• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Winchester 52 people out there?

darkstar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
In the woods or heading there..
I see the 40X's are real popular here and for good reason. They are fine pieces of American workmanship.

But my personal preference is the Winchester 52's. I have been into Win 52's for some time now and was wondering how many others here shoot or collect them. I have had many different models over the years, but my personal favorites are the -C-'s from the mid to late 50's. I think they got it all working with that model. The combination of being a repeater (that works!!), the micro motion trigger and the ergonomics of the stock just work for me. Not to mention the excellent overall workmanship. Any others out there?
Best to all,
DS

Re: Any Winchester 52 people out there?

Darkstar,
I am in complete agreement with you, but they are for some reason not what the cool kids on the site use. They buy old SS rifles, spend thousands on them, and then wonder why no one will convert them to a repeater. So, they end up with a very expensive 22 single shot. Not sure how much actulal training you can do with that. One of the critisims of the '52 is the you "cannot get parts for them" Like they need parts. Why not just shoot them?
Like you, I have many and mostly shoot a late 50's std wt target C model. I really like it.
Even the Mod 37 is ignored for the most part and it is a repeater as well.
RTH

Yeah, I hear you on the trainers thing. I could never understand that, but to each his own. Its the same reason we dont have many examples of stock 50's and 60's American Muscle Cars. We just had to "make them better"? The good news is the appreciation values for those of us that have kept the faith. So thank you mister and misses gotta mod.

My 2 favs of the ones I own are a '55 -C- HB with Internationals front and rear and a '57 Bull with a 20x Unertl. All original and I like them that way. Neither can I ever in my life outshoot, so I consider myself lucky that I can pull them out and always challenge myself with them. The '55 is actually the better shooter of the 2 and the little more banged up. I keep the irons on that one to challenge myself. Its a sweetheart at any range. Actually all of them I have owned from the -b-'s onward have been top notch shooters. But the -c- trigger and stock took the barreled action platform to the next level.

Parts are not that hard to get for them from what I have encountered over the years. But like you said, why not just shoot them as is. They group tight enough to win right out of the box. If your into them like I think you are, I dont think its about what is better or the most accurate. They are classic American workmanship AND they just plain hit the dot. For me it dont get better than that.

There is good reason for the rem 37's not being as popular. They are collectable. But they are grossly inconsistent in quality. Some are fantastic shooters, some are unreliable dogs. You dont know until you own and those are def hard to get parts for. I owned one in 97% condition a long time ago that just would not feed and I never did like the stock or the trigger compared to the 52 -c-'s. I got spoiled. And talk about something thats hard to find extra magazines for?!? Bring your checkbook...I rembember thinking now I know why this is in new condition, it sucks to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darkstar,
I am in complete agreement with you, but they are for some reason not what the cool kids on the site use. They buy old SS rifles, spend thousands on them, and then wonder why no one will convert them to a repeater. So, they end up with a very expensive 22 single shot. Not sure how much actulal training you can do with that. One of the critisims of the '52 is the you "cannot get parts for them" Like they need parts. Why not just shoot them?
Like you, I have many and mostly shoot a late 50's std wt target C model. I really like it.
RTH </div></div>

Win 52s aren't appreciated here because they're not tactifa*cool, people here are into things like plastic stocks and camo spray paint. The beauty of high gloss blue in burl wood is mostly lost here.

Come over to RimfireCentral, definitely a lot more 52s over there. There's actually a subforum dedicated to 52s.

And the Model 37 .22LR repeater is a Remington, not a Winnie.

Win 52s at RFC, none mine:

52sgroupfromR.jpg

DSCN0504.jpg

USRAC52006.jpg

Kswift,
Thank you for the post and the pics. I have a 37 and knew it was a Rem of course. Just put it in there as an example.
Nice photos.

I also enjoy shooting the Win 52C. I bought a picatinny rail that mounts on the rifle without any changes to the rifle, it uses the exsisting mounting holes. I have mounted a leupold MK4 4.5-14 scope on the rifle and shoot 100yds. It is great practice for long range shooting with a scope and it is just plain fun. For me the accuracy of the rifle is outstanding.

I've owned a couple of 52s over the years but they just passed through my hands. A few months ago another poster here suggested a 52C/B reissue when I asked about 52s as trainers. These were built by Miroku in the 90s and are reproductions of the 52c sporters. The first runs were Browning marked and had the C stock. The later Win. runs had a B sporter stock with C metal. If your familiar with the Miroku 1892s, 1886s, B-78s, 1885s, 1895s, etc. then you know the quality they can produce.

