• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any thoughts on the NRA's response today?

Daveworkslocal

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Just read an article about the NRA's response today.
They called for armed guards etc at schools. Less focus on banning guns and more focus on the violence in our culture.

I personally agree whole-heartily with them. What are your thoughts?

Re: Any thoughts on the NRA's response today?

So glad you added this, and decided not to engage in the 3 other posts on the same subject because we need another unique perspective.

You are bright and shiny unique individual and deserve your own thread on the subject.

As for the NRA today, they missed an opportunity, failed in their goal and potentially hurt this effort by their actions.

They did gun owners no favors today by missing the mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So glad you added this, and decided not to engage in the 3 other posts on the same subject because we need another unique perspective.

You are bright and shiny unique individual and deserve your own thread on the subject.

As for the NRA today, they missed an opportunity, failed in their goal and potentially hurt this effort by their actions.

They did gun owners no favors today by missing the mark

</div></div>

Thankyou! I needed that confidence boost today.

I agree with Frank. They waited a week & that's all they came up with.

weak is how i looked at it from my take all i saw was a clip on the net i would have thought they could have come up with something better in a week's time. Dont get me wrong I do agree with what was said but at the same time i think moor much moor could have been said.I diden't see the leadership we needed at a time as crucial as this. what's your thought's on this ? we might have been better off with ted nugent making a statement for the NRA insted, he is never at a loss of words.

I thought they did a pretty good job based upon the circumstances and they did have some good suggestions on improvements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71DEVILDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought they did a pretty good job based upon the circumstances and they did have some good suggestions on improvements. </div></div>

Were we watching the same embarrassment?

Damage control starts right away, and with all that has been going on i would have thought that they would have responded a lot sooner. It's been said now. MM

I think the NRA spoke very well. The one disappointment I have is just how run down Mr. LaPierre looked during his speech. That was disheartening.

It was short and to the point, with NO post speech questions. I'm sure the script was read and re-read 100-times. Their effort is already being torn apart by the media (You know, the reporters that glorify the new score to be beat during the next slaying that may occur).

What is common sense to us on this forum, is witchcraft to the two protestors whom received air-time!

I read this on another website and feel it is deserving of mention here:

"Originally Posted by Hollywood9s
This type of maniacal behavior is the direct result of the godless, amoral, anything goes society that some of you have been promoting for decades now, so I find if perplexing that some of you act so surprised. What did you expect society to "evolve" to once the moral and religious foundations the country was founded on were removed?
There was only one way we could go as a nation once the breakdown of the family unit, acceptance of promiscuity and sexual deviancy, desensitization to murder and violence, contempt towards authority, and disregard for the sanctity of life became an integral part of the American DNA.

We don't have a gun problem, we have a cultural problem, a heart problem, and it is a direct result of the moral and foundational degradation of our nation, or what some of you like to refer to as our......... "evolution". Eighty years ago you could order a fully automatic machine gun through a Sears & Roebuck catalog and have it shipped right to your door, yet we had no mass killings in schools and other public venues like we do today.
Those who attempt to direct the blame for these horrific tragedies toward the NRA or 2nd Amendment supporters should probably be forced to undergo psychological evaluations and have their firearms confiscated, because any person who is that devoid of logic and seperated from reality is obviously not working with a full deck of cards to begin with, not to mention their imprudent disregard and willingness to give up constitutional liberty for the false sense of a security that will have no positive effect.

Unfortunately, the calls for more gun control are already coming in, specifically for a renewed "assault" weapons ban, yet the firearms that incorrectly fall under this category are used in less than 3% of crime nationwide, and the majority of crime, as well as these mass shootings are committed with handguns. If we ban "assault" weapons, many of you will be left scratching your ass thinking, geee, why didn't that work after the next mass shooting takes place, then you'll be left scratching your ass again after we ban all handguns just to have more of these atrocities continue to occur, because a certain segment of our society refuses to address the root cause of the problem, and instead wishes to focus on the symptom rather than the cause.
As evidenced by a number of posts in this thread, we have degenerated to a nation of fools.

