• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any tricks to get more elevation range out of a scope other than 20/40 MOA bases?

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
I have many rifles and Nightforce scopes. I run 20 MOA bases on almost all. Most of my scopes average around 18 Mils of elevation. But one first Gen ATACR has 30 mils of elevation. Cant really figure out why. The NXS scopes should have 15mils plus 20 moa so 18 sounds about right. The ATACR has a bit more.

How in the wide world of optics am I getting 30 mils, I have a 20 MOA base but still.. Is there any way to set your scope up outside the base to get more elevation?

PB

LOL...

recordshot.jpg

I have many rifles and Nightforce scopes. I run 20 MOA bases on almost all. Most of my scopes average around 18 Mils of elevation. But one first Gen ATACR has 30 mils of elevation. Cant really figure out why. The NXS scopes should have 15mils plus 20 moa so 18 sounds about right. The ATACR has a bit more.

How in the wide world of optics am I getting 30 mils, I have a 20 MOA base but still.. Is there any way to set your scope up outside the base to get more elevation?

PB
You're going to have to help me out because I'm kinda new to this stuff.

I see you are mixing mils and MOA and adding them together or making comparisons and I'm having trouble following. A 20MOA base is essentially a 6MIL base (5.84mil to be exact.) So how does 15 + 6 = 18? It would really help if you were much more specific about the exact model or models that you are talking about. The NXS have very different adjustment ranges depending on the model.

I don't own an ATACR but I believe they are 34mm tubes whereas the NXS are 30mm tubes, at least my NXS 12-42X56 has a 30mm tube. I should think that if the ATACR has a 34mm tube, it would have 4mm more of internal adjustment, which would explain why it has more adjustment than the NXS. Is your first gen ATACR not a 34mm tube?

Someone already mentioned the Burris Signature rings, which I like a lot.

But another way to get much more elevation is this:
https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d60v56gfiml/

100mil (350MOA) up, 14mil (50MOA) down. Should be good enough to go across a couple of Zip codes.

Reactions: rsb
You called me out and I was wrong, I think I mixed up some recent DOPE with total Elevation. I checked out most of my scopes and found this.
NXS 3-15X56 20 MOA mount = 20.5 mils Elevation
NXS 3-15X50 20 MOA mount = 21.5 Mils

ATACR 4-16-42 F1 20MOA mount = 20.5 mils of elevation.
ATACR 5-25X56 F1 40 MOA mount = 26.5 mils
* ATACR 5-25X56 Gen 1 F2 20 MOA mount = 30 Mils DD Delta 5 308 Rifle
ATACR 5-25X56 F1 20 MOA mount = 20.5 mils
*ATACR 5-25X56 F1 20 MOA mount = 24.5 mils FN SPR 308 rifle

* denotes the anomalies
Makes me wonder after seeing how consistent the other set ups were if the DD Delta 5 and FN SPR have some MOA built into the gun that is not advertised. Or is manufactured by accident.

PB

According to the tech support my XTR2 reticle is already offset for a 20 moa base. With 90moa total I can NOT put 40Moa of cant and zero at 100. Belive me, I tried.

I went with Burris XTR Signature rings and got 35ish moa. So now I get the full travel range of the reticle.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
You called me out and I was wrong, I think I mixed up some recent DOPE with total Elevation. I checked out most of my scopes and found this.
NXS 3-15X56 20 MOA mount = 20.5 mils Elevation
NXS 3-15X50 20 MOA mount = 21.5 Mils

ATACR 4-16-42 F1 20MOA mount = 20.5 mils of elevation.
ATACR 5-25X56 F1 40 MOA mount = 26.5 mils
* ATACR 5-25X56 Gen 1 F2 20 MOA mount = 30 Mils DD Delta 5 308 Rifle
ATACR 5-25X56 F1 20 MOA mount = 20.5 mils
*ATACR 5-25X56 F1 20 MOA mount = 24.5 mils FN SPR 308 rifle

* denotes the anomalies
Makes me wonder after seeing how consistent the other set ups were if the DD Delta 5 and FN SPR have some MOA built into the gun that is not advertised. Or is manufactured by accident.