I bought one and I'm very pleased. A very nicely put together piece, adult sized, 8.3lbs with scope, extra mags for about ten bucks from Brownells, and very accurate. If you go on RFC to the 52 sub-group and search with "reissue", you'll find lots of info. There's a target posted by Kixon66 with nine bulls. Three shot grps. at 50 yds. all one ragged hole.

There are more 52 shooters out there than the numbers of responses on forums will lead you to believe. We are out shooting them and don't usually have time for the internet.I wish anyways, never enough range time. Here is mine.
11hsco8.jpg

My step dad had this rifle since he was a kid and told me his father had the stock replaced after it was broken in the 50's he gave it to me after I punched out from the Marine Corps so I would always have a heavy barrel bolt action to shoot. It is an amazing rifle and I would love to get a scope (Unertl or Lyman) for it, just need one at the right price. I have the barrel dovetail mounts and even considered drilling and tapping it for standard mounts but just can't bring myself to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darkstar,
RTH </div></div>

Win 52s aren't appreciated here because they're not tactifa*cool, people here are into things like plastic stocks and camo spray paint. The beauty of high gloss blue in burl wood is mostly lost here.

Come over to RimfireCentral, definitely a lot more 52s over there. There's actually a subforum dedicated to 52s.

And the Model 37 .22LR repeater is a Remington, not a Winnie.

Win 52s at RFC, none mine:

52sgroupfromR.jpg

DSCN0504.jpg

USRAC52006.jpg
</div></div>

Yeah I hear ya, but something tells me that me and a few of my buddies that also own black plastic and metal too are not the only ones that own and appreciate them. I know there are more of us out there.
I know of some sweet rigs that have been made from pitted and trashed 52's and had their actions pulled, cleaned rebarreled and put in custom milled aluminum and composite stocks and they use them in competition. But they are also people that would cringe at the idea of doing it from a clean example of one. so right from the start we look at them differently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davjones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also enjoy shooting the Win 52C. I bought a picatinny rail that mounts on the rifle without any changes to the rifle, it uses the exsisting mounting holes. I have mounted a leupold MK4 4.5-14 scope on the rifle and shoot 100yds. It is great practice for long range shooting with a scope and it is just plain fun. For me the accuracy of the rifle is outstanding.</div></div>

Do you mean the cantalever mounts? They look interesting. I have bid on a few over the years on ebay but never got one. I have unertls and lymans on a few of mine. It would be nice to have the variable power set up like yours, but because I have stayed with the vintage set ups and I have gotten use to using redfield and lyman irons out to 200 yards and I like the challenge. As long as my eyes hold out that is.. I have been doing it so long that my '56 m70 30-06 (my deer rifle) has redfield micrometer irons on it. Our woods are deep and thick so there are no shots past 150 MAX. Mostly in the 100 and under range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quarter Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned a couple of 52s over the years but they just passed through my hands. A few months ago another poster here suggested a 52C/B reissue when I asked about 52s as trainers. These were built by Miroku in the 90s and are reproductions of the 52c sporters. The first runs were Browning marked and had the C stock. The later Win. runs had a B sporter stock with C metal. If your familiar with the Miroku 1892s, 1886s, B-78s, 1885s, 1895s, etc. then you know the quality they can produce.

I bought one and I'm very pleased. A very nicely put together piece, adult sized, 8.3lbs with scope, extra mags for about ten bucks from Brownells, and very accurate. If you go on RFC to the 52 sub-group and search with "reissue", you'll find lots of info. There's a target posted by Kixon66 with nine bulls. Three shot grps. at 50 yds. all one ragged hole.</div></div>

I dont own one of them but I have shot one of the browing marked ones and they are very nice balanced shooters. Every thing about them is nice. Add to that the ability to mount modern optics and you have a sweet piece. I think they are well worth the money they are going for. Actually, for a while there the secondary market on them was low for the quality you got but that has changed. Obivously the word got out on them. I hope to luck out one day and get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kswift,
Thank you for the post and the pics. I have a 37 and knew it was a Rem of course. Just put it in there as an example.
Nice photos.</div></div>
Yes, thanks. Now I will have to figure out how to post picks here I have not done it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are more 52 shooters out there than the numbers of responses on forums will lead you to believe. We are out shooting them and don't usually have time for the internet.I wish anyways, never enough range time. Here is mine.
11hsco8.jpg