As the father of a 3 year old myself, my heart and prayers go out to those affected by this tragedy, especially the parents who lost a precious child......i can imagine having to face no greater horror than this."

AnschutzNerd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">So glad you added this, and decided not to engage in the 3 other posts on the same subject because we need another unique perspective.

You are bright and shiny unique individual and deserve your own thread on the subject. </span>

</div></div>

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

It really annoys me that every thing I read about this speech is "disbelief after NRA's response." The media are using this opportunity to chew the NRA up and it seems like these guys have some of the only logical solutions to this problem. I agree with most of you, we are heading down a path that is entirely in the wrong direction.

I see it like this, society as a whole is a train. Were on the tracks cruising along, when we see a gap in the tracks with will surely derail the train. That gap I compare to the social problems we've been ignoring for the best let's say 30 years. Instead of stopping this train, having a meaningful conversation on the problems we have and fixing the tracks. We speed up to as fast as she'll go and hope to jump the tracks and continue life as normal.

Like a lot of you the Sandy Hook shooting has made me take a step back and re-evaluate my priorities. I knew a gun ban was coming, but what I didn't expect was how people totally glassed over the root problem and made villians out of people who own these, "Military Assault Rifles" and refuse to give them up.
Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">So glad you added this, and decided not to engage in the 3 other posts on the same subject because we need another unique perspective.

You are bright and shiny unique individual and deserve your own thread on the subject. </span>

</div></div>

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

</div></div>

julia-roberts-scary.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daveworkslocal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It really annoys me that every thing I read about this speech is "disbelief after NRA's response."

I knew a gun ban was coming, but what I didn't expect was how people totally glassed over the root problem and made villians out of people who own these, "Military Assault Rifles" and refuse to give them up.
Just my .02 </div></div>

So your pissed at those who are not in love with the NRA, or skeptical/cinical of their remarks, yet you have given up the argument already and gone with "I knew a gun ban was coming"

When your best defense is the 2nd Amendment, you have to be a fool to attack the 1st Amendment.....

I don't feel he attacked the 1st amendment and was pleased he didn't offer our asses to the anti's.

Some perspective on the impact popular media has had on our society over the last 100 years is worthy of discussion and I do believe the Hollywood and Madison Avenue protestations of total harmlessness in their impact belie the trillions of dollars they have generated.

And there is huge money being directed at misdirecting us: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/23/violent-movies-avoid-scrutiny-following-mass-shootings/

For an example of the cynicism we are expected to swallow; ad time for super bowl commercials costs millions per minute because nobody is influenced by them...

I agree. I had a conversation with a good friend of mine last week about violence in the media and it's effect on people.

I find it mind blowing that you can pay 8 bucks at your local movie theater and watch someone be disassembled piece by piece with a realism that to be honest, is as close to the real thing as one can imagine(I was using movies such as Hostile, or Saw as examples).
Has anyone commissioned a study on what this must do to the mind at a sub-conscious level? At no time in human history has the scenario been able to happen without actually being there for some horrific event and in that case we can only assume that it left a mental scar for those who were there.
I am in NO MEANS calling into question the mental faculties of those who might have seen this level of gore in real life. When someone has seen this level of violence in the theatre of war etc, and come back with PTSD (for some), we understand and try to help. But exposing this level of violence to millions of people almost daily has no effect? I don't buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no reason why they couldn't have come out in support of the 2A without throwing the 1st under the bus. </div></div>

Please provide links to where the 1st amendment was "Thrown under the bus"?

And if there is no better definition of a shop worn expression, it is that one.

I'm not a fan of Wayne LaPierre and wonder, often, why he is the permanent CEO of the NRA as though it is some third world duchy. That said, I think taking it to the media who A) whole heartedly gave their allegiance to the anti-2nd amendment cause, 2)do everything they can to maintain the ever more coarse and death embracing culture they so profit from and 3) censor or denounce any effort to bring attention to the above, is apt.

