• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Any trappers out there?

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    Just pulled in my second beaver. 1st one was 30 lbs and the second I pulled was 51 lbs.
    I'm moving from Alaska to Kansas this summer ( already have my fur harvester certification for Kansas completed) and am looking forward to doing more trapping and hunting.

I run a short line. Mainly for coons,coyote,fox and mink. If the muskrats ever make a come back we'll go after them again too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Would love to do more. Colorado laws make it tough.

Lots of coyotes in Kansas.

Sounds like the in the right spot right now, hunting fishing in trapping in AK is what most dream of. How come your moving?

Army is making me move, and my wife isn't so thrilled with Alaska. I love the country but would have to work my ass off just to live up here, which means I would not be able to enjoy it since I would be working like I currently am.

This was the small beaver. He is prime, strong guard hair and a strong under coat. The sled in the back is my current hobby (I love running the dogs on the river out here). This was my first beaver, my daughter watched me skin and gut it. She had fun playing with the feet and tail (I should make something from the tail).

13963957063_7e10097a51.jpg
    [/url]DSCF0281 by stefan143, on Flickr

Attachments

• DSCF0278.jpg
      DSCF0278.jpg
      1,011.8 KB · Views: 17
    Last edited:
    I took the online Kansas fur harvester course so I can trap in Kansas. Beaver is awesome, but a pain in the rear to flesh.

I used to trap a fair number of beaver, fox, coon, and coyote in Eastern Montana. The best trapping for beaver was in the Spring right after the ice goes out. I'd take a canoe down the Missouri and use mostly conibear sets. Leg holds and drowning sets worked good too, but it was just easier using conibears. Sometimes my 17 ft. Gruman canoe would be almost maxed out (weight wise) with traps, cotton wood bait, tools, and dead beaver. A couple weeks after the ice goes out, the beaver get to fighting too much, and they have huge bite marks on their backs. That is mating season, and it's time to pull your traps.

Alaska is the place I'd like to be. I've been up there a few times and loved it. It's a young man's game up there. An old fart like me, probably couldn't hack it any more.

What do you do in the Army? Are you at Ft. Richardson?

I am up at Fort Wainwright, Infantry and currently a Battalion S3. I have a little bit before the ice finishes flowing down the river. I pulled both of these beaver out of one hut up here.

I'm running 330 conibears (Bellisile, and a couple of Dukes).

Sounds like the in the right spot right now, hunting fishing in trapping in AK is what most dream of. How come your moving?

Until they get here and find out their dreams are not reality of hunting fishing trapping Alaska. People have a romance that Alaska is a Jack London novel.

I used to trap a fair number of beaver, fox, coon, and coyote in Eastern Montana. The best trapping for beaver was in the Spring right after the ice goes out. I'd take a canoe down the Missouri and use mostly conibear sets. Leg holds and drowning sets worked good too, but it was just easier using conibears. Sometimes my 17 ft. Gruman canoe would be almost maxed out (weight wise) with traps, cotton wood bait, tools, and dead beaver. A couple weeks after the ice goes out, the beaver get to fighting too much, and they have huge bite marks on their backs. That is mating season, and it's time to pull your traps.

Alaska is the place I'd like to be. I've been up there a few times and loved it. It's a young man's game up there. An old fart like me, probably couldn't hack it any more.

What do you do in the Army? Are you at Ft. Richardson?

Alaska has become as soft as any other state in the republic. Rules and regulation have become as restrictive as any state too. While there are still freedoms thanks to Gov Murkowski not his offspring, not many as days of lore, Alaska is being assimilated rather quickly at an exponential rise. Started about 20 years ago with outside influence from Kali, OR, WA and Con but is in full throttle now. You do not put animal rights activist from outside on the fish and game board Gov Knowles, Katy John was against the state constitution Mr Knowles but you did not care as you could not change the constitution but the Fed courts can, so Alaska has changed for ever. The only attribute Alaska still has is the weather. Wyoming is the place, my son lives there now and tells me it reminds him of Alaska he grew up with except cost of living, which is very low.

Army is making me move, and my wife isn't so thrilled with Alaska. I love the country but would have to work my ass off just to live up here, which means I would not be able to enjoy it since I would be working like I currently am.

This was the small beaver. He is prime, strong guard hair and a strong under coat. The sled in the back is my current hobby (I love running the dogs on the river out here). This was my first beaver, my daughter watched me skin and gut it. She had fun playing with the feet and tail (I should make something from the tail).

13963957063_7e10097a51.jpg
    [/url]DSCF0281 by stefan143, on Flickr

I'm trying to figure out how to attach photos.[/QUOTE]

The interior can do that to many wives. She may have had more interest in Ft Rich with Anchortown a major busy city of the states, crime too. More snow and wind but the ambient temp is warmer. Like many cheeks have discovered, Alaska is not all Alaska. Running dogs, I love to ski the rivers and valleys, nothing like quite solitude of winter...unless the motor heads are around.

[QUOTE="stefan73, post: 3085989"]I am up at Fort Wainwright, Infantry and currently a Battalion S3. I have a little bit before the ice finishes flowing down the river. I pulled both of these beaver out of one hut up here.

I'm running 330 conibears (Bellisile, and a couple of Dukes).[/QUOTE]

Not a real trapper, too much work. Its cold out there. Where do you run your line? Fur has become just like game animals, F&G has allowed wolves and people to decimate what we once had. The days of a full pulk / basket of fur are long gone. Good to hear about you trapping. Good luck down in the south 49.

My wives problem is not the cold, that doesn't bother her.

I'm by all means not a real trapper. I would like to be, but I have a job that takes most of my time up. The solitude is nice, and I have found it many times hiking in the back country or up around the North Slope.
    I didn't run a line. I just targeted a beaver hut on the river near me. I had to pull my traps since the river is breaking up. I'm doing more learning than I am catching.

Well dad started me with home made live traps at about 7. Since the I have missed 6 seasons, about 31 season worth of making sets and getting educated. Best year around here was 63 coyotes in 21 days........Beaver is truly a love hate relationship for me. There is nothing about a beaver that doesn't equal work...

oh yeah...CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST !!! You get faster at fleshing but it is still work !! I try to start my season with beaver and rat trap...........Nothing draws coys and cat like fresh beaver.... Be glad to chat about the craft any time you want........

By the way welcome back to the Lower States!!!

ooh yeah...

A thought for your daughters trophy......skin that tail out by splitting it half around on the edge.......flesh it good then get some Dixie tan paste or similar product......follow direction........then you can stitch it back up ( sew inside out then flip) and add a draw string top for a bullet bag or wrap it around the sheath of that hand made hunting knife you will give her.....................I don't she will ever forget the fun you two are having this season

Last edited: