• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any thoughts on this build

Bigchaza

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
AUS NSW
Rifle for hunting only thinking xlr evolution tactical stock on a factory tikka t3 lite in 223, atlas bi pod and a 4-16 vortex ffp, 1-8 barrel twist, for pigs and goats mainly and smaller game mainly. what do you think any thoughts?

shoot some bullets in the 75-80gr range if barrel is like 24in or longer and you should get good results when hunting, oh and have good shot placement will definitely help. Also you can run lighter bullets but I don't recommend going lower than 62gr for hunting

I have an XLR, I like it, but for hunting...probably not. Offhand shots with XLR not as good as dedicated hunting stock. Take a look at the Savage 10 PC, also, don't discount something in .243.

I agree with the above posters. Your goal seems to be a bit wishy-washy. Light weight barrel for hunting, since you'll have to hump the gun everywhere you go, right? XLR chassis is not a lightweight stock, though. Scope is gonna be heavy for a light weight hunting gun, as well. If you want a light weight gun, I'd keep the factory stock or go with a more traditional style from B&C, McMillan, or Manners. If you want a long range precision rifle, I'd go with everything you said, but with a heavy barrel rifle.

Oh i see, i made a big mistake, i thought the weight of the stock was 1.8lbs not 1.8 kgs, I know my way around tactical gear but im a bit lost when it comes to hunting i usually just lug my tactical rifles around BUT...
The back story is im building 2 semi custom hunting rifles for me and my girlfriend, fortunately for me she doesn't weight 120 kgs and cant lug 10kg rifles up a hill. ive gone 223 because large calibres cause her groups to spread out from .5 moa to about 3 MOA
I also believe shot placement is more important than large calibres especially for Australian game, we don't get much over the 70 kg range, im going semi custom as its a gift. do I have any thumb hole or pistol grip options as we both much prefer them. ive also chosen the tikka t3 action as if you give them time to cool and load them right they do shoot 1/2 moa in my experience and can be fun for plinking plus the triggers good to.