The NRA says we don't have a 1st amendment without the 2nd. True to a point. But we also don't have a first amendment resembling anything related to it's original intent when Marxist judges interpret it to mean the framers intended the taxpayer must subsidize excrement thrown at the images of one faith (Art!) while jailing those who appear to blaspheme against another (Hate speech).

All the while, the constitutionally protected press does little in service to its original duty but instead cherry picks those who may join its ranks(and remain among them), colludes with one political party for their mutual benefit and the condemnation of the other and then demonizes those who see it and point it out.

I did like what Wayne said today it was what i was looking for on friday. We put armed guards every where else for the protection of the public why not for our defenseless kids.

I did like what Wayne said today it was what i was looking for on friday. We put armed guards every where else for the protection of the public why not for our defenseless kids.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no reason why they couldn't have come out in support of the 2A without throwing the 1st under the bus. </div></div>

Please provide links to where the 1st amendment was "Throw under the bus"?

I'm not a fan of Wayne LaPierre and wonder, often, why he is the permanent CEO of the NRA as though it is some third world duchy. That said, I think taking it to the media who A) whole heartedly gave their allegiance to the anti-2nd amendment cause, 2)do everything they can to maintain the ever more coarse and death embracing culture they so profit from and 3) censor or denounce any effort to bring attention to the above, is apt.

The NRA says we don't have a 1st amendment without the 2nd. True to a point. But we also don't have a first amendment resembling anything related to it's original intent when Marxist judges interpret it to mean the framers intended the taxpayer must subsidize excrement thrown at the images of one faith (Art!) while jailing those who appear to blaspheme against another (Hate speech).

All the while, the constitutionally protected press does little in service to its original duty but instead cherry picks those who may join its ranks(and remain among them), colludes with one political party for their mutual benefit and the condemnation of the other and then demonizes those who see it and point it out.</div></div>

A lot of truth in this post.

Modern media does have culpability in the degradation of our society, no doubt. Our culture is obsessed with death and destruction, and worse considers it entertainment. We have become Rome. If we think that the constant barrage of violence, sex, drugs, and materialism in every form of media is not affecting the youth of this land we are kidding ourselves.

Advertisers spend billions each year on twenty and thirty second ad spots. Why? Because they work, and influence our behavior. If a these ads are so effective, how can all the other time between the commercials be considered harmless or of no consequence?

In the end, it is the parent's responsibility to control what your kids are exposed to. However, that job has become extremely difficult, and most are failing at it with the availability of various media sources.

We can't even watch the news anymore with our young kids.

Do I want bans on media expression? No. It is right to hold them accountable for the coarsening of our culture? Absolutely.

I am not a fan of the NRA's response. Attacking the media and entertainment industries struck me as a weak and obvious diversionary tactic, and one that is not likely to win them much support.

Consider for a moment the popularity of video games, especially among the young; the same arguments in favor of firearms can be made in favor of violent titles - namely, there are millions of people who own games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto who <span style="font-style: italic">haven't</span> gone on a killing spree, so blame must lie elsewhere.

Placing armed guards at schools is an interesting idea, but it reeks of desperation to change the conversation. There are two glaring problems: 1) School shootings are incredibly rare, so it's a waste of precious law enforcement resources that should be spent pursuing larger/more-frequent societal problems; 2) It does nothing to address possible shootings in other "victim disarmament zones" such as movie theaters, malls, etc. (blindness to this second point is particularly bothersome considering recent events).

They wait a week, and this was the best they can offer? Wayne looks like shit, as if this sort of scenario had not been anticipated by the organization and had keep him up for the past several days. If they didn't actively engage in some scenario planning, then they are grossly negligent.

</bitching>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E. Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a fan of the NRA's response. Attacking the media and entertainment industries struck me as a weak and obvious diversionary tactic, and one that is not likely to win them much support.

Consider for a moment the popularity of video games, especially among the young; the same arguments in favor of firearms can be made in favor of violent titles - namely, there are millions of people who own games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto who <span style="font-style: italic">haven't</span> gone on a killing spree, so blame must lie elsewhere.

