• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing any recommended smiths near phoenix-cottonwood area az?

manscout

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
looking to get a simple .308 700 built right for the lowest cost. any ideas?

Don't know about lowest cost..but.. Phoenix Custom build's a hell of a rifle!

was my first choice based on my quick searches. just making sure i'm getting the max value per dollar. looking at the ptg 700 actions. come blueprinted with a rail and trigger at $430. however, i know a lot of builders won't use that action as is or refuse to use it period. i want an 18.5" straight contour, muzzle thread, 1-8 twist r700 barreled action.

Lowest cost and building a good rifle don't belong in the same post.

With that said, I have 2 PCR builds and they are fantastic.

In my opinion you have 4 options of builders..
In no particular order
​​​​​-LRI
​​​​​-SAC
-​Phoenix Custom
-​Dave Tool​​​​​ey
There are many others that can do what you want,however those listed I have 1st hand experience with,and are GREAT!
I would personally stay clear of PTG, to much drama.
Pick up a cheap donor and have your chosen smith do their thing.
Take My .02 for just that..My .02
You would not be disappointed with any of the smith's listed. They will all build you a tack driver,and are great people too.
If you want to stick with the PTG action,give the smith's a call to see if they will use them ,if that is something you are concerned with.
Have you thought about what barrel you are wanting to use?

Lowest cost and building a good rifle don't belong in the same post.

^^^This ^^^
Kind of like tattoos, Good is not cheap,and cheap is not good. But you can get a QUALITY rig for a reasonable price...and "Bang" for buck..you can't go wrong with those that The German,or I listed.

Although i appreciate the specifics for builders, the part about "lowest cost and good rifle don't belong together" is absolutely ridiculous. You're telling me that in order to have a good rifle, i need to find the MOST expensive builder.. no. not true. i've seen factory guns shoot <.25 moa. it's not like it's magic building an accurate rifle. i just need someone to put a barrel on an action the proper way. paying extra because other people pay extra isn't what i am looking to do.

Could you please explain what you mean about drama with ptg?

What i'm saying is at the end of the day, a $10k rifle won't be any more discernibly accurate than less expensive guns with good barrels set up right. i don't need the slickest thing with the premium elitist builder name attached, just something that'll fit a r700 footprint moderately square in .308 with the barrel specifics i'm talking about.

Maybe "Drama" was the wrong word choice with PTG..but piss poor customer service. See link and form your own opinion. I would stay away,but that is just me. I have also seen good reports on them,for me..I don't want to take that chance.
None of the builders listed above are the most expensive by any means..they will screw a tube on your action the proper way,and treat it as their own,and an affordable price. I agree 100% with you about spending 10k on a rig..not a chance.
Any of those listed can machine,and screw a tube on anywhere from 3-350.
If you go with any listed you are looking at
3-35​​​​0 for the barrel
3-3​​​​50 for the machine work on the barrel,and screw it on.
And about 150-250 to true the action.
YMMV.
If you are looking for a smith that will do the work for $200,you need to continue to look is what I'm saying.
A quality barreled action,put together by quality people is not a bad deal..again My .02 take it for that.

Last edited:
Ah. Thanks. I appreciate your advice. making a call to lri and pcr today.

No worries,I'm sure either one will be able to do what you need,as they both build tack drivers.
Attached is a group from last build from LRI 7mag 3 shots @ 200 yds. You will be happy with the results from either shop.
Edited to add: this group is shots 5-7 through the tube..can't wait to see what it does with more rounds down the tube.
20170408_180722.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked up a rifle from PCR. Had them true a Remington 700 action, chamber and install a Krieger barrel, thread muzzle and install a contoured brake, bed action in a McMillan A3, install a bolt knob, and cerakote.

Im very pleased with the work they did and how well the rifle shoots. They sent me pictures along the way, which was very cool. Pricing was in line with other custom builders, and the turnaround was very quick. I highly recommend them.

Gary Ocock of GO Precision in Surprise, AZ.

Benchrest competitor, Hall of Fame member, etc. He builds a nice rifle.

-Rick

I'll add a plus one to Gary O'cock.
He's a very good BR gunsmith and will build a great shooting rifle

Another vote for Nick Owens at Owens Armory. They're building my 6CM right now and it's an easy drive from Phoenix Metro to Chino Valley.

PCR has built 3 of my rifles. ALL tack drivers. 6.5 SLR, 7RM, .300RUM.

6.5 SLR
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i642.photobucket.com\/albums\/uu142\/lancetkenyon13\/New%2065%20SLR%20Build\/20170612_170836_zpsb5axvjka.jpg"}[/IMG2]

3 shots @ 200 yds 140 HVLD @ 2940fps

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i642.photobucket.com\/albums\/uu142\/lancetkenyon13\/New%2065%20SLR%20Build\/20150321_101452_zpsj5dyrdam.jpg"}[/IMG2]

637 yard shot

7RM

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i642.photobucket.com\/albums\/uu142\/lancetkenyon13\/New%207mm%20RM%20Build\/20170612_165449_zpsr4hutyxb.jpg"}[/IMG2]

5 shots at 800 yds 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i642.photobucket.com\/albums\/uu142\/lancetkenyon13\/New%207mm%20RM%20Build\/20170401_135055_zpsbsmwnv0r.jpg"}[/IMG2]

75 yard shot (before it got the new stock and swapped glass)

.300RUM (still a work in progress, waiting on a McMillan Adjustable Game Warden, then Cerakote too.)

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i642.photobucket.com\/albums\/uu142\/lancetkenyon13\/300RUM%20Build\/20170612_163926_zpsooad75iu.jpg"}[/IMG2]

3 shots @ 200 yds 230 Hybrid @ 3060fps

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i642.photobucket.com\/albums\/uu142\/lancetkenyon13\/300RUM%20Build\/20170513_143928_zpskdrpvawc.jpg"}[/IMG2]

437 yard shot

Last edited: