• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Any Red Dot Preference...Leupold, Trijicon, etc

ocherp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
I'm in the market for a red dot that will be used on a Glock project I'm working on. I've been looking at the Trijicon RMR, specifically the Dual Illuminated ones. What do you guys think about the RMR? Thanks.

Re: Any Red Dot Preference...Leupold, Trijicon, etc

I'm thinking about doing something similar. Download the CDNN catalogue they have a great deal on the Docter Optic red dot.

Give Burris Fastfire a look. I have been running 2 of them for the last 9 months on (1) Glock 17, (2) simrad mount on top of a Leupold Mk. 4 on a HS Precision RDT 308 platform. Have been completely satisfied with their performance, especially on the Glock system. It runs with a Gemtech Tundra unit spitting out 147 gr. loads seems like a match made in heaven.

I have a Burris unti on my 10 guage turkey gun , that things gets the hell beat out of it and still runs fine , great site for the money

I have 2 fastfire II's and 2 RMR Dual Illuminated.

Both are good. Both work well. In the end, I find myself wishing that both the Dual Illuminated ones were the Battery operated type.

After playing with a battery operated type of RMR the dot was just sharper, brighter, higher contrast and smaller than the Dual Illumination versions.

At the same time, I find myself liking the simplicity of the dual illuminated versions. I have one on an SPR as a fast secondary sight. As a secondary or backup sight, I find it comforting that it doesn't need batteries. Still the tritium will die over time. As a primary on a pistol, they can be a bit difficult to pick up.

Really consider paying a little more for the Battery operated RMR. (I really wish that trijicon would offer this optic at the same price as their Dual Illumination version.)

I'd consider getting the Bowie Tactical setup.

RMR_dovetail_glock_crop-304x229.jpg

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/servicesandshipping.html

I have the RMR on a FNP and I find the tall suppressor sights to make the field of view too cluttered.

Salmonaxe,
Thanks for the heads up about brightness and contrast, didn't even think about that. I was thinking more along the lines of not having to worry about batteries and what not.

That's actually the set up I'm doing, just trying to figure out which red dot to get. It'll be on a 21 SF with a red dot and BUIS with an AAC TiRant.

Oh yeah, and on the Dual illumination RMR, they use a very distinct blue filter to gain better contrast with the amber dot. The battery operated version must have some filter, but it's nearly impossible to tell. Looks like clear glass from the rear. Battery life on the RMR battery version is supposed to be REALLY good. Since you're doing a glock, maybe put the wrench for the optic and an extra 2032 battery in a grip plug?

I will say that the RMR dual illuminated sight has better contrast and didn't wash out the same way I saw on old Trijicon Reflex sights. I don't know if you'd seen those, but this is a large improvement over them. (Less wash out brighter dot and less of a blue filter to the glass.)

Sounds like you'll have a sweet setup. I really want to get a similar setup for a glock 34 slide and put it on my CCF raceframe.