Placing armed guards at schools is an interesting idea, but it reeks of desperation to change the conversation. There are two glaring problems: 1) School shootings are incredibly rare, so it's a waste of precious law enforcement resources that should be spent pursuing larger/more-frequent societal problems; 2) It does nothing to address possible shootings in other "victim disarmament zones" such as movie theaters, malls, etc. (blindness to this second point is particularly bothersome considering recent events).

They wait a week, and this was the best they can offer? Wayne looks like shit, as if this sort of scenario had not been anticipated by the organization and had keep him up for the past several days. If they didn't actively engage in some scenario planning, then they are grossly negligent.

</bitching> </div></div>

Or the organization is dominated by a major ego problem with a tin ear to boot. It's long past time for a new CEO there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In the end, it is the parent's responsibility to control what your kids are exposed to. However, that job has become extremely difficult, and most are failing at it with the availability of various media sources.

</div></div>

Exactly. It's not easy, but it can be done. Every electronic media outlet today has some sort of built in filtering application. I remember having to leave the room when I was a child, so that I wouldn't see sex, violence, or drugs on tv. You can't tell me this is new. I've seen A Clockwork Orange. Some of the most fucked up movies I've ever seen were made half a decade ago. The only thing that has actually changed is the availability. When I was a teenager, the kids knew more about the electronics than the parents. They had somewhat of an excuse for not limiting their children's media intake. Now those kids are the parents. They have no excuse. It's not the kids that are callous and desensitized, it is their parents. The media has an entire department that rates video games, movies, and television shows. They are not to blame. They did their job by informing you of the material's contents. What you as a parent decides to do with that is out of their control. If the video game has a Mature rating, it is probably not appropriate for your 10 year old. The kids are going to eventually see the stuff. That is unavoidable. Seeing the violence isn't the problem. Being allowed to see it freely is the problem. If a child associates playing a violent game with getting in trouble, then they will develop a social stigma associated with the violence. If they get a violent game for Christmas, that violence is associated with happiness, joy, and Santa Claus..... The important thing to remember is that a video game or movie had nothing to do with the actions of the giant pussy psychopath. He had a biological disorder that greatly affected his thought process. There is nothing you can do to control the development of an individual that does not recognize our social contract. The harsh reality is that if you want to stop the mass murders carried out by psychopaths, you have to execute them before they evolve into a murderer. No one wants their child put down, but until a groundbreaking discovery is made in the field of psychology, there is nothing we can do to prevent a psychopath from carrying out psychotic actions. The only cure is death. Of course we would have to rely on someone else to determine who is and isn't a psychopath beforehand. That's where such an idea goes to shit. There is no room for corruption and mistakes in life or death decisions. That's a long complicated way of saying there is not a damn thing we can do to prevent an event like this. As I've said before, you can't stay ahead of the thought process of someone who ponders the unthinkable. We can take action to defend ourselves and that is it. All of this talk about reforming the mental health system is nice on paper, but the reality is that it can't get much better without a severe violation of our human rights. Health professionals are obligated to inform others of a patient that poses a threat to others. What else do you want them to do? It is not the medical system that falls short. It is the justice system that falls short. The reason the justice system falls short is because they are limited by the Constitution. The bottom line is that the system is doing all that it can. Our society has become too reliant on the system and have forgotten that the system doesn't work without a large amount of help from the people. There is no legislation or medical reform that will make things better. The people have to take on the responsibility that we've passed off to the government. There was a time before I was alive that our citizens didn't rely on the government to protect and provide. The communities took care of themselves. You know what happened when a hurricane ripped a town apart a hundred years ago? There were no FEMA houses. No national guard. No influx of utility services from other states. No billion dollar insurance payouts. The people came together and rebuilt their homes and businesses. If the government helped, great. It was certainly not expected though. That's the problem. We rely on a system that relies on us. We aren't holding up our end and the system can't function without us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or the organization is dominated by a major ego problem with a tin ear to boot. It's long past time for a new CEO there. </div></div>

Wayne's accomplishments over the past 15 years:

1) Did not fuck up the sunset of the assault weapons ban.
2) Got the liability protection law passed to protect the big industry players.
3) Took credit for the work of many state-wide gun rights organizations in passing various CCW bills.
4) Gave "A" ratings to a large number of politicians who will soon show themselves to be turncoats.

