• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any residents of Tucson/Sedona area? Looking for travel advice

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Last October I took my mother to her final resting place in Marana, AZ. She loved the desert southwest so now the Arizona sun greets her every morning as she is between Saguaro National Park and the Catalina mountains. I was there in AZ. for 2 days and had only one mission. Nothing else mattered.

My wife and I are going to Arizona for a week this time. Of course 1st stop is Marana, perhaps a few days in Tucson area, the Saguaro park looks awesome, as well as Mount Lemmon to the east. We plan to run north to Sedona for the rest of the week. I would appreciate any advice from members - except "stay out of AZ." - about any places that are a must see. We both planned on lots of hiking and enjoying the natural scenery. But I would like to find a damn good steak ;), maybe some boots, a cool hat. (Yeah, I'm that guy..) Don't want to drop into any chain stores or restaurants, so clue me in as to best spots for such items, including a fine bourbon. I won't be taking any firearms, seems like a hassle to fly with heaters, despite reciprocity with Ohio, but I'll have a few quality blades on my person. Any shady antics happening in above mentioned parks that I should know about? Shady spots to avoid? Best defense against a Gila Monster? :unsure: Thanks as always!

Doug

IMG_2760.jpg

Last edited:
Flying with guns isn't a hassle at all. At least no worse than all the other bullshit associated with airlines today.

Antis love it when we refrain from doing something legal with firearms because it "might be a hassle".

As you mentioned, The Saguaro National Park is a must. There is also The Arizona Desert Museum near the Park. Really informative about the local flora and fauna. When you go to Sedona (which personally I'd avoid as its turned into a tourist trap) take the interstate up to Flagstaff. You might want to stop at Montezuma's Castle National Park on the way. Flag is a beautiful area and then take scenic highway 89A through Oak Creek Canyon back to Sedona. About half way down the canyon there is a place called Slide Rock State Park where you can swim and slide quite a ways on rocks polished smooth by the water of Oak Creek. Food will be no problem, theyre are lots of over priced good restaurants in Sedona, but Id just look at the Red Rocks and go on to Cottonwood for supper. Its a long drive so you might want to spend the night along the way so as to have plenty of time to explore. If I were ever to move from Virginia thats the area Id head for.

To the south is Cochise's Stronghold for exploring. They have Mexican Blue Oaks, like a Texas Post Oak but with blue leaves.

Just saw this this morning. We've lived full time near Tucson for the past 18-years since retiring from the federal government. The best place for a steak (or ribs) is Li'l Abners Steakhouse 8500 Silverbell Rd. I've been going here for well over 30 years.

I'll write more once the morning coffee kicks in...

My wife and I spent a week there last summer, it was honestly the asshole of the earth. Like the Iraqi desert for old people. Sedona is a gully full of weirdos trying to realign their good spirits with crystals and tourist garbage, they even had a Mackinaw Island fudge shop and other lame tourist crap from wherever they immigrated from last month. Traffic was awful, a two lane road in and out of town. We ate at a place in Sedona and I officially got the worst shits I've ever had while still actually in a western country, it is so dirty there it made Tijuana look like a Scandinavian city. Careful eating or drinking anything and don't touch locals. Apparently, in a desert no one washes their hands, especially food workers. In and Out Burger still requires its employees to wash and bathe and they actually clean their stores, sadly there is not one everywhere.

I know why that poor bastard from the Eagles was standing in Winslow Arizona begging anyone who drove by to take him away, that place sucked balls. The two best tourist attractions in the state are a hole and a huge gully. We flew in and out of Phoenix and it was so hot the a/c in the rental car was about to stroke out, much like most of the residents.

We did drive thru the Navajo and Hopi reservations, those areas made Afghanistan look as wealthy as Qatar and Winslow looked like Vegas by comparison. If you want a handmade blanket, stop by a pawnshop. We stopped at a few pawn shops and "antique" malls, they had endless supplies of cowboy crap, silver and blankets.

