• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Savage MSR10 Long Range owner's in here??

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Helping a friend out with a budget-friendly custom build and was wondering if anybody on here has any first-hand experience with the above rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor or .308

If you are looking to modify it, look for something else. A lot of proprietary/non standard parts and Savage doesn't make them anymore so I'd worry about spare parts.

I have one in .308 that I bought a couple of years ago and only recently got a chance to shoot it.

On my first range outing, every round failed to extract. Three different factory loads were tested. I had to mortar the rifle to extract the spent casings. On closer inspection I noticed that the chamber looked like shit. Almost like it was rusted, on a new gun. I polished the chamber and it resolved that issue.

But I discovered a new problem. Bolt will not lock open after last round. Nor will it lock back manually. Tried two different PMAGS, bolt locked open on both for like 5 rounds then stopped. Noticed that the bolt is gauging/scraping the edge of the follower. Looks like bolt is resting on the follower. Need to troubleshoot further. Not impressed with my first Savage rifle. Hope you have better luck.

If you are looking to modify it, look for something else. A lot of proprietary/non standard parts and Savage doesn't make them anymore so I'd worry about spare parts.

If they aren't being made, I'll recommend a alternative route. Just wish Seekins would push out more SP10 Builders kits.

Thanks for the heads up on the MSR, I've never really given them any thought until I was recently asked about them.

I have one in .308 that I bought a couple of years ago and only recently got a chance to shoot it.

On my first range outing, every round failed to extract. Three different factory loads were tested. I had to mortar the rifle to extract the spent casings. On closer inspection I noticed that the chamber looked like shit. Almost like it was rusted, on a new gun. I polished the chamber and it resolved that issue.

But I discovered a new problem. Bolt will not lock open after last round. Nor will it lock back manually. Tried two different PMAGS, bolt locked open on both for like 5 rounds then stopped. Noticed that the bolt is gauging/scraping the edge of the follower. Looks like bolt is resting on the follower. Need to troubleshoot further. Not impressed with my first Savage rifle. Hope you have better luck.
    Is this with the gas all the way open? Have you tried adjusting the gas?

I don't have the long range, but I've got the 16" 308 because it checked every box for me for an overall utility/hunting rifle. Comes with a 16" barrel with a great adjustable gas system, the rail/upper interface is very rigid, and it's a pound lighter than a standard AR10 due to some of the proprietary design features. Not a super high round count but it's been shot about 100% suppressed and killed lots of pigs and a few deer. Probably 500 rounds through it. I haven't really tried working out a load for it, but dumping a case full of 2000MR under a 150 SST gets me great velocity and is under 1.5 MOA which is all I need for my uses. I've taken it out to 600 on a full size IPSC and I think I shot 10-20 rounds and did not miss using the BDC in a Burris RT6.

Sample size of 1 and not a high round count so take it for what it's worth. The lighter weight isn't necessarily an advantage in a precision rifle so the proprietary stuff isn't really helping you. I love the way the gas block adjusts though and the way the rail bolts to the upper.

-Dan

Is this with the gas all the way open? Have you tried adjusting the gas?
    I was shooting it suppressed and trying to find the ideal gas setting. I tried multiple gas settings and it failed to extract each time no matter what. I solved that by polishing the chamber.

Reactions: ddavis
    I have no experience with this particular rifle but i have yet to hear of a Savage bolt gun that wasn't accurate.

I have the msr10 long range in 6.5.
    Pros:
    The rifle shoots extremely well for a gasser. I am able to go suppressed and un suppressed without any issues. It shoots hornady 143 eldxs extremely well.

Cons:
    pretty heavy rifle with my nx8 and oss can
    Proprietary components make it hard to customize. Barrel can maybe be swapped?! but handguard cannot.

Im looking to sell mine bare rifle for 1800. Less than 400 rounds through it. Want to build a mk 11 mod 0 clone in 6 creed

Attachments

• E91911AB-BCB8-47B3-B30D-40E54EFE22F6.jpeg
      E91911AB-BCB8-47B3-B30D-40E54EFE22F6.jpeg
      366.6 KB · Views: 33
    I have an msr10 lr in 6.5cm. I think it's a great rifle for the money. I shoot just over half moa with 140 eldm's. It checks a lot of boxes i.e. side charging handle, adjustable gas block, near monolithic handguard, target trigger, nice aesthetics. I consider it a target gun. Never had a problem. I think I paid about $1660 new for mine.