I am probably being grossly unfair - consider this to be emotional venting and not a serious critique of the organization.

Lol! I could only see 4 or 5 lines at a time on the phone. Didn't realize it was so long....

The NRA sucks. Where were they in 1968? In 1986? and in 1994? These guys are terrible and whatever you do, DO NOT depend on them to protect your rights. They will fail us if we leave it up to them.

As for the NRA's answer... Its fascist. We should depend on the state to further protect us? He wants a TSA agent at every school? What a horrible answer. We cannot afford it and there is no way that one or two officers could protect a school that spans many acres and many many buildings. No way. If schools want to have security and they can pay for then by all means it wont hurt. However....

The ONLY answer that cost the tax payers NOTHING, and is proven to work is to allow teachers to conceal carry while at work. Any less of an answer is Fascist and makes people further dependent on the state..

NRA, AMA - always old timers that probably agree "Nobody NEEDS a 30 round magazine".

The AMA dictates those of us that fly drones do not leave visual line of sight because some old fogies run the s hop.
Dark days are ahead for the shooting community. It's moronic because banning anything will not solve the issue.

The NRA should merely have asked the Gov one question:
How's that ban on meth, heroine, coke, etc working out for you?

One word............prohibition. How well did that work?

Why does the NRA go silent everytime something like this happens??? Their current answer should of taken a few minutes to come up with, not days.
The best answer to the problem is like was said before, have school staff armed. If someone decides to do this again, they will have no idea who's armed and who's not.
The mental health problems in this country are rising due to lack of treatment and care. State hospitals may have had a bad rap, but people who needed help got it. Problems were controlled or they just spent the rest of their lives in their happy place not on the streets trying to hurt themselves or others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no reason why they couldn't have come out in support of the 2A without throwing the 1st under the bus. </div></div>

All the while, the constitutionally protected press does little in service to its original duty but instead cherry picks those who may join its ranks(and remain among them), colludes with one political party for their mutual benefit and the condemnation of the other and then demonizes those who see it and point it out. </div></div>

When you try and divert attention away from guns (a good and just move), and try to focus said attention on video games and movies and other forms of violent media, you have thrown the 1A under the bus. And that is exactly what LaPierre did.

From LaPierre's speech:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And here's another dirty little truth that the media try their best to conceal: There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.

Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse. And here's one: it's called Kindergarten Killers. It's been online for 10 years. How come my research department could find it and all of yours either couldn't or didn't want anyone to know you had found it?

Then there's the blood-soaked slasher films like "American Psycho" and "Natural Born Killers" that are aired like propaganda loops on "Splatterdays" and every day, and a thousand music videos that portray life as a joke and murder as a way of life. And then they have the nerve to call it "entertainment."

But is that what it really is? Isn't fantasizing about killing people as a way to get your kicks really the filthiest form of pornography?

In a race to the bottom, media conglomerates compete with one another to shock, violate and offend every standard of civilized society by bringing an ever-more-toxic mix of reckless behavior and criminal cruelty into our homes — every minute of every day of every month of every year.

A child growing up in America witnesses 16,000 murders and 200,000 acts of violence by the time he or she reaches the ripe old age of 18.</div></div>

He's blaming media (and THE media). Movies, books, video games, all nothing if not expressions guaranteed us by the 1st Amendment, and he's no less full of shit than the gun grabbers who want to blame nothing but the availability of guns to law abiding citizens.

The BoR is not a buffet from which you can pick and choose. If you don't defend all of our rights, you're effectively defending none of them.