My step dad had this rifle since he was a kid and told me his father had the stock replaced after it was broken in the 50's he gave it to me after I punched out from the Marine Corps so I would always have a heavy barrel bolt action to shoot. It is an amazing rifle and I would love to get a scope (Unertl or Lyman) for it, just need one at the right price. I have the barrel dovetail mounts and even considered drilling and tapping it for standard mounts but just can't bring myself to do it. </div></div>

Nice piece Platypus. I dont know about you, but I am not that much better if any of a shot wih rimfire under 100 yds with a scope as opposed to irons anyway. Its nice to see you still have the barrel band on yours. That was a real popular mod for a while there, removing the band, free floating the barrel and bedding the action. I have never shot one that had those mods that I felt was any more accurate than mine which have the bands still and are unbedded. Have you checked out the cantalever mounts like davjones mentioned? No mods required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are more 52 shooters out there than the numbers of responses on forums will lead you to believe. We are out shooting them and don't usually have time for the internet.I wish anyways, never enough range time. Here is mine.
11hsco8.jpg

My step dad had this rifle since he was a kid and told me his father had the stock replaced after it was broken in the 50's he gave it to me after I punched out from the Marine Corps so I would always have a heavy barrel bolt action to shoot. It is an amazing rifle and I would love to get a scope (Unertl or Lyman) for it, just need one at the right price. I have the barrel dovetail mounts and even considered drilling and tapping it for standard mounts but just can't bring myself to do it. </div></div>

You do not have to drill and tap for a scope mount. Ken Viani makes a scope mount the uses rear scope mount holes on the barrel and you replace the rear sight mount with one he makes. This allows you to mount a picatinny rail, also supplied by him, to the rifle. You can mount any modern scope on the rifle. You can still use the Redfield rear sight if you want with the replacement rear sight mount. There is no permanent modification to the rifle. I have had one of these on my rifle for about 1.5 years and have been extremely pleased with it.

I own three 52's, a pre-A , a C and a D.
52CD.jpg

Man, why are you 52 guys thrashing the 40X guys? My 40X drops into my "plastic" stock which is why I have a 40X... Accuracy International didn't make a chassis for the 52.

That said, I would LOVE to own a 52 or a really nice 37. I don't simply for the facts DFOOSKING mentioned. Now I have my trainer needs met in the 40X, so the next +1K RF Investment may very well be a 52 or an Annie - either way, going open sights!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, why are you 52 guys thrashing the 40X guys? My 40X drops into my "plastic" stock which is why I have a 40X... Accuracy International didn't make a chassis for the 52.

That said, I would LOVE to own a 52 or a really nice 37. I don't simply for the facts DFOOSKING mentioned. Now I have my trainer needs met in the 40X, so the next +1K RF Investment may very well be a 52 or an Annie - either way, going open sights!</div></div>

RicosRevenge,
No way would I trash a 40X!?! They are fine rifles and I own them too. I just prefer 52's and I know I am not alone in this. The only thing I said that might be seen as negative was towards the model 37 Rem. I am not the ony one that has seen inconsistent quality in them. Get out with it and chase that dot and Enjoy that 40X Bra!
BTW: NO Way on that Annie thing for me. Quality or not, for me Im into the American Iron. If you are going to own a 37, see if you can shoot it first :-O

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own three 52's, a pre-A , a C and a D.
52CD.jpg
</div></div>

2 Beautiful examples....
Is the us pencil engraved by the notorious "drunk monkey"? :)

accually, the 52c was not stamped or engraved on the medal, just the DOD stamp on the wood. I've heard some of the first rifles were pulled out of Winchester inventory and sent to the military. The military may have started the marking after some of the first rifles were in us. Just conjecture, nothing to back up wht this one isn't stamped
here is the 52c with sights and the early pre-A

P1100306.jpg

Winchester 52 do command a high price, do in part to how they shoot in their original configuration. I have a few in different models Pre A speedlock, B's C's and D's. I like the C's and D's due to the trigger. The 52's shoot better than a few example Remington 40x rifles that I have collected, especially the C's and D's. Just my two cents. 45/70SS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">accually, the 52c was not stamped or engraved on the medal, just the DOD stamp on the wood. I've heard some of the first rifles were pulled out of Winchester inventory and sent to the military. The military may have started the marking after some of the first rifles were in us. Just conjecture, nothing to back up wht this one isn't stamped
here is the 52c with sights and the early pre-A

P1100306.jpg
</div></div>

Very Nice. Eagle and 3 stars about 1/4" in size on bottom of the grip?
It could have also been a replacement stock one of the previous owners got their hands on. It dont really matter, as a c with a DAS marked stock is desireable to a collector. I have seen just the DAS marked stock alone go for a sweet penny in auctions. Nice catch.

