• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Any upgrades I can do?

Dustoff82

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2011
Texas
I have a Kimber Desert Warrior, and I was wondering if there is any enhancements I can do to make it more accurate?

Re: Any upgrades I can do?

What size groups are you getting, and what size groups do you want to get?

unless you know what you are doing, you don't want to mess with any of the internals. Really short of taking it to a competent 1911 smith and telling him what you want, there isn't much that you can do without the proper tools and know how

I would take a lot of this:

Lake_50SM.jpg

to this:

Figure_16_100_Yard_Indoor_wm.jpg

along with some of this:

Master-Pistol-Trainer.jpg

and I bet you see an upgrade to your accuracy.

That's not exactly true. You could look into some of the simple stuff. Such as maybe upgrading to a full length guide rod, and a simple trigger replacement. By that I mean just replacing the trigger shoe itself. It probably will require some fitting, but depending on what trigger you choose, it may drop in. Of course all this hinges on your ability. If your not competent then don't do it. I mean I wouldn't be opposed to polishing my trigger components, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with messing with dear/hammer engagement areas. Some of these little things help and some don't. Some only make you think it helped, but really didn't change any thing. I'd start with the guide rod setup and change to a drop in 1pc rod. Then I might change the spring. The only thing that will really change is the lock up speed and possibly the reliability of the gun. Now this all hinges on whether your gun already has a full length guide rod or not. If it does then don't worry about it. Sometimes the small amount of weight gained will help with muzzle flip as well. Other then that its playing with springs and such. There are drop in, according to the manufactures, parts that you can change, but it hardy ever works that way. A lot of em require some work, so don't do anything that you can't really do properly or safely. It's your hands and face that are on/behind the gun, so be smart!

Google sez:

"Features:
• Integral Kimber Tactical Rail™ for accessory
mounting.
• Premium KimPro II® fi nish is self-lubricating
and protects against the elements.
• Service Melt™ treatment rounds edges to
prevent snags on clothing or holsters.
• Bumped and grooved beavertail grip safety
encourages proper grip position.
• <span style="font-weight: bold">Short (military length) guide rod for quick
field stripping.</span>"

Looks like they built the pistol a specific way for specific reasons. It may be of interest to note that EIC legal ball guns must use a standard type of guide assembly like the one in the DW, and good ball gun builders get them to shoot 1.5" at 50 yards. The pistol already has more weight forward due to its longer frame with tacticool rail built in.

A $400 RIA 1911, a Brownell's catalog, and some files and punches from Harbor Freight sounds like a better direction for someone that can't help but mess with their 1911 themselves.

Go read the inner game of tennis and apply said principles to shooting. And practice a TON. Your Kimber is undoubtedly a better shooter than you are, if you are asking that question. Not trying to be an ass. When you have 15k rounds down the tube, you will know what it needs to improve.