Long answer: While it's almost impossible to not buy Chinese made good these days, I absolutely never go out of my way to buy products produced in COMMUNIST China. In fact, I personally go out of my way to NOT buy communist goods. So even if they did make an OK scope, I would decide to pay for and employ folks in my own nation that respect the ideals of liberty and freedom for its citizens.......... Bottom line, buy a US made scope if possible. If that doesn't fit the budget, buy a scope from at least a US based company where the bulk of profits stay at home. Plenty of good options in the latter two categories.

And sadly, since you're like me in California, fellow Americans will go out of their way to not sell to us either...sigh.

Leupold! LOL Happy to see the word is getting out about another fine american produce made in China. But you still get to pay the made in America price.

I sick of China too. Alot of spotters are made there. I bought a Nikon a while back thinking it was Japanese glass. nope CHINESE!!! very clear and appears top quality but it still pissed me off. $350 range not the higher end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sonic Sammy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck China </div></div>

+ 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I hope this was a joke.

Sometimes I think these threads get started only to solicit more anti-Chinese (and I'm not talking about only Chinese products) sentiments...

I am a Taiwan-born Chinese. As much as I dislike the Communists threatening my family living in Taiwan almost on a daily basis, saying I will never purchase anything related to China in this day is unrealistic. Most packaging used to contain the food you get in grocery stores is made in China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, etc., anywhere but here... Try straightening out the Unionized labor system here in the US first, before wondering why jobs are lost to foreign Countries where corporate decisions and wages are not controlled, or heavily influenced by the unions, and where the cost of living and wages are much lower.

Leupold may be building scope parts, or maybe even assembling scopes overseas, but Leupold still has operations here, with workers here that demand higher wages, probably because they've only laid off the people who used to assemble scopes and do not require the kind of pay of the higher-tiered professionals they still have around. Not saying they are not making more money now that production is cheaper and they've kept the same, or raised prices, but in a downed economy, building capital to remain solvent is very important, unless you all would like Leupold to just go away completely? It is a business decision, simple as that. I was laid off twice two years ago and once last year due to poor economy in housing industry. It would be great for me to think the companies will keep me because I performed my duties and they valued me, but that would be naive on my part.

The Chinese industry is capable of making quality products, IF their US or European parent companies demand it. There is a difference in mentality where they may think something is "good enough", while the rest of the world would consider that sub par. BUT they will produce a product up to the highest requirements, again IF their customers (e.g. Leupold) demand it. Most of us are watching TV on sets made in China, regardless of brand. If you think your TV is crap and/or "tainted" feel free to give it away, I'm sure most will accept it with open arms. Better yet, just chuck it in the trash because it is Chinese crap.

For what is worth, I am waiting on my first USO scope because no other company is offering a custom scope and excellent customer service that is within driving distance from me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And sadly, since you're like me in California, fellow Americans will go out of their way to not sell to us either...sigh. </div></div>

Because we are considered the <span style="font-weight: bold">Communist</span> State of California by the rest of the country, so no one wants to have anything to do with us.

Ads with "Will not sell to California" on Gunbroker and sadly, even here, is multiplying, mostly because of the new FFL licensee checks and authorization letters prior to shipment of firearms. If the non-licensee sellers would only read the regulation, they would know that it does not apply to non-licensees at all, and they just need to send to a FFL as usual.

Ignorance is bliss... Or is it? Sellers are leaving money on the table for not selling to the hungry California market, and not helping the pro-gun populus here at all.

Apologies to Lowlight for the political nature of these two posts. Though not entirely about US politics, I do feel it still violated the Hide's political message policy. Please remove if necessary.