So, as I said originally, there is no reason he couldn't stick up for the 2A without throwing the 1A under the bus.

"Gun control advocates argue that a federal assault weapons ban is necessary to curbing gun violence." -Gun Control Advocates, -un named-

The above statement is based on ignorance of raw data fact. It may be based on severely skewed data which would invalidate the claim on it's merit

FACT:
During Bill Clinton's term of office(HE PASSED THE ORIGINAL BAN) there were over 30 such mayhem incidents.

2010 year Firearm murders data, US only
FACT:
Handguns account for over 6000 of the firearm murders

FACT:
Rifles of all kinds accounted for 358 of all firearm murders

FACT:
Shotguns accounted for 373 of firearm murders

FACT:
Unknown firearms accounted for 2035 murders

FACT:
Other weapons to include knives, swords, edged weapons, 1704 murders

FACT:
Other weapons not edged account for 1772 murders

FACT:
Hands, Fists, Feet account for 745 murders

With the above raw data, there is no basis to ban any rifle of any type. This raw data is from crime numbers only, not skewed by lawful defense of self or others(these would be edge outlier numbers such as the Fists, other weapons, rifles, and shotguns.

Using this data, and data that is extremely close to it from both 2011 and 2012, there is still no basis of merit to ban any type of rifle or shotgun, magazine, or other firearm type that could be counted as an 'assault weapon'( These require a Title III tax stamp and background check to purchase due to the fact they fire either full automatic, or burst). Any other rifle or shotgun only fires semiautomatic and is therefore by the actual raw data, not worthy of any ban.

Now lets look at these raw date in perspective by total population percentage. 312.8 million with we will use the large 6000 handgun number to set a higher average here, that is close to .01 percent per 1000 people, or less than one person per 100,000.

Total Perspective of numbers:
More people are killed by Doctor's mistakes during surgery, drunk drivers, negligence at work, or vehicular negligence(I use negligence because nothing is accidental. Some form of negligence always contributes). I have tried very hard to find raw data that would support any form of gun control and have failed each and every time due to the monumentally low percentages per population. The real numbers just do not support any form of firearms legislation. Do yourself a favor and actually try to research this as I have. The results will be the same each time the raw data is used that does not come from skewed sources. This is the way I test all my own theories as well as my friends by playing the Devil's advocate and looking for extremely straight data that has not been biased.

BOTTOM LINE:
There is no basis for gun control over what we currently have. The facts do not support it, the incidents do not support it.

OPINION:
The issue we are having is a severe lack of control on behavior issues and security of our schools. The larger being insecure schools. If all schools were upgraded with points of entry that were controlled, Armed officers in place(911 from Sandy Creek stated Law Enforcement took minutes to get to the scene, not seconds which is required). By removing our schools, theaters, ball fields, and other places from the perspective target list, we take the advantage away from the mentally disturbed individual who wants to attack it.

Good info, but getting a bit cross-posted?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Gun control advocates argue that a federal assault weapons ban is necessary to curbing gun violence." -Gun Control Advocates, -un named-

The above statement is based on ignorance of raw data fact. It may be based on severely skewed data which would invalidate the claim on it's merit

FACT:
During Bill Clinton's term of office(HE PASSED THE ORIGINAL BAN) there were over 30 such mayhem incidents.

2010 year Firearm murders data, US only
FACT:
Handguns account for over 6000 of the firearm murders

FACT:
Rifles of all kinds accounted for 358 of all firearm murders

FACT:
Shotguns accounted for 373 of firearm murders

FACT:
Unknown firearms accounted for 2035 murders

FACT:
Other weapons to include knives, swords, edged weapons, 1704 murders

FACT:
Other weapons not edged account for 1772 murders

FACT:
Hands, Fists, Feet account for 745 murders

With the above raw data, there is no basis to ban any rifle of any type. This raw data is from crime numbers only, not skewed by lawful defense of self or others(these would be edge outlier numbers such as the Fists, other weapons, rifles, and shotguns.

