• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any reason not to go with a 300 Norma

uafgrad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2004
Fairbanks, Alaska
I am waiting on parts (Badger Action mostly) to have a long range rifle built for me by Robert Snyder rwsnydergunsmithing

Originally, I had intended to go with a 338LM built around the new CIP length AICS stock.

Although limited, I really like everything that I have read so far on the 300N and am giving great thought into having my rifle built in 300N instead of the 338LM.
Running numbers through quickload/quicktarget, it looks as though the two cartridges are very similar ballistically

So, is there any reason not to get the 300 Norma Mag?
FWIW, I reload, so I don't have to worry about availability or cost of factory ammo.

Re: Any reason not to go with a 300 Norma

I too am very interested in the 300 Norma for a build. Price wise it is a little less expensive for reloading components with similar results ballistically but for energy. No worries about mag length. Very flat trajectory. Less recoil. Maybe.

Anyone shooting one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go for it </div></div>

+1

PM Tom Sarver here on the Hide, he has a lot of experience with the 300 Norma and has nothing but good things to say about it. It looks like a great round.

It always depends on what you're going to use it for. If it were mostly just about poking targets I would go for the 300N. Of course, if it were tactical I would go for the 300N. Actually, I can't think of a use where I wouldn't choose the 300N over the 338LM.

I had Preston build me one after shooting his.
It is the most accurate "heavy" that I have ever shot.
I ended up settling on berger 210s at 3060 for a load not that much different than a stoked up 300 win mag, but it is easy on brass, and shoots in the 3's.
It will do anything that I ever need and is easier to hit with than a 338.