PB
You need to bottom out a scope and then count how many mils you have total. Then add a 20 moa base. Then add XTR signature rings and change inserts until you get very close to the absolute bottom of the scopes adjustment at your preferred zero range.

The anomalies you are seeing are likely due to height over bore and total adjustment differences.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
You need to bottom out a scope and then count how many mils you have total. Then add a 20 moa base. Then add XTR signature rings and change inserts until you get very close to the absolute bottom of the scopes adjustment at your preferred zero range.

The anomalies you are seeing are likely due to height over bore and total adjustment differences.
With my Burris XTR Signature Rings, my sunshade almost touches the rifle. This gets me about 30 MOA and that is fine, if I need more, I will remove the sunshade.

+1 on the XTR signature rings. @2aBaCa has it right, as I've checked with Burris about my 30MOA mount and their 90MOA travel scopes. Tech support said I may or may not get a 100 yard zero.

My 3-15 XTR with 120MOA travel on a 20MOA base and the XTR rings netted me almost 29MIL dial up after getting my 100 yard zero. You know, for those 2500 yard shots I take all the time ;) Not.

My 300WM beat up the mounting screws though, but Burris sent me a new set no questions asked.

According to the tech support my XTR2 reticle is already offset for a 20 moa base. With 90moa total I can NOT put 40Moa of cant and zero at 100. Belive me, I tried.

I went with Burris XTR Signature rings and got 35ish moa. So now I get the full travel range of the reticle.

But how can I get 30moa , thats approx 10 mils over the norm. Seems crazy due to height over bore....I am perfectly happy with it though.

Never heard about the burris rings deal, pretty cool.

PB

But how can I get 30moa , thats approx 10 mils over the norm. Seems crazy due to height over bore....I am perfectly happy with it though.

PB
ADM makes a 30moa Mount or you can get a 20 moa base and add 10 more with the XTR signature rings.

The norm does not matter. What matters is getting the amount of offset that you want and that works for what you are trying to do. I see no point in mounting a scope on a long range rifle in a way that leaves adjustment on the table. I set mine so they are a Mil or so from bottomed out.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶

PB

If my math is correct.

30moa = 8.75mils

How is that 10mils over norm? What is norm?

What is your scopes advertised total elevation?

If my math is correct.

30moa = 8.75mils

How is that 10mils over norm? What is norm?

I am fkn retarded, I meant 30 mils on that one scope. When norm is 20-25 mils tops on all others. I just accept it on luck.

Just shoot a cartridge with less drop. :)

I'm at 16.8 mils at 1 mile in the 300 PRC...plenty left on the table....at 2500 yds...I'm using the bottom of the reticle.

So, the Deviant action has 6 mils built in....and the next scope is a ZCO 5-27 MPCT3.....so 36mm tube....giving me 35mils of elevation...so half that plus a 9mil Spuhr mount...should get me out there just fine.

Just shoot a cartridge with less drop. :)

I'm at 16.8 mils at 1 mile in the 300 PRC...plenty left on the table....at 2500 yds...I'm using the bottom of the reticle.

So, the Deviant action has 6 mils built in....and the next scope is a ZCO 5-27 MPCT3.....so 36mm tube....giving me 35mils of elevation...so half that plus a 9mil Spuhr mount...should get me out there just fine.
A mile is easy with 300 WM. Im getting 2886 with 225 ELD M ammo. like 17 mils if my memory serves me, that is no issue. But when you go to 6.5 or 308 different story entirely.

PB

Mounts and rails have their tolerances that can stack in different directions. If everything was perfect, a 6 mrad inclined base would offste your zero exactly 6 mrad from the mechanical center of the adjustment range. However, if the mount is a also a couple of mrad off or the clamp on the mount is slightly mismatched to the rails, you can have a few more mrad in either direction.

ILya