• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any reason NOT to go with a stock 700 trigger?

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
After going round and round with trigger selections I keep coming back to the stock pre-2006 Remington Trigger. It's a known quantity since I have never had any problems with it on the M40A1.

This is a "hard use" duty gun that will also be used in competitions. Trigger pull will be around 2.5-3 lbs. No less.

Is there any reason NOT to go with the stock trigger? Are there any other aftermarket triggers that I should look at that will be trustworthy on a rifle that will get drug through the dirt?

Timney and Rifle Basix are the only two aftermarket triggers that I have been seriously considering. I have seen one Timney failure and have no experience with Rifle Basix.

When we are not talking about superlight triggers and bench guns, is there any trigger that really offers an advantage over the stocker?

Re: Any reason NOT to go with a stock 700 trigger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After going round and round with trigger selections I keep coming back to the stock pre-2006 Remington Trigger. It's a known quantity since I have never had any problems with it on the M40A1.

This is a "hard use" duty gun that will also be used in competitions. Trigger pull will be around 2.5-3 lbs. No less.

Is there any reason NOT to go with the stock trigger? </div></div>

No. I'd use it all day, every day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a "hard use" duty gun that will also be used in competitions. Trigger pull will be around 2.5-3 lbs. No less.

Is there any reason NOT to go with the stock trigger? </div></div>

No reason to upgrade if you are going to leave it set where it is. Buy some more bullets with that!!!

I have an X-Mark right now, so I will be buying a replacement no matter what. If I had a pre-2006 I would keep it, but since I have to buy something I want to see if there is any better option.

I have a stock Old style remy on my .308 G.A. precision tuned it for me. I love it. Also have a rifle basix on my .300 wm. So far i love it to no problems around 300 rounds with it so we'll see. But so far no complaints.

Reason I went with a Rifle Basix to replace an XMark on one of my 700's was simply because you can just log onto their website and order one, whereas you have to go FIND a pre-Xmark Rem trigger.

LoneWolfUSMC - I am fairly new to this. What is the matter with post 2006 Rem triggers? Are they too lawyer friendly, unreliable, poorly made, bad break? I am working on my first nice build and it will be used hard and would love to know which triggers I should stay away from and why. Are pre-2006 rem triggers hard to find?

The problem with the X-Mark triggers is they are not consistent. Mine started fine and got heavier as it "wore in". At about 900 rounds or so the pull was over 1.5lbs heavier than it measured when new.

I adjusted it down to 2.5lbs. It worked well for 100-150 rounds, now it's getting heavier again. The screws have not moved. It should not be creeping up in weight.

The pre-2006 are kind of hard to find for a reasonable price. I have not been able to get ahold of Remington yet to see if I can get one through their LE Service department.

The pull and break were fine before it started it's downward spiral. Personally I don't like smooth trigger shoes. For this reason alone I would rather have the old trigger.

Is that a common problem with these triggers or is it a case of bad QC? I had a 2001 Rem 700 PSS, sold it to my Dad to fund some forgotten adventure or another. He is still shooting 1MOA or better with it (and laughing at me the whole time). Maybe I should buy his trigger.
Any of the after market triggers built as reliable as the pre-2006's? I don't want to go lighter than 3-4 lbs.
Thanks

I personally like the pre 2006 but even with those triggers the pull can be inconsistent. One pull will brake at 2lb the next 3lb. I am going to start slowly replacing most of them with shilen triggers. I do have one pre 06 that work properly every time, thus far anyway!! Lee

I've found the stock mid 70's to mid 80's triggers, with a spring change are my best for, none bench needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally like the pre 2006 but even with those triggers the pull can be inconsistent. One pull will brake at 2lb the next 3lb. I am going to start slowly replacing most of them with shilen triggers. I do have one pre 06 that work properly every time, thus far anyway!! Lee</div></div>

That's exactly the problem I was having with my Xmark.

If this helps, I wanted a Timney but I hate the shoe design its too much arc, deep and high so its hard for me to get low on the shoe and squeeze straight back.

RB according to them, is as close to the old school 700 trigger there is but with better parts. I was told RB has consistency issues but not until I got to -25F have I have issues. On a pull gauge, mine has broke at 16-18 ounces every time I tested it. The shoe is near identical as the old school Remmy. I really like mine.

But, when I ordered my GAP, George said he recommends the Remmy 40X for a field tact Crusader rifle, he knows more than me and will work it over so Aug I should know!

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scimitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you get springs to replace with? </div></div>

Brownells, has springs for everything, just search "Spring Kits".
I picked up a few assorted kits years ago, and find I can taylor them to any firearm need or modification I may want to make. The kits are cheap for the number of things you can do with them.

The learning curve to be able to seat them correctly (none guide rod type) was short. Just remember they should set flat in the seats an you'll be fine.

Thanks, I know Surgeon uses Rem triggers as an option I will have to ask if they are using the 40x. I can always upgrade later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what springs need replacing?? </div></div>

Need? That depends on the end result your looking for. I replaced all of them, trigger an bolt as well. It took me awhile to achive the bolt lift/feel, and trigger pull I wanted, but it was worth the effort.

Brownells sells just a trigger spring, (weight of pull) an ejector spring, but those alone did not do what I was after, thats why I went the other route. I've resprung my M16, M14e2, an clones, .22lrs, 41 Smith, 1911a1's an many others with the kits.
The nice thing is once you get into it you can fine tune to your hearts content, an the outcome is normally worth every penny an minute,...Less the learning curve.

My X-mark trigger was lightened up to about 2.5# by a smith. After about 200 rounds it began to slam fire upon closing the bolt.

I forgot to mention, I went with the old style trigger set up by Mike R. of Tac-Ops. I think he sold the assembly to me for about $100.