• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any Suggestions for M70 hunting/shooting build

Cserv

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
wherever I may roam...
Am interested in customizing my M70 Win.300WSM, any suggestions on a med. contour barrel and stock? Will be mainly used for hunting and some target shooting. Hunting in S.Fla and NW Okla. whitetail and hogs mostly. Am lookin at 600m range. This will be my 1st attempt at building/modifying so any input is welcome. Thanks, Eric.

Re: Suggestions for M70 hunting/shooting

Haven't done any real accuracy testing per say. Put a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff on to deer hunt with and sighted in 1 1/2" high @100. Don't recall group size, but thought it was good to go hunting, probably 1" or so. The only loads I've shot were 150gr.Winchester Supreme ballistic silver tips, have been satisfied w/ their performance on game animals( Okla. whitetails and Fla. hogs). The barrel is a 24" factory pencil that doesn't float, and I've read the stock on the Super Shadow is not very good(light plastic), trigger breaks a little heavy but clean. I make good hits while hunting, just want to step the rifle up a bit. I got the rifle cheap enough(350)w/ a box of shells. I like the round, being a .30 SA with the same stats as a Win Mag.( on paper any ways) If it's gonna take too much to make it a sub min. gun then should I just get the Savage .308 I've been wanting w/ the DBM (have loved the Savages since my first one years ago, an .06 Tactical w/ Nikon Monarch 4-12x50). Am hopefully getting to the range this weekend and will answer how it shoots a little better. Again thanks for any input, lots of great info on this site.

Back from the range, ran the two loads I have. The 150gr. Win. Supreme Ballistic Silver Tip and 150gr. Win. Super X Power Point. The Silver Tips grouped 2 rnds .75 and the third 1-1.5 high away, the Power Points seemed to perform a little better. They would group 2 rnds from touching to .5 w/ the 3rd generally flying 1-1.25 high.( All @ 100yds.) My Rem.710 actually shot better than my M70, keeping most groups in an inch. Range conditions were a little windy(from the 6 at about 10-15)but shouldn't have had that much effect, should they? I was shooting from a bench w/ the fore end on my ALICE pack and the butt on a sand bag,front hand alongside on the stock to control muzzle climb, focusing on sight picture and trigger squeeze along w/ proper breathing( I'm no pro, but I try to focus on the fundamentals) So what I'm really wondering, is it me or are there things I can do to the rifle to improve these poor groups? As mentioned before I know the stock is all over the barrel, and the trigger is a bit stiff, but breaks ok(so far as I know). Any tips to improve this are appreciated. Thanks, Eric.

many factory pencil barrels can heat up quickly, especially on a short mag like that. barrel contour coupled with quick follow-ups can lead to vertical stringing like you're seeing.

i get the same if i fire off shots in too rapid a succession with my model seven (7saum).

So I need to either slow down my shooting or get a heavier barrel, huh? Work my trigger and get the stock off my barrel, get better glass and keep the 70 what it is, a hunting rifle. And just get that Savage 308 I've been wanting.

Get a Bell and Carlson medalist coyote lite stock from stockys for around $200. Get a Rock 13 twist 26" heavily fluted MTU contoured barrel if all you are going to shoot is 150,165 and 180gr hunting pills. Have it skim bedded into stock chambered and blueprinted and trigger adjusted to 2.5-3#'s by someone who knows model 70's and you should easily have a .5" rifle. Done a bunch like this on Fn spr actions in 7mm and 300wsm and they turn out great.

Just finished floating the barrel off the stock, w/ dremil and sandpaper. It took a little while, man this factory plastic stock is weak( flexes way easy)but I've got a good 1/16th all the way to the receiver. Next is the trigger, found a how to, and will give it a whirl. What's the worst that can happen? I'll have to replace it. Live and learn. Hopefully this helps tighten it up a bit, but a stock is on the short list(also bottom metal for a box mag.) Should do those at same time, yes? I guess one step at a time, as the budget is tight 4 now. Thanks for suggestions, am learning as I go.

Finished my trigger adjustment this evening, just followed the directions from the article( thanks again Lindy). Was pretty simple, don't really have any way to measure the pull, but it felt a whole lot lighter. It took several tries, but was simple enough. make an adjustment, reassemble, cycled the bolt, worked the safety( on some attempts this caused the trigger to fall), did 1 ft. drop test( don't know if was needed or is good to do but made me feel better that it wasn't going off from an impact), them some dry firing, all good and final reassembly. Feels good to be able to manage some of these tasks. Hopefully it helps tighten up my groups. Will repost after next range session. Thanks for the good input.
Eric

If you have a postal scale, find something which measures close to what you want the trigger weight to be. Put it in a Wal-Mart of similar plastic bag, and <span style="font-style: italic">s l o w l y</span> ease it on to the trigger with the barreled action held vertically.

If the trigger breaks, it's set too light. Adjust as necessary.

If you don't have a postal scale, you can use plastic water bottles, filled to what you want the trigger weight to be. If you want a 3 pound trigger, use 3 16-ounce bottles.

Simple and cheap way to set the trigger.

Krieger #5 at 25" and put it in a Manners SL. Weight will be about 9.5#. I use this configuration on a lot of predator and general hunting rifles.

Again thanks Lindy, don't have a scale, but used the water bottle method. Tied 3 bottles in series, on 20lb fishing string, with a doubled loop at the end for the trigger. Removed barreled action from stock, and put trigger in loop. I put the bottles on the floor and slowly lifted, 1 bottle, 2 bottles, as the 3rd bottle lifted the trigger broke. I'm figuring it to be in the 2.5-3lb range. Feels good during dry fire, no accidental hammer drops, so hopefully all is good.
Thanks,
Eric

Is it difficult to install aftermarket bottom metal, if I get the stock inletted for the DBM? Or should this all be done by the shop? Thanks for any info.
Eric

I would use a medium Palma at 23" and 208/210VLDs if you can seat them long enough.

First time to the range since lightening the trigger and floating the barrel. Don't have alot of ammo for this bird, as it tends to be a bit pricey @ 35-55 bucks a box. But thought I'd throw a few, seeing as how I've had the stock off, the scope and mounts off.( Just finished my 1st custom paint, rifle and scope. Need to get pics up.) Put a nice 1 1/4 grouping @50. Then took target to 100, did some work w/ my .22. Awhile later got back behind 'er and put out a cold one. It hit the red dot, so I call it zeroed for hunting. I couldn't believe I didn't need to adjust anything after having all apart. Is this normal? Or just dumb luck?
The trigger is a ton better, thanks for the link. Breaks nice, and much lighter. Thanks.
Eric