• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any SBR or Pistol bolt actions?

Langford

Private Parts
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2014
Middlemitten
I’ve got the itch for a new project...I’d like to build a pistol/SBR tailored around Michigan’s “pistol cartridge” law for whitetail hunting in the southern part of the state.

What I have in my head is a 10” barreled 450 Bushmaster on a 700 action, in a MDT LSS chassis, starting with a pistol brace until the NFA paperwork goes through to make it a SBR. It’ll be finished off with a Silencerco Hybrid once that’s out of jail.

The “Pork Sword” pistol is what really piqued my interest, now I want to build my own version of this.

54820066-B11F-4BD9-BA83-5F2FBF6003EB.png

Anybody in the group have something like this? If so, I’d love to see it and hear the details. Also, anybody know of a good gun smith/shop that would take on a project like this?

Also curious. In theory any chassis that accepts AR-15 rear ends should be fine with an arm brace, no?

I've dreamt up some .300 blackout concepts but haven't ever followed through very far.

"Anybody in the group have something like this? If so, I’d love to see it and hear the details. Also, anybody know of a good gun smith/shop that would take on a project like this?"

One of my toys is a 6mm BR REM XP 100 single feed, with a McCrees pistol chassis. Remington eventually started making repeaters when they moved away from the center to rear grip and eliminated the trigger bar setup which allowed us to use standard 700 triggers. I can't remember who came first, Remington or Savage, from the repeater standpoint (commercially), but most of those builds were internally fed. I know SBRs have been around a while for F&G or pest control personnel use based off 700's, but they probably were not magazine fed.

The XP and Striker designs seemed to disappear when IHMSA and the Chevy Sportsman's Challenge started dying off. The surge of high speed low drag competitions kicked in and because standing or laying in one spot shooting steel was boring, interest for high-power rifle caliber pistols faded. However, there's aways been niche group of us who still build, compete, hunt and shoot with these. Recently Remington seemed to get back on the bandwagon with their 700 CP a mag fed, chassis tactical version of the old XP.

I can recommend Chuck McIntosh at Mac's Gunworks in Gillette WY. He re-barreled my XP for me. His work is excellent and he's a Vet as well. He has extensive experience in building pistols using rifle calibers. Unfortunately you're limited to a straight walled cartridge or you could build a hand cannon caliber like 7mm SAUM!

"Also curious. In theory any chassis that accepts AR-15 rear ends should be fine with an arm brace, no?

Maybe? There are 3 setups that I am aware of:
- Mfg using a proprietary connection for their stock but has an adapter to use AR style buffer tube
- Buffer tube receiver using buffer tube and locking ring only
- Buffer tube receiver designed to mate up with buffer tube locking collar that holds the takedown detent in place

I'm speculating here, but if you purchase a brace that has what I call the HK style collapsing rods, you might run into clearance issues depending on how the chassis is cut. Only other thing I can think of is cosmetic. If the chassis is built for a stock that matches up to the buffer tube locking collar, it will have the extra metal there and won't look as clean as one designed for the buffer tube only.

Reactions: Langford
LaRue is doing something like that. A pistol and potentially a rifle barrel combo. Not a fan of the water spigot buffer tube mounting, or the setup in a rifle configuration overall. The chassis itself looks like a MDT LSS with a top rail.

This or the Remington 700 CP are two of the newer options.

94B27173-3F37-473F-925A-170D43588E87.jpeg

I can’t seem to find that on their site, do you have a link?

I think the simplest way would be to buy a new 700 action, have a smith install a 10” barrel, throw that in a MDT chassis and a pistol brace for now. But I’m not opposed to a factory option either.

I talked to a local shop, for a new stainless 700 action, blueprinting, triggertech trigger, and a threaded 10” x-caliber barrel, I was at around $1250. Add a MDT LSS and a SBA3 brace, I would be up to $1800 total.

I was looking at factory rifles in 450 bushmaster recently, and the Christensen Ridgeline was about the best I could find (on paper at least), and it was roughly the same price.

It’s not released yet.

I’d also shop around a bit. For the price of the 700 CP, it seems like a good buy, and if going with a 700 action, you could always try it out and have it worked over if you felt it was needed.