• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any watchmakers or repairmen here

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
I am interested in learning more about the workings of my watches. I have a couple semi functional automatic watches to tinker on.
Looking for recommendations on books or home schooling courses. I bought a few books from amazon and am waiting on them to arrive. Most appear to be from the 50s so I do not know if they will have any info on self winding movements

There aren't enough hours in the day for me to mess with wind ups or self winders. But I get quartz parts from:

cas-ker.com
julesborel.com

They may have some books, or videos to help you.

Go to timezone.com Go about halfway down the page on the right side. Time Zone Watch School.

Look for the level 1 class. You buy a kit with tools and a basic movement to use for the online tutorial. It is a great introduction to watches. But be ware! Watches are extremely addicting.

Last edited:
Well I took apart and reassembled a 1908 Illinois pocket watch last night. With the exception of the broken balance staff which is why it was dead in the first place, it worked for a short time. I will start looking for a part and a balance spring and see if it will be fully functional.

Go to timezone.com Go about halfway down the page on the right side. Time Zone Watch School.

Look for the level 1 class. You buy a kit with tools and a basic movement to use for the online tutorial. It is a great introduction to watches. But be ware! Watches are extremely addicting.

Timezone is an interesting forum. I guess everything under the sun can become a hobby and/or addiction with the attendant web forum. I have a lot of expensive watches, but I guess I lack the passion of some of those guys.

Many of those old pocket watch movements are true works of art.

Watches are amazing machines, and like guns, the sky is the limit. Companies like Sinn and Damasko are on the cutting edge of technology and manufacturing processes. I visited the Sinn factory in Frankfurt. It was like heaven for me...

The ability to keep accurate time is a key in navigation which is obviously near and dear to my heart.