Well gentlemen I emailed Ken Viani and he no longer makes the mounts for the Win 52. I guess I will just have to go old school with a Unertl or Lyman. My 52 is a better shooter than any of the Rem 40X I have had the opportunity to shoot and I will keep it in the original condition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4570sharpshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Winchester 52 do command a high price, do in part to how they shoot in their original configuration. I have a few in different models Pre A speedlock, B's C's and D's. I like the C's and D's due to the trigger. The 52's shoot better than a few example Remington 40x rifles that I have collected, especially the C's and D's. Just my two cents. 45/70SS</div></div>

Yes But its the history too:
They Have Documented History that Ties Them To Our Military Going Back to 1920. The first International Shooting Competition Our Marines ever won (1920) was with a Model 52. Actually, it was the Marines that drove the "accurate competition rimfire magazine fed repeater that actually repeated..." requirement that pushed Winchester to finalize the design and produce it for that specific 1920 competition which they won shooting against the Brits (and i think the Aussies) at Caldwell, NJ. Before the 52 design, there was not a trustworthy accurate rf repeater.
Add to that over the next 45 plus years, the ammount of competitions won and records set with them solidified their place in shooting history.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also command more money because there are more Winchester collectors...

Perhaps its a generation thing...

Just my experience, but that's what I've noticed. Did see a really cool Mossberg collection get sold to a gun shop.

IMAG0735.jpg
</div></div>

Yeah, It is a generation thing. And a savvy thing. If you know what they are, you know what you are getting.
Nice Mossbergs, Im sure they would make great door stops and such..:-O
Just kidding, they just are not in a league with what a 52 is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well gentlemen I emailed Ken Viani and he no longer makes the mounts for the Win 52. I guess I will just have to go old school with a Unertl or Lyman. My 52 is a better shooter than any of the Rem 40X I have had the opportunity to shoot and I will keep it in the original condition. </div></div>

Thanks for the update.
I cant say enough about the lymans and unertls. Oh, other than if you get a nice one the glass is clean and bring your checkbook....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also command more money because there are more Winchester collectors...

Perhaps its a generation thing...

Just my experience, but that's what I've noticed. Did see a really cool Mossberg collection get sold to a gun shop.

IMAG0735.jpg
</div></div>

Yeah, It is a generation thing. And a savvy thing. If you know what they are, you know what you are getting.
Nice Mossbergs, Im sure they would make great door stops and such..:-O
Just kidding, they just are not in a league with what a 52 is.
</div></div>

Oh, I ain't implying they are the same...just appreciate the old stuff. I ain't against the Winchesters...just making an observation. My 75T is a nice little rimfire.

I'd take any of those doorstops if they offered them.</div></div>

Yeah id take em too if they were cheap enough.
75's are nice too. I think they are a good dollar value. I use to have a 75 in sweet shape that had a good trigger job done on it by a previous owner. It shot real nice. I regret getting rid of it, but I just started consolidating. I have know older shooters that preferred 75's for offhand over the 52's back in the day as they were lighter and they could handle them easier which made them better shots with them.

Very Nice. Eagle and 3 stars about 1/4" in size on bottom of the grip?
It could have also been a replacement stock one of the previous owners got their hands on. It dont really matter, as a c with a DAS marked stock is desireable to a collector. I have seen just the DAS marked stock alone go for a sweet penny in auctions. Nice catch.

papered CMP rifle out of the first batch released

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Nice. Eagle and 3 stars about 1/4" in size on bottom of the grip?

papered CMP rifle out of the first batch released</div></div>

Very Nice.

1.jpg

1955 Mod 52 -C- Heavy Barrel, Redfield International Mark 8 (1/8" moa) Rear Sight and Olympic Front Sight. This is the one I shoot the most and is the most accurate -C- I ever shot.

