• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any recommendations for a top notch AR platform gunsmith?

Leicafan1990

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2022
USA
In the past, I’ve done all of my own builds but I recently moved to a new city for work and I no longer have a garage with a proper workspace and tools.

I’m looking to get an upper assembled by a really good smith who specializes in precision AR builds. I’m looking for the works, stuff like truing the receiver face, bedding the barrel into the upper with shim stock, properly adjusting the gas tube for proper carrier fit, polishing feed ramps, checking the barrel for quality, gauging the BCG.

I went all out with this build with a Bartlein 223 Wylde barrel from Craddock so I want to squeeze every bit of accuracy I can out of it.

Any recommendations for gunsmiths who would do this build justice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: simonp
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of a smith that does the above work (specifically face truing) on the Aero Enhanced (integral barrel nut) uppers?

I contacted D. Wilson who said he’s never trued one and didn’t think it could be done.

I’ve seen posts that suggest Bexar Arms does, but they haven’t responded to my attempts to contact them to confirm.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of a smith that does the above work (specifically face truing) on the Aero Enhanced (integral barrel nut) uppers?

I contacted D. Wilson who said he’s never trued one and didn’t think it could be done.

I’ve seen posts that suggest Bexar Arms does, but they haven’t responded to my attempts to contact them to confirm.

G&G rifle works made a lapping tool for the M4E1s. Not sure if they are still able to be sourced but if so it would be easy to do yourself. I have their AR-10 lapping kit and it works great.

Edited to add: can’t seem to find a website for them now, but my return label on the box indicates I bought direct from them. You might give them a call.

G&G rifle works made a lapping tool for the M4E1s. Not sure if they are still able to be sourced but if so it would be easy to do yourself. I have their AR-10 lapping kit and it works great.

Edited to add: can’t seem to find a website for them now, but my return label on the box indicates I bought direct from them. You might give them a call.

I’ve seen those mentioned, but couldn’t find them. Best I could tell, they’re out of business.

X-Caliber makes a similar tool (BART) that they list for the enhanced uppers (M4E1 and M5E1), but I’m not super confident that I wouldn’t screw it up.

I’ve seen those mentioned, but couldn’t find them. Best I could tell, they’re out of business.

X-Caliber makes a similar tool (BART) that they list for the enhanced uppers (M4E1 and M5E1), but I’m not super confident that I wouldn’t screw it up.
I’ve not used the x-caliber. I believe G&G is still running their shop in TN but they don’t have a website I can find anymore. They open at 9 this morning (est) according to google.

I’ve not used the x-caliber. I believe G&G is still running their shop in TN but they don’t have a website I can find anymore. They open at 9 this morning (est) according to google.
I may try to give them a call then if I can’t find a shop to do it. Thanks!

Reactions: jb0311

Looking at the x-caliber, it looks similar to the G&G I have but my G&G doesn’t have the drill adapter on the end. IMO there is no need at all to use a drill. The lapping compound and turning by hand is enough.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I may try to give them a call then if I can’t find a shop to do it. Thanks!

They aren’t hard to do, just turn by hand and keep checking. I’ve not seen a square aero yet. After a couple turns it’s easy to see when part of the receiver face is sliver and the rest is still black. Just keep turning and checking till the whole face is silver. There are YouTube videos on it. I was a little nervous as well but it’s easy. Now my lapping kit was around $50 plus shipping several years back so it may be just as cost effective to have them do it for you if you’re only needing one done.

Buy a quality upper like a VLTOR MUR1 or Seekins and send it to Craddock and have him assemble it for you. No reason to true either of those receiver faces. Have him bed the receiver with loctite 620 and assemble it, that’s all you need when you use top quality components.

Try Dtechuppers.com Mike trues receivers and takes in parts for builds using his machined Shilen barrels.

Reactions: simonp
Where do you guys buy the G&G lapping tool from? Any distributor or from G&G rifle works?