• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Sig/San 553p 300 bo owners here

jb313

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2013
Western, Mass
I may be thinking about picking one of these up from jdi, for what they are, i am curious about accuracy ?

I have only heard one report from one guy that his throws horrendous groups with ammo across the weight ranges,

As far as i know they have a 1/8 twist in a 12 inch barrel,
He is saying 10-12 inch groups at 50 yards, hmm

Anecdotally, 300BO is not know to be the most accurate round especially sub sonic. If you friend is printing 20MOA groups, it really needs to go back to the vendor/manufacture. I would expect typical, 1 to 3 MOA for a service rifle based on what it is being fed.

Anecdotally, 300BO is not know to be the most accurate round especially sub sonic. If you friend is printing 20MOA groups, it really needs to go back to the vendor/manufacture. I would expect typical, 1 to 3 MOA for a service rifle based on what it is being fed.

I am not all that familiar with sig/san sbr platforms, but like you say, i would expect 1 to 3 moa to be reasonable,
I am not sure if he is sending it back which leaves me to question if this is typical of this platform or if the operator just needs much more training ?

1-8" is definitely a less than ideal twist rate for 300bo, particularly the subsonic ammo. That being said it should still shoot better than 10-12 inches at 50 yards.

I have a 10 1/2” parts built 300 blackout with a Green mountain pistol gas 8” twist barrel. With 220 gr SMKs it will shoot sub moa groups. With123-125 Hornady v-max super sonic it shoots slightly better. I also have a custom built Remington action with an unknown 10” twist barrel that shoots 147 M80 pulls into one holl at 50 yards. I know this isn’t what you ask about . Just an idea of what to expect.

Reactions: jb313
1:8 twist is absolutely accurate for 300blk subsonic. Shit back in the days of the 300 whisper it was all 1:8 twist and SMK240s. Just today I was testing a new bolt load on my 12.5in with VV N330 and it was sub moa at 100 yards with Amax 208 and Lapua 200 FMJBT with a SD of 4.5, zero vertical spread. I’ve had similar accuracy with anything from 190 SubX all to way to 225 eld and SMK 240.

Buddy of mine also had a Noveske that was 1-1.5in at 100 yards with a 1:8 twist 10in with factory Remington 220 subsonic.

If it’s grouping 10-12in there’s something seriously wrong with the gun or the scope. That’s like worse than shooting a pistol standing.

1:8 twist is absolutely accurate for 300blk subsonic. Shit back in the days of the 300 whisper it was all 1:8 twist and SMK240s. Just today I was testing a new bolt load on my 12.5in with VV N330 and it was sub moa at 100 yards with Amax 208 and Lapua 200 FMJBT with a SD of 4.5, zero vertical spread. I’ve had similar accuracy with anything from 190 SubX all to way to 225 eld and SMK 240.

Buddy of mine also had a Noveske that was 1-1.5in at 100 yards with a 1:8 twist 10in with factory Remington 220 subsonic.

If it’s grouping 10-12in there’s something seriously wrong with the gun or the scope. That’s like worse than shooting a pistol standing.

Now i am getting conflicting stories as to whether its 1/8 or 1/11, which i think would make a difference if it is 1/11

Are the bullets keyholing or cutting perfectly round holes?

My 1 in 10 will not shoot any heavy sub sonics. They always keyhole. Great with supers 147 and below but I haven’t tried any heavy ( 175 and above ) super sonic. I’m not sure they can be pushed that high without looking.

Are the bullets keyholing or cutting perfectly round holes?

Here is a couple groups he posted up, the top is 123 magtech and the bottom is 220 federal unknown.
I suppose the bottom is not too bad other then the two flyers,
Before i purchase one of these, i just want to make sure this is not what they consider combat accurate for this platform.
FB_IMG_1648744735334.jpg
FB_IMG_1648744703974.jpg