2.jpg

1957 Mod 52 -C- Bull Barrel, Unertl 20x Scope, 2" Objective, 1" Maintube -w- Optional Posa Mounts and Magnum Stop Clamp.

3.jpg

1966 Mod 52 -E- Heavy Barrel, Unertl 20x Scope, 1.5" Objective, 3/4" Maintube -w- Optional 30% increaser eyepiece (bring mag to 27x), Posa Mounts and Magnum Stop Clamp. This is hands down the most accurate 52 (actually the most accurate rimfire) I have ever shot.

4.jpg

1966 Mod 52 -E- International Positional Rifle, Al Freeland Adjustable Laminated Stock, Carl Kenyon Trigger Option, All Factory Stock Accessories, Lyman 30X Super Target Spot Scope that was ordered with the rifle. Missing from the picture is the cast handstop and the front sling swivel accessories, both are dovetail lever release type that can be used seperate or together. I have them, they just didnt make the shot. This is an older pick showing Redfield Olympic front and rear sites that also came with it, I have since gone over to Redfield International Mark 8 (1/8" moa adjustments) rear Sites and an International Big Bore Front Site (brighter site picture).

I have a 52C that is US Property marked and wears a 14x Unertil on top. It came with the Winchester single shot "sled" adapter magazine. It also came with some kind of other (non factory?) single shot adapter. I have that one in pieces and have never quite figured it out. Anyone out there have any non factory single shot adapters for the 52s?
Darkstar, very nice rifles and original accessories.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFK52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 52C that is US Property marked and wears a 14x Unertil on top. It came with the Winchester single shot "sled" adapter magazine. It also came with some kind of other (non factory?) single shot adapter. I have that one in pieces and have never quite figured it out. Anyone out there have any non factory single shot adapters for the 52s?
Darkstar, very nice rifles and original accessories.</div></div>

Thanks JFK52, I just tried posting picks for the first time. Is yours vibro engraved or roll stamped US Property? Is the body of the non factory sled cast or a machined block? Spring loaded machined piece ramp like the factory one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine needs a trigger job bad.

You ever heard the phrase, "breaks like a glass rod." Mine breaks like an arthritic finger.</div></div>
Yup, thats the 75 factory set up. Their nice, they just make you work harder for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFK52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. It also came with some kind of other (non factory?) single shot adapter. I have that one in pieces and have never quite figured it out. Anyone out there have any non factory single shot adapters for the 52s?. </div></div>

Winchester maade two single shot adapters. The early one looks like a 5 rd mag, the other looks like this.
The one on the right is a reproduction sold by Brownell's

P3290021.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFK52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. It also came with some kind of other (non factory?) single shot adapter. I have that one in pieces and have never quite figured it out. Anyone out there have any non factory single shot adapters for the 52s?. </div></div>

Winchester maade two single shot adapters. The early one looks like a 5 rd mag, the other looks like this.
The one on the right is a reproduction sold by Brownell's

P3290021.jpg
</div></div>
The repo looks pretty good. Nice edge brakes on the feed ramp. I didnt know they had them. I managed to get a bunch of factory ones years ago from a friend that was a college team shooter back in the day. They were still in the brown Winchester envelopes with the string on it.

I love all the 52's from the pre A's to the E Internationals. As you mentioned, the workmanship in all the C's is outstanding. However for pure shooting accuracty the later ones are hard to beat. My favorite is an E International with Kenyon trigger.
You might check out the Winchester 52 sub forum over at Rimfire Central. Lot's and lots of info on the 52.
Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seewin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love all the 52's from the pre A's to the E Internationals. As you mentioned, the workmanship in all the C's is outstanding. However for pure shooting accuracty the later ones are hard to beat. My favorite is an E International with Kenyon trigger.
You might check out the Winchester 52 sub forum over at Rimfire Central. Lot's and lots of info on the 52.
Steve</div></div>