Using this data, and data that is extremely close to it from both 2011 and 2012, there is still no basis of merit to ban any type of rifle or shotgun, magazine, or other firearm type that could be counted as an 'assault weapon'( These require a Title III tax stamp and background check to purchase due to the fact they fire either full automatic, or burst). Any other rifle or shotgun only fires semiautomatic and is therefore by the actual raw data, not worthy of any ban.

Now lets look at these raw date in perspective by total population percentage. 312.8 million with we will use the large 6000 handgun number to set a higher average here, that is close to .01 percent per 1000 people, or less than one person per 100,000.

Total Perspective of numbers:
More people are killed by Doctor's mistakes during surgery, drunk drivers, negligence at work, or vehicular negligence(I use negligence because nothing is accidental. Some form of negligence always contributes). I have tried very hard to find raw data that would support any form of gun control and have failed each and every time due to the monumentally low percentages per population. The real numbers just do not support any form of firearms legislation. Do yourself a favor and actually try to research this as I have. The results will be the same each time the raw data is used that does not come from skewed sources. This is the way I test all my own theories as well as my friends by playing the Devil's advocate and looking for extremely straight data that has not been biased.

BOTTOM LINE:
There is no basis for gun control over what we currently have. The facts do not support it, the incidents do not support it.

OPINION:
The issue we are having is a severe lack of control on behavior issues and security of our schools. The larger being insecure schools. If all schools were upgraded with points of entry that were controlled, Armed officers in place(911 from Sandy Creek stated Law Enforcement took minutes to get to the scene, not seconds which is required). By removing our schools, theaters, ball fields, and other places from the perspective target list, we take the advantage away from the mentally disturbed individual who wants to attack it. </div></div>

You deserve a little time-out for thinking we're the ones you need to spam on every dang thread with this. +1, good info, but use some discretion.

time out? ok, I promise I won't come on here tomorrow, a self timeout. I'll also avoid any argumentative speaking with ignorant liberals and won;t get the word out that needs to be put out so ignorant people have real information to use(I say ignorant because some are smart and only need educated with proper facts).
If it was SPAM, I would send it to everyone's email, but three small posts in relevant threads with different members in each works for me. Remember, not everyone has the capacity to put together a great argument that will smash a liberal's unsound and invalid premises with solid, reliable fact that comes from government and independent objective research. This is what people use to make sound, valid premises to support issues such as,"Do we need more gun control?"(NO)

<span style="font-weight: bold">The result of NRA's response: </span>

3OpfH.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no reason why they couldn't have come out in support of the 2A without throwing the 1st under the bus. </div></div>

All the while, the constitutionally protected press does little in service to its original duty but instead cherry picks those who may join its ranks(and remain among them), colludes with one political party for their mutual benefit and the condemnation of the other and then demonizes those who see it and point it out. </div></div>

When you try and divert attention away from guns (a good and just move), and try to focus said attention on video games and movies and other forms of violent media, you have thrown the 1A under the bus. And that is exactly what LaPierre did.

From LaPierre's speech:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And here's another dirty little truth that the media try their best to conceal: There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.

Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse. And here's one: it's called Kindergarten Killers. It's been online for 10 years. How come my research department could find it and all of yours either couldn't or didn't want anyone to know you had found it?

Then there's the blood-soaked slasher films like "American Psycho" and "Natural Born Killers" that are aired like propaganda loops on "Splatterdays" and every day, and a thousand music videos that portray life as a joke and murder as a way of life. And then they have the nerve to call it "entertainment."

But is that what it really is? Isn't fantasizing about killing people as a way to get your kicks really the filthiest form of pornography?

In a race to the bottom, media conglomerates compete with one another to shock, violate and offend every standard of civilized society by bringing an ever-more-toxic mix of reckless behavior and criminal cruelty into our homes — every minute of every day of every month of every year.

A child growing up in America witnesses 16,000 murders and 200,000 acts of violence by the time he or she reaches the ripe old age of 18.</div></div>

He's blaming media (and THE media). Movies, books, video games, all nothing if not expressions guaranteed us by the 1st Amendment, and he's no less full of shit than the gun grabbers who want to blame nothing but the availability of guns to law abiding citizens.

