• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any reason for 6.5x47L

BigTex

Dr. Dickweed
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2013
    Now that Lapua makes brass for the 6.5 Creedmoor, is there any benefit to the 6.5x47L? I am having a Tikka/Proof/Manners done up and deciding on Caliber. Creed has a little more case volume and more factory ammo options. Factory loads are not a huge issue because I handload for everything else. I just had Beanland build me a 15lb 6.5x284, just want something lighter.

You pretty much covered the finer points. Personal preference really dictates here. I’ve used both and think each is great, whereas some give the 47 a accuracy/ease of loading edge.

Edit: If you already had one and we’re tooled up, stick with it. Since you’re starting new, Eenie meenie mienie mo is perfectly acceptable here.

That's what I had gathered, Thanks for the feedback. I'm not tooled up for either, but thinking of going Creed. Might be nice to shoot a factory load now and then.

I went with the 47 back in '14, before the CM had Lapua brass. May or may not have gone that route if that weren't the case. However, my builder told me from experience that the 47 just seems to shoot without much effort in load development. He was correct, because I found my sub ¼ MOA load in an afternoon, with shooting about 15 rounds.

CM is entirely more popular, and most people would invariably vote that over the 47. But I am more than happy with my 47 and wouldn't do anything different if I had to choose again

Reactions: BigTex
    Clearly the option is to get 2 barrels, a 47 and 6.5 creed... haha I will be building a short action rifle soon and am torn between these 2. Like the idea of having something different like the 47, I handload everything. I haven't bought loaded ammo (outside of like 223, and pistol ammo) in a long time. But still to be able to go to the store and buy 6.5 creed for cheap is really appealing. Especially if you want to take a class or something where you will shoot 500+ times in a weekend. Buying 500 rounds seems way more appealing to me than cranking out 500 rounds on my single stage....

Clearly the option is to get 2 barrels, a 47 and 6.5 creed... haha I will be building a short action rifle soon and am torn between these 2. Like the idea of having something different like the 47, I handload everything. I haven't bought loaded ammo (outside of like 223, and pistol ammo) in a long time. But still to be able to go to the store and buy 6.5 creed for cheap is really appealing. Especially if you want to take a class or something where you will shoot 500+ times in a weekend. Buying 500 rounds seems way more appealing to me than cranking out 500 rounds on my single stage....

While cranking out 500 rds is an absolute chore, I'd rather not buy ammo if I don't have to

Reactions: Rog2069 and Fig
    The one thing I do see that is appealing about the 47L is that it shoots with Varget. I plan on shooting 130gr Bergers, if they ever decide to make bullets again. Varget is a lot easier to find that 4350 around here. I load 4350 in my 260 and it hammers but its a PITA to get. The creed would double my need for it.

Reactions: dttheliman
    I don’t use varget but you are telling me that you can’t use varget in CM? Why is that?

Seems to be a little to fast for the larger case from what I've read. Not that you can't use it, it's just not ideal.

I don’t use varget but you are telling me that you can’t use varget in CM? Why is that?
    You can with the 130s but varget is just a tad too fast for 140s in a creed. Well at least compared to what h4350 will get you

You can with the 130s but varget is just a tad too fast for 140s in a creed. Well at least compared to what h4350 will get you
    Damn. Had no idea. When I shot 308, I’d use varget with a 175

Damn. Had no idea. When I shot 308, I’d use varget with a 175

The amount of bore area in the .30 is much much greater compared to the 6.5, bullet weight is only one constituent. The pressure curve is totally different given the same amount of powder. As a more extreme case, I use 61 grains of h322(fast powder for light bullets in .223) behind a 300 gr TSX in a 45-70. Seems like it would be a grenade, but it’s actually quite mild in my Sharps rifle.

Reactions: spife7980

It's ok with 123 grain bullets but when you get to the 140 grain bullets you will usually hit pressure before you get the speed you want. 4350 is pretty tough to beat in general with 6.5's

I can tell you from my standpoint, the Creedmoor made tons more sense to me simply because if I’m in a rush, didn’t get a chance to reload much, and have to go with factory ammo to shoot, having tons of factory ammo options in Lubbock makes a ton of sense for me. But you are correct, H4350 is a bitch to find around here.

Reactions: BigTex
    X47 here, granted I'm running the 6mm version now. Still have a 6.5 barrel. I did the X47 and a Creed at the same time, got both Bartlein barrels at the same time. Like said above, x47 was stupidly easy to find the sweet spot. My brother went Creed as he needed factory ammo. Right now the only caliber I see other than the X47 is the 6mm competition match. But since I have barely enough time to load and shoot, something I have to fire form is out of the question currently.

I bought my x47 before Lapua made Creedmoor brass. But I just ordered my own x47 reamer if that tells you anything about my plans for jumping on the Creed bandwagon. I roll all my own, so I don't care about factory ammo. When I was working up my lad for the x47 I tried five different charges of both H4350 and Varget. ALL TEN five shot groups with two different powders measured 0.6 inches or less at 100yds. It was the easiest load work up I've ever done. I have no reason to change to gain a few more FPS.
    Steve

How many posts mention about how easy the load workup is for the 47? That’s gotta tell you something.

