• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any thoughs on Lyman dies?

Re: Any thoughs on Lyman dies?

Like RCBS, Hornady and others, Lyman are great for learning how to handload. Redding, Wilson or custom dies MAY pop into your mind if & when you get serious about competing. For general, run of the mill plinking, they'll do fine.

I'm not plinking. I'm shooting a .308 at 100 yards on paper. I'm looking for .5" 5 shot groups.

For that kind of accuracy you should step up to Redding or Forster Competition/Benchrest Dies.

Lyman is entry level at best.

James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jasmck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For that kind of accuracy you should step up to Redding or Forster Competition/Benchrest Dies.

Lyman is entry level at best.

James </div></div>

+1... I didn't understand your commitment to that particular accuracy level.

"I'm not plinking. I'm shooting a .308 at 100 yards on paper. I'm looking for .5" 5 shot groups."

Lyman dies are on par with any other brand of conventional dies so they won't be an automatic limiting factor in that pursuit. Loader skill, and your rifle and trigger and scope and bench rigidity and bags and rest and shooting skills will be.

But, Forster or Redding BR/Comp dies WOULD make it easier. As would a Sinclair concentricity gage, a good neck turner, Lee Collet Neck sizer die, a body die, a good case trimmer & debur tool, primer pocket uniformer, flash hole debur tool, a dial or digital 6" caliper, etc. I mean, dies don't work magic; you MUST prep your cases very well to achieve that level of accuracy with a "heavy" kicker like the .308.