Ah yes seewin, I see the lure of the 52's has pulled you out of the shadows to post :)
The -E-'s are by far the most accurate of all of them I have owned or shot. Its a shame they were the last of the line and so few were made. The -C- was the highpoint of the original design criteria being the repeater. But Ill tell ya what. To put that hand lapped -E- barrel on a -C- action would have been all that and a bag of chips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RicosRevenge,
No way would I trash a 40X!?! They are fine rifles and I own them too. I just prefer 52's and I know I am not alone in this. The only thing I said that might be seen as negative was towards the model 37 Rem. I am not the ony one that has seen inconsistent quality in them. Get out with it and chase that dot and Enjoy that 40X Bra!
BTW: NO Way on that Annie thing for me. Quality or not, for me Im into the American Iron. If you are going to own a 37, see if you can shoot it first :-O </div></div>
DS, oh, I know... all good natured ribbing spurned by jealousy! I wish I could own ALL the toys!!!
laugh.gif

getting ready to send in an order to the CMP for a 52C barreled action. I have a bolt and the mag group parts, just need a trigger and stock. This will be a shooter, not a restoration. So a rebo stock or aftermarket would be just fine. If anyone here has a 52c trigger they want to sell, let be know. Any type will do, original, canger, or Kenyon.
Howard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RicosRevenge,
BTW: NO Way on that Annie thing for me. Quality or not, for me Im into the American Iron. If you are going to own a 37, see if you can shoot it first :-O </div></div>
DS, oh, I know... all good natured ribbing spurned by jealousy! I wish I could own ALL the toys!!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

RR,
HA, I hear ya Bud! I was talking with a friend and fellow 52 collector recently. A few vodkas into it, it came to me that collecting as an adult must have started with us as kids. You were sitting there eating cereal and reading the back of the box. They were offering some kind of box tops and a few bucks for the Capt. Zappo's Super Secret Atomic Stuff Collection. Secret 3D Xray Glasses, Secret Decoder Ring, Secret 2Way Radio Watch, ect. In big letters across the box it said "COLLECT THEM ALL !!" I would sit there chomping away thinkin yeah man I gotta have em, ALL OF EM....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">getting ready to send in an order to the CMP for a 52C barreled action. I have a bolt and the mag group parts, just need a trigger and stock. This will be a shooter, not a restoration. So a rebo stock or aftermarket would be just fine. If anyone here has a 52c trigger they want to sell, let be know. Any type will do, original, canger, or Kenyon.
Howard</div></div>
n64atlas,
Good luck with your build. Going with a modern shorter barrel or the traditional 27" pogo stick? Any way you stack it, anything you build around that action will be sweet. And a reliable repeater!

You probably already know this, but I see 52 -C- stocks, trigger groups and all misc parts up on ebay all the time. I scored a really nice factory -B- target stock and a Canjar trigger for a project there. Most guys I know that horde the older aftermarket parts just sit on them, but I will ask around. If I get any bites, I will pm you.

Just my opinion, but the Canjar is not that much nicer if any than the factory -C- trigger group adjusted to your liking and there is a premium you will pay. If you were building a -B-, it is worth the extra cost. The Kenyons are hands down the best.

[quote=Darkstarn64atlas,
Good luck with your build. Going with a modern shorter barrel or the traditional 27" pogo stick? Any way you stack it, anything you build around that action will be sweet. And a reliable repeater!

You probably already know this, but I see 52 -C- stocks, trigger groups and all misc parts up on ebay all the time. I scored a really nice factory -B- target stock and a Canjar trigger for a project there. Most guys I know that horde the older aftermarket parts just sit on them, but I will ask around. If I get any bites, I will pm you.

If the barrel is good, I'll leave it on. I like the long barrels and do use the old
scopes like the Redfield 3200 and Lyman STS. Not enough action to drill and tap anyway.
I would settle for any stock old or new manufacture. I might look into a benchrest stop
from Kelby. This is just a shooter. I can alway use the trigger group off my 52C just to see how
it shoots, at least till I find or someone makes a trigger for it. I've alwa7s liked my C trigger
even hetter than the D. They saw the D is better, but I can't tell the difference between them
and I do shoot a 2oz Anschutz trigger on the 54. Should have the paperwork done today and in the mail.
Wish me luck on getting a good one.
Howard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1.jpg

1955 Mod 52 -C- Heavy Barrel, Redfield International Mark 8 (1/8" moa) Rear Sight and Olympic Front Sight. This is the one I shoot the most and is the most accurate -C- I ever shot.

2.jpg

1957 Mod 52 -C- Bull Barrel, Unertl 20x Scope, 2" Objective, 1" Maintube -w- Optional Posa Mounts and Magnum Stop Clamp.

3.jpg

1966 Mod 52 -E- Heavy Barrel, Unertl 20x Scope, 1.5" Objective, 3/4" Maintube -w- Optional 30% increaser eyepiece (bring mag to 27x), Posa Mounts and Magnum Stop Clamp. This is hands down the most accurate 52 (actually the most accurate rimfire) I have ever shot.

4.jpg

1966 Mod 52 -E- International Positional Rifle, Al Freeland Adjustable Laminated Stock, Carl Kenyon Trigger Option, All Factory Stock Accessories, Lyman 30X Super Target Spot Scope that was ordered with the rifle. Missing from the picture is the cast handstop and the front sling swivel accessories, both are dovetail lever release type that can be used seperate or together. I have them, they just didnt make the shot. This is an older pick showing Redfield Olympic front and rear sites that also came with it, I have since gone over to Redfield International Mark 8 (1/8" moa adjustments) rear Sites and an International Big Bore Front Site (brighter site picture). </div></div>

Beautiful guns guns you have there. I have 2- Suhl 150's, a 37 w/Lyman 15x and 40x. Someday I will have a 52c or even a B.

Bought a Winchester Model 52 pre-A today. It was built it 1926,and has a Winchester A5 scope on top of it.

I'll get pictures up when I go and get it tomorrow.

It has some problems, the rear sight is missing and the stock is split but can be easily repaired. Doesn't look too bad for an 85 year old rifle.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement 82a rear sight for it?

Always wanted a 52, I cant wait to shoot it!

The 82A sight is really pretty common. I see them all the time on Ebay and Gunbroker. Price usually runs $75-$100. When buying, make sure it has both the windage adjustment screws and spring detents for same.
Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seewin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 82A sight is really pretty common. I see them all the time on Ebay and Gunbroker. Price usually runs $75-$100. When buying, make sure it has both the windage adjustment screws and spring detents for same.
Steve </div></div>

great to know steve thanks alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=Darkstarn64atlas,

If the barrel is good, I'll leave it on. I like the long barrels and do use the old
scopes like the Redfield 3200 and Lyman STS. Not enough action to drill and tap anyway.
I would settle for any stock old or new manufacture. I might look into a benchrest stop
from Kelby. This is just a shooter. I can alway use the trigger group off my 52C just to see how
it shoots, at least till I find or someone makes a trigger for it. I've alwa7s liked my C trigger
even hetter than the D. They saw the D is better, but I can't tell the difference between them
and I do shoot a 2oz Anschutz trigger on the 54. Should have the paperwork done today and in the mail.
Wish me luck on getting a good one.
Howard</div></div>

Right on Howard, Wish You Good Luck On Your Catch. Post some pics as you do the build if you can. Look forward to seeing it.
I have gotten use to the long barrels over time. I do like the balance and lighter weight of the newer short barrel rigs, but I wont do anything to mine but maintain and shoot them.
Myself, I dont see the -D- trigger as better, but then again, I cant outshoot what I have, so I just consider myself fortunate. But, the -D-'s are another example of sweet shooter that needs nothing but to be used. I think they are worth the money for what you get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bkincaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1966 Mod 52 -E- International Positional Rifle, Al Freeland Adjustable Laminated Stock, Carl Kenyon Trigger Option, All Factory Stock Accessories, Lyman 30X Super Target Spot Scope that was ordered with the rifle. Missing from the picture is the cast handstop and the front sling swivel accessories, both are dovetail lever release type that can be used seperate or together. I have them, they just didnt make the shot. This is an older pick showing Redfield Olympic front and rear sites that also came with it, I have since gone over to Redfield International Mark 8 (1/8" moa adjustments) rear Sites and an International Big Bore Front Site (brighter site picture). </div></div>

Beautiful guns guns you have there. I have 2- Suhl 150's, a 37 w/Lyman 15x and 40x. Someday I will have a 52c or even a B.</div></div>
Thanks Bryan, Sounds like you got some nice Rigs too. It took a lot of years, consolidating and horse trading to get my keepers. Its always a drag to let things go, but we all know what thats like?!?
DS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: younggun22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought a Winchester Model 52 pre-A today. It was built it 1926,and has a Winchester A5 scope on top of it.

I'll get pictures up when I go and get it tomorrow.

It has some problems, the rear sight is missing and the stock is split but can be easily repaired. Doesn't look too bad for an 85 year old rifle.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement 82a rear sight for it?

Always wanted a 52, I cant wait to shoot it!</div></div>

YG22,
Scored an early 