• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Win 70 folks using the CG X-Treme trigger?

IronMaidenFan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Palm Beach, Florida
Hi guys and gals,
After finding a lot of useful information here via Google searches I just registered on the site. Using the search function found a related thread where the OP had a Remington 700. My rifle is an FN-SPR with a Winchester 70 action. I don't like the factory trigger and was leaning towards the CG X-Treme trigger because it is a 2 stage design. Anyone else using this trigger and what are your opinions on it?

Thanks!

Re: Any Win 70 folks using the CG X-Treme trigger?

All you need is a pair of 1/4" wrenches and some nail polish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need is a pair of 1/4" wrenches and some nail polish. </div></div>

What self respecting Maiden fan doesn't have wrenches and nail polish at the ready?
smile.gif
Now what?

wrenches.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IronMaidenFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need is a pair of 1/4" wrenches and some nail polish. </div></div>

What self respecting Maiden fan doesn't have wrenches and nail polish at the ready?
smile.gif
Now what?

wrenches.jpg
</div></div>

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the newer mod 70's have an adj. Trigger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the newer mod 70's have an adj. Trigger? </div></div>

You are correct OBX, the stock trigger is adjustable but I've come to love the 2 stage trigger in my SR-15 and want one in the SPR.

I also like 2 stage triggers, but it's a tough sell on me to spend several hundred bucks, when a 39¢ spring and 30 minutes makes the two-lever SPR trigger pretty frickin great.

Send John at Huber triggers an email expressing your interest in a 2 stage for the Fn/Win. He's been working on one.

I ordered the CG X-Treme trigger earlier today. It's being sent 2nd day so I can have my 'smith install it before heading to the range next weekend. I'll update the thread with my initial impressions then. Thanks everyone for your input!

I will be interested to hear what you think of it. I have a tuned factory trigger in my FN SPR that is absolutely phenomenal, but I am also a huge fan of two stage triggers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also like 2 stage triggers, but it's a tough sell on me to spend several hundred bucks, when a 39¢ spring and 30 minutes makes the two-lever SPR trigger pretty frickin great. </div></div>

What spring did you buy? I adjusted the creep and overtravel on my SPR, but it's still got a pretty heavy pull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also like 2 stage triggers, but it's a tough sell on me to spend several hundred bucks, when a 39¢ spring and 30 minutes makes the two-lever SPR trigger pretty frickin great. </div></div>

What spring did you buy? I adjusted the creep and overtravel on my SPR, but it's still got a pretty heavy pull. </div></div>

I went to the hardware store and bought an appropriate diameter and weight spring, then trimmed to length.

The OEM spring is too heavy, and too short to tune (SAFELY) less than ~3lb. It is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL the spring forces the trigger as far forward as the trigger is mechanically capable of going. Otherwise, you may not get sear engagement, and the rifle may discharge upon bolt closure. Not good.

Trouble with OEM spring is when you've got the preload set to less than ~3lb, the spring is not compressed enough to guarantee sear engagement.

What you want is a much lighter, and longer spring that is quite compressed when at your desired pull weight. In testing, I've had mine as light as ~1lb, and it was reliable, though I still didn't feel comfortable "fielding" it at that weight. 2lb+ however, I feel is good to go.

Test the shit out of it on the workbench before EVER taking it to the range, and only put a round into battery when the rifle is on target, aimed at something you desire to rip a hole in...That goes for ANY trigger modification!!! ...And any firearm modification for that matter... ...and is of course, the only safe way to ever handle/operate any firearm.

Where in MI are you? I'd be willing to help you out if you aren't sure of yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also like 2 stage triggers, but it's a tough sell on me to spend several hundred bucks, when a 39¢ spring and 30 minutes makes the two-lever SPR trigger pretty frickin great. </div></div>

What spring did you buy? I adjusted the creep and overtravel on my SPR, but it's still got a pretty heavy pull. </div></div>

I went to the hardware store and bought an appropriate diameter and weight spring, then trimmed to length.

The OEM spring is too heavy, and too short to tune (SAFELY) less than ~3lb. It is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL the spring forces the trigger as far forward as the trigger is mechanically capable of going. Otherwise, you may not get sear engagement, and the rifle may discharge upon bolt closure. Not good.

Trouble with OEM spring is when you've got the preload set to less than ~3lb, the spring is not compressed enough to guarantee sear engagement.

What you want is a much lighter, and longer spring that is quite compressed when at your desired pull weight. In testing, I've had mine as light as ~1lb, and it was reliable, though I still didn't feel comfortable "fielding" it at that weight. 2lb+ however, I feel is good to go.

Test the shit out of it on the workbench before EVER taking it to the range, and only put a round into battery when the rifle is on target, aimed at something you desire to rip a hole in...That goes for ANY trigger modification!!! ...And any firearm modification for that matter... ...and is of course, the only safe way to ever handle/operate any firearm.

Where in MI are you? I'd be willing to help you out if you aren't sure of yourself. </div></div>

I'll have to take a look this weekend when I get a chance and then head out to the hardware stores to find the right diameter and weight springs.

I'm roughly located anywhere between Lansing to Grand Rapids to Ludington depending on the day. Where are you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be interested to hear what you think of it. I have a tuned factory trigger in my FN SPR that is absolutely phenomenal, but I am also a huge fan of two stage triggers. “I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence.” - Ayrton Senna </div></div>

Will do Cegorach. BTW, love your sig! I'm a big Ayrton Senna fan and an NSX owner.

Off topic: y'all see the recent Ayrton Senna movie/documentary? Awesome!

Would have loved to watch him race Schummy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Off topic: y'all see the recent Ayrton Senna movie/documentary? Awesome!

Would have loved to watch him race Schummy. </div></div>

Roger that!