The BoR is not a buffet from which you can pick and choose. If you don't defend all of our rights, you're effectively defending none of them.

So, as I said originally, there is no reason he couldn't stick up for the 2A without throwing the 1A under the bus. </div></div>

Sorry man but I could not disagree more. To suggest that is an assault against he first amendment is absurd. It speaks entirely to the coarsening of society that is the fundamental difference between the way things are today and how they were 50 years ago.

There isn't a single thing that little fuck did in Newtown that could not have been done with a pump rifle, lever gun, revolver or other non-self loading rifle, yet this shit simply did not happen back in the day when everyone kept their rifles in open cabinets, closets or the corner of the kitchen.

LaPierre spoke to the psychosis, the sociopathy, that is extant in our societies today and almost no one is willing to face that. It is now a question of which delusion the laziest among us are going to pretend to grapple with; that we can ban all guns or that we can desist with the brainwashing of billions that has been ongoing for decades in ways few people are willing to face. Too many of us have gone well past the level of indifference toward our fellow man into an outright delight in contriving their demise.

The revenue derived from such coarseness is unimaginable and vastly dwarfs that of the firearms industry and those of us who partake in their products for our many uses. Thus, the lazy will once again be directed to the easiest symptom and continue to delude themselves that 50 years of debasement of humanity has had no effect on the way people regard human life.

Merry Christmas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for the NRA today, they missed an opportunity, failed in their goal and potentially hurt this effort by their actions.

They did gun owners no favors today by missing the mark </div></div>It's a sad day when NPR nails-down a gun issue better than the NRA does: The day after she had gun control advocates on her show, Diane Rehm did a segment about identifying and treating people with severe mental illness. One of the guests was Pete Earley, the father of an adult son diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and author of "Crazy: A Father's Search Through America's Mental Health Madness."

The discussion turned to mass shootings and became about how each state has systematically de-funded its mental health treatment system. Then they mentioned how northern Europe (where the recent shooting massacre in Norway happened) has the best mental health system on the continent. One guest stated that mass shootings are very rare, but that about half of them in this country were perpetrated by people known to be dangerously mentally ill about whom nothing was done. The example given for that was the Virginia Tech. shooting.

About society's ability to prevent a substantial number of all mass-shootings, versus have these shootings continue but take place with 10-round magazines instead of twenty-round magazines, Earley said that he grew-up with guns but now doesn't have any in the house due to his wife's wishes and his mentally ill son (who indeed likes to shoot and whom he took shooting) - and that magazine capacity is a false issue because it isn't hard to carry a spare magazine and it doesn't take very long to reload.

All appeared to agree that the problem was politics: That it's too difficult for politicians to propose the necessarily complicated and expensive solutions to how our society evaluates and treats the mentally ill, so they suggest a 'quick fix' under the guise of gun control instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
All appeared to agree that the problem was politics: That it's too difficult for politicians to propose the necessarily complicated and expensive solutions to how our society evaluates and treats the mentally ill, so they suggest a 'quick fix' under the guise of gun control instead. </div></div>

I agree with this. But from what I read about this last turd, he very well might have slipped through the cracks. A non social loner, extremely intelligent, etc...
Not wanting to start a fight, but he probably mirrors a good bunch of people on this forum, and other gun forums.
No one one knows when or what will make a person snap, we can't lock them all up.

I keep seeing where people say something to the effect of "this didn't happen before video games and violent movies". You may not have known about it, but it did happen. Rifle in a bell tower anyone? If you argue that it didn't happen as much, that may be true, but what was the population 50 years ago? What is it today? We have more shootings because we have more psychopaths because we have more people because we have better healthcare and more time to sit around screwing and planning murders. Fairly simple stuff. I guarantee you that a man that ran a plow all day didn't have the energy to pack up a bag of ammo to go shoot kids.