• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Any reason to use an oversized lug with an AICS?

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Looking to spruce up a 700 PSS in 300WM.

Want to keep it simple just planning on having the action trued an a RCB 5R installed. I plan to drop it in either an AICS or maybe an HS stock. In either case the recoil lug area would have to be opened up to fit a BO or similar oversized lug.

Its my understanding that the reason for an oversized lug is to provide more surface area for bedding. If I dont intend to use a McM or Manners type stock that needs to be bedded is there really any reason to replace the lug when it gets rebarreled?

The cost of the lug at 30 bucks is trivial I'm more concened about having the machine work done to whichever stock I use. Since I dont know which stock I will stick with I would like to keep it as "Drop in" as possible if I decide to swap the AICS with an HS or vice versa.

Would I be making a mistake by having a factory sized lug reinstalled when the barrel is replaced or should I just suck it up and go oversized?

R/
A.S.

Re: Any reason to use an oversized lug with an AICS?

There is absolutely no reason to install an oversized recoil lug in your situation.

I dropped a Stiller TAC300 in an AICS 1.5 LA using the standard Remington size lug that Stiller supplies with his actions. It fits fine, and most importantly it works without machining the stock or trimming the length off the lug. I've never seen a real need for one of those gargantuan lugs on a "normal" build.

Buy a standard Remington size lug from any of several custom manufacturers so that you know that the lug you're installing is straight and true. That's all you need.

Only ever once employed a thicker replacement lug when upgrading a rifle. All I can say with any certainty is that it didn't hurt anything.

Do not have the factory lug reinstalled, at least not without it being surface ground. Just buy a quality lug that is the same thickness as the factory.

I think PTG makes a lug that doesn't need surface grinding and is not much thicker than the factory.

Even if you change to a Badger Lug it will have to be ground. This is something that shouldn't be skipped when rebarreling/truing actions.

Remington Lugs are .185"ish and the Tubb is .345"+ If installing a Tubb or larger than Remington in an AICS the front of the chassis lug recess will have to be opened and the lug bottom milled off slightly. PTG has two different lugs. One that looks like the Remington style lug and one that has tapered sides, both are extremely flat. The Tubb lugs are never flat and always require grinding. I ground 6 today and none were flat. Yes BSP212, one of the six was yours.

If you decide to mill out the AICS, I would suggest fully bedding the the recoil lug. The last few AICS stocks I bedded after milling out did very well with a full tang bed.

Otherwise just skim it behind the lug.

Thanks guys thats what I needed to hear.

Good call on replacing the factory lug with a precision ground lug from the aftermarket. Makes sense but I wasnt aware they were an option. All I have seen for lugs are the BO type super thick style.

BTW I have owned two Surgeon based rifles one was in an AICS and indeed was Skim bedded after being milled as well as at the tang by Preston and the gang at SR. Current rifle is a surgeon in an A4 bedded by APA/PAI.

This will be my first go around with an actual Rem 700. I wanted to see what my options were since I didnt really have the option with the Surgeons due to the one piece design of that action.

Thanks again for the help and reccomendations it made things a lot easier to plan.

A.S.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide to mill out the AICS, I would suggest fully bedding the the recoil lug. The last few AICS stocks I bedded after milling out did very well with a full tang bed.

Otherwise just skim it behind the lug. </div></div>

out of curiosity, why should you bed the aics if you open up the recoil lug area? the rear of the recoil lug area in the aics doesn't need to be machined. to me, it seems that it should act the same way as a non machined aics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">out of curiosity, why should you bed the aics if you open up the recoil lug area? the rear of the recoil lug area in the aics doesn't need to be machined. to me, it seems that it should act the same way as a non machined aics. </div></div>

Thats the way I see it and have done it. I would'nt bed an AI stock or mill out behind the lug or the bottom of the recess.

I was thinking of one of a BAT repeater I dropped in once where we had to.