You can’t go wrong with either round, there’s a lot of people still running 6.5x47L that have probably burnt out several barrels since the Lapua Creedmoor brass has been out. There’s also a lot of people running Creedmoor successfully.

As to ease of loading, I don’t see how anything could be easier than the 6.5 Creedmoor. You can literally take any new brass, prep it, and load it with H4350 and 140 Hybrids .020” off the lands and it’s going to shoot. I have two Creeds currently and have had 4 others previously and every single one had nodes at 41.5gr, 42gr, 42.2gr, 42.5gr, and 42.7gr like clockwork. I just did this yesterday with my AI AXMC barrel testing the Starline SR brass and it was the same result.

I’ve never loaded 6.5x47L but I did load 6x47L and 6mm Creedmoor. The 6x47L was probably the most finicky barrel I’ve ever loaded for, possibly only matched by a long throated 7WSM that I had years ago. The 6mm Creedmoor while not quite as forgiving as the 6.5mm variant was still super easy, even less picky than 243 has been for me which I also find pretty forgiving with H1000 and H4350.

How many posts mention about how easy the load workup is for the 47? That’s gotta tell you something.

while the x47 might be extremely easy to tune, there are quite a few variables that sway things in its favor vs the creed if you only look at it on a surface level...the x47 is pretty much a boutique cartridge, very few really new shooters or new to reloading shooters using it, hardly any factory rifles chambered in it so x47 rifles are generally higher quality, one brass source so reamer variations arent an issue....compared to a Creed that any tom, dick, and harry who just started shooting or reloading can run out and get 20 different low quality factory rifles of all sorts of variations in barrel quality...my 22, 6, and 6.5 creeds have all be hassle free...ive been running the same 6.5 load for 3 barrels now cause it shoots in every one of them

while the x47 might be extremely easy to tune, there are quite a few variables that sway things in its favor vs the creed if you only look at it on a surface level...the x47 is pretty much a boutique cartridge, very few really new shooters or new to reloading shooters using it, hardly any factory rifles chambered in it so x47 rifles are generally higher quality, one brass source so reamer variations arent an issue....compared to a Creed that any tom, dick, and harry who just started shooting or reloading can run out and get 20 different low quality factory rifles of all sorts of variations in barrel quality...my 22, 6, and 6.5 creeds have all be hassle free...ive been running the same 6.5 load for 3 barrels now cause it shoots in every one of them
    I agree. The CM is certainly taking the new shooting community by storm. However, if I end up shooting out my 47, I have no problem spinning up another

I haven't done any real load workup on my 6.5x47s in 3 years. The case is basically perfect for using Varget and 123-140s and my 140 hybrid and varget load has shot sub 1/4" with 6 or less SDs and all right around 2790-2820 depending on barrel length. It is the most forgiving cartridge I've ever loaded for and I will never find myself without one in my safe. Just remember it isn't a saum or 260 Ackley and don't try to turn it one or you'll never be satisfied with it.

Reactions: Rog2069
    I like my 47 over my Creedmoor. Less powder. Same velocity and most importantly a different type of powder than Creedmoor which is a bonus imo. I think the 47 is also better for fitting certain bullets to mag length, especially VLD style 140’s than the Creedmoor. There is less boiler room so if your wanting to really push it then maybe you’ll see more velocity from Creedmoor but I like that I don’t have to worry about being Too long for mag length with the 47. I was always on the edge of too long with my creed.

Reactions: flyer
    That’s another thing too, not being in the rat race for 4350. I’ve never bought a pound of the stuff and hope never to

There are a few powders out now that are good substitutes for h4350. Id argue that RL16 is flat better in velocity and temp stability. It’s big brother, RL26, produces velocities that h4350 couldn’t dream of in a creedmoor. RL 26 allows me to shoot 147’s in the creed that exceed my h4350/140 load by a good margin(~100fps). Like stepping up to a 6.5-284.

Last edited:
    Hunting for H4350 is a real bitch. I was pulling my hair out trying to find the stuff in stock at a fair price.

I like my 6.5 creedmoor, but bought it because I wasn't yet into reloading.

If I was to have a sole 6.5mm cartridge today, it would be 6.5x47L. There's a reason why it's considered THE 6.5mm benchrest round. Easy to load, easy to tune, excellent consistency. Considered inherently accurate as well.

I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is a great cartridge. I'm not going to sell all my 6.5 creedmoor stuff to adopt a 6.5x47L. I've never played with a 6.5x47L, and probably never will. But if it's as consistent, easy to tune and as accurate as all the reports are, I bet it edges out the 6.5 Creedmoor by a very slight margin.