If you like shooting, the Ben Avery Shooting Facility north of Phoenix was nice, they have some huge matches there in the winter and late fall when the temps drop low enough that water won't boil. We have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon, it was impressive. Saguaro cactus' are cool and the scenery from inside anything air conditioned is great. I work in a desert/semi-arid area so it wasn't exciting to go see a desert/semi-arid area. Enjoy your trip, the desert southwest wasn't my dream vacation, but people do like it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Pima Air and Space Museum is worth a visit....ran into my grandfatehrs picture on the wall. Total coincidence, he was a B-17 navigator in WWII, and there was a picture of him with his crew. My mom was with me (her dad) so that will always make Pima cool to me.

ZY

^^^ Its not that bad but Sedona does suck.

Reactions: ZY100
There is a little homemade ice cream shop in Pine. It has the best blueberry ice cream ever.

Stop for pie at Rock Springs Cafe on 17 at Black Canyon City just north of Phoenix. Saquaro NP is nice but not much more than you will see just riding through that part of the country. Arizona Senora Desert Museum is also worth the stop. Your chances of encountering a Gila monster are nil. They're there but pretty tough to find. Rattlesnakes are more abundant but again not just crawling around everywhere.

Unless you're a shopper or feel some need to be around lots of people, all cities / towns suck.

I'll second the canyon drive from Flagstaff to Sedona, beautiful! There are plenty of places to stop and hike along the way, or if you prefer, Sedona has Jeep and Helicopter tours of the area. Sedona is a tourist trap and priced accordingly.

Cowtown in Phoenix / Scottsdale, pretty sure there are 2 locations, possibly 3, has the largest selection of boots (30,000+ pairs) and associated cowboy wear. Very knowledgeable and helpful staff. The leather smell from being in the store will not be soon forgotten.

Cave Creek has some cool shops, good food and hiking. Lots of Saguaro in the parks and the largest Saguaro in the state, IIRC. Moderately populated area on the north end with a short jaunt to northbound interstate.

Lots of off-roading and Razor (side-by-side ATV) rentals and Razor touring businesses. Tons of fun!! BLM everywhere!! Watch out for Cholla cactus!!

Don't live there but what I remember.

Looking to purchase boots or outdoor kit, Summit Hut in Tucson.

Old Tucson.

Pinnacle Peak for steaks.

I know nothing about tuscon other than its a liberal town for the most part, sedona is too but they see lots of hunters coming through.

As far as eating in sedona, I usually try to avoid it because they are expensive, but ive eaten at a few bars and had some ok food.

Hiking in sedona is breathtaking. You can also drive up to the higher elevation and peer over the cliffs in many different spots(unit is called 6b, if you want to buy or download a map). There are elk, mule deer, bear, mountain lions, bobcats and all sorts of critters. I would be more wary of mountain lions near town than any of the other animals. Ive seen 2 bears and they want nothing to do with you. If you drive the dirt roads up above sedona at night, you’ll prob see mule deer as you get farther west, elk in the middle and farther east. Bears stay near the cliff edges, although i doubt you’ll see any.

October through december are our rifle hunt months, and it can get well below freezing.

Sedona is a tourist trap, but very little chain stores, all are privately owned and ran. Take a pink jeep tour while you’re there, its a good time.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head...

Open carry state (I don't since I have a CCW)

You might want to take a drive and hike up to Tonto Lower Cliff Dwelling just a little east of Tucson (134 miles)

You also might want to take a drive south west to Tombstone (71 miles)

If you have a firearm and want to shoot try Pima Pistol Club. Outdoor ranges for both pistol and rifle. Or you can just shoot wildcat.

Great gunshop to visit is Murphy's Gunshop 3235 N Country Club Rd

Sedona is "okay" just crowded. It is worthwhile see the red rocks. (3.5 hr drive)

Sequaro National Park in Tucson is worthwhile and while you're there you might want to visit the Desert Museum

Pima Air & Space Museum

Oct 26&27 Tucson Expo Gun & Knife Show

Best steak in Tucson is Lil Abners

Best steak in Sedona if memory serves me is the Cowboy Club.

Hope this helps....