• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any warrant to think about JR produced 22LR barrels/blanks?

__JR__

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2018
In the mood to factor for 2021...still got a lot of Border tricks up my sleeve..

I have a few Annie 2000 actions in tow would like to finally rebarrel after 15yrs in storage, sourcing/making the barrel tooling for 22LR to do so. Sorry about the gibberish, it's a mix of Scots/SoDak/FL cracker/bblmaker-ese. Figured once I have the tooling, test water if there are any interested parties for match grade 22LR taper handlapped blanks to make a day or two of it. No public opinion necessary, just testing interest whether to further the endeavour..

Later

Reactions: T.J.
Used to make some workable pipes for Eley, Anschutz, Walther (not Lothar), Butch Hongisto stateside for BR25 and BR50, Oly biathletes, big list. Not a lot of 10/22 stuff but just talking blanks for now.

Well, I may be wrong here but I believe that if you can make good rimfire barrels ya might be able to sell a few.

Butch Hongisto??? I don’t think he’s built a gun in 20 years.
Is this Border barrels? If so, I am aware of a handful of some pretty damned good ones way back, just not big enough numbers to draw many conclusions.
the bar is a fair degree higher these days....barrels at the top end have come a long way.

FWIW, there is ALWAYS interest in high grade match barrels. Demand is there, supplies are always stretched, consistency for every MFR of hand, taper lapped barrels is still somewhat of a challange.

Last edited:
Butch Hongisto??? I don’t think he’s built a gun in 20 years.
Is this Border barrels? If so, I am aware of a handful of some pretty damned good ones way back, just not big enough numbers to draw many conclusions.
the bar is a fair degree higher these days....barrels at the top end have come a long way.

FWIW, there is ALWAYS interest in high grade match barrels. Demand is there, supplies are always stretched, consistency for every MFR of hand, taper lapped barrels is still somewhat of a challange.
Not quite 20 years but probably 15 when he got the coeliac (sp)..and Yes he was pulling our blanks in from Border before my change of scenery. the twist in the game that I'm seeing is the trend toward non lead bullets, this will play to many sides of the unique smallbore spectrum. A new learning curve perhaps...

Not quite 20 years but probably 15 when he got the coeliac (sp)..and Yes he was pulling our blanks in from Border before my change of scenery. the twist in the game that I'm seeing is the trend toward non lead bullets, this will play to many sides of the unique smallbore spectrum. A new learning curve perhaps...

I always wondered why they sort of faded from the scene, seemed to show much promise and he was an early adapter.
Butch built me a gun, but during the entire process he suffered horrible migraines. Was told later they dominated his life and he could not ever get much done......very sad. I don’t know, is he still around ?
I don’t know about the non lead deal, not in regard to the BR world, anyway, although quite a bit of innovative stuff going on at present.
might I inquire....you were what @ Border?
What became of them in regard to rimfire or anything else ?

P.S. get a couple done....lots of guys looking for match level stuff.
With todays ammo a good blank .217”- .218” in the bore with about .0002” nice progressive taper in them.

I acquired Mr Hongisto phone number or email a couple or three years ago , I text him or emailed him he replied , he was going to make me some springs for a suhl but I never heard back from him

Wow, hadn’t heard anything about Butch in years until this thread, and just today I’ve read Butch Hongisto has died due to Covid......very sad.