I played with just one bullet and one powder and found my magic load in one afternoon. I’ve had an easy time with 300wm and 338, but not nearly as easy as the 47

Just dropped off the action and ordered the proof blank today. Wanted to go 22", but had to go 24" since the Tikka uses a smaller shank. I'm really leaning toward the 47L. Velocity is not a huge concern as I already have a 6.5x284, and 7mmRUM. I just want a range toy with better barrel life and might smoke the occasional critter. 47L seems like a winner to me just due to being less competition for components.

I think it would be cool to be able to shoot factory ammo, but who am I kidding? I dont even shoot factory .223, .243, .308,or .270 even though I could.

Reactions: SND
    Yeah it's an 8 twist proof Sendero 1.13" shank 24"

24 is a great length in my opinion; not too long but gives you the velocity you need. It's what i am running.

I was hoping to go shorter. I have a 26" x284 and it gets pretty long with the ultra7 on the end

You can definitely get away with a 22 without losing too much. I’ve seen a 20, but you may be down close to 100 fps

I've been shooting 260 since 2014. Never had a problem per se, but this summer I'm spinning up a creedmoor barrel. Industry support everywhere, factory ammo everywhere if I need it. Nothing to lose.

The x47 has tempted me before but anymore there's not much reason not to go Creed. Rl26 and 147s is also a big pull towards the creedmoor.

6.5 Creedmoor has more case capacity and seems to suit the 147 grain ELD-M quite well.

Same for same (high quality barrel, Lapua brass and good hand loads), the Creedmoor probably has a little bit longer legs.

Creedmoor certainly has better box ammo convenience, more smiths have reamers, there are lots of off the shelf rifle options (including RPR) and building a 6.5 Creedmoor AR is an internet order and a trip to the FFL away.

When I was breaking in my first 6.5 Creedmoor (an AR built from parts), there was another guy getting ready for a match with his 6.5*47 bolt action. I forget what he had except his S&B scope but I assume it was something fancy and I'll just say my first break in group with Hornady 140 grain AMAX box ammo shot as well as any of his hand loads at 100 yards.

I don't know how good 6.5*47 is but it would be hard to be very much better than 6.5 Creedmoor.

You pretty much covered the finer points. Personal preference really dictates here. I’ve used both and think each is great, whereas some give the 47 a accuracy/ease of loading edge.

Edit: If you already had one and we’re tooled up, stick with it. Since you’re starting new, Eenie meenie mienie mo is perfectly acceptable here.
    Ha! Great analogy.

I think whichever caliber I go with it will be a shooter as it is being chambered by John Beanland. I was leaning 47L to stay out of the h4350 fiasco, and to be a cool kid, but now I am kinda leaning toward the Creedmoor and just shooting factory in this gun for a change. As bad as I hate to be a band-wagoner, it's a lot less time consuming to buy 500rds of ammo than to load it, and as life goes on I find that I have less and less free time. I enjoy loading and do it for everything I own from 7RUM to 9mm, just thinking about doing something different. How hard is Prime ammunition to come by? It appears to be out of stock right now. I'm wanting to shoot the 130s in this one since I have a x284 to shoot the heavies in.

I have a beanland built 6.5x47 and it is awesome! My brother in law has almost the same rifle in 6.5 creedmoor, also built by beanland. The only difference between them is caliber, his has a heavier barrel, and triggers. Both shoot very well. I don't think the ballistic advantage is big enough that you would hit a target with the creed but miss with the 47.

I went 6.5x47 for the lapua brass. Of lapua had made brass for the creedmoor when I bought I would have gone creedmoor for the factory available ammo.

With that said I doubt I will ever own a creedmoor since I'm already tooled up for 6.5x47 and the advantage is so small it's not worth it to change.

The question,should be why NOT 6.5x47 ive owned all 6.5creed 260 even 6 creed..even with creed or 260 lapua brass i still choose x47..its a smaller case yet ive seen x47 going faster than 6.5creed same length barrel 1.5-2gr diff more on powder..6mm br 10 shots group holder done by x47..ive seen more benchrest and f class using x47 putting creedmore and 260 together...sure there's a reason for that...and like lot of people above said..its so easy to do load dev..pretty much hardest part is to choose which out of the 10 shooting great with single digits you should pick

I have both, and the 6.5x47 go to the range twice the time as the 6.5CM. The 6.5x47 is so forgiven for reloading that is very difficult to find something that doesn't work with it. Varget, H4350, IMR4451, you name it and you always get less than 1/3 MOA with SD single digits.

I shoot a 6.5 SLR and with the 130 RDF and 40.8 gr of Varget I am getting 2922 out of a suppressed 22" Broughton. Varget will work with the lighter bullets but you will have to go 4350 with 140's

I shoot a 6.5 SLR and with the 130 RDF and 40.8 gr of Varget I am getting 2922 out of a suppressed 22" Broughton. Varget will work with the lighter bullets but you will have to go 4350 with 140's
    Thats what makes x47 great..being a small volume/capacity case even 140s and varget still good combo