• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Universal barrel contours?

Jerry D

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2020
Canada
What barrel contours are universal between all manufacturers or do they all have their own variations?

I’ve got the Remington sporter which seems universal and the mag sporter but maybe there still are slight differences.

What about the Sendero/rem varmint. I’ve read bartlein and Kreiger call them the same but then other manufacturers when I read the specs aren’t quite the same etc. Then I see heavy varmints and others.

M24/mtu etc.

I want the barrel to fit the inlet nicely and prefer to work with a universal contour to make things simple when it’s time for a replacement if I end up with barrels from different manufacturers.

Is it common to order a x brand barrel in a y brand contour?

If you haven't looked already, the contour charts for all the manufacturers can be found on their websites. Every manufacturer ive dealt with will do custom contours, so you can have whatever shape you want from whichever company you want. With the long backlogs of orders across manufacturers, it’s probably wisest to pick a common contour and buy from a third party like bugholes.com etc.

Contours and tapers can vary slightly from barrel to barrel even from the same manufacturer. The best thing to do so you don't have fitment issues is to do a chassis or a something like a manners with a straight 1.25" barrel channel.

Reactions: Baron23
If you want the barrel to fit an inlet tightly then buy the barrel you want and inlet the stock for it.
Then hope the next is the same when you cook the first one or pay for your smith to fit it perfectly.

I run wide open barrel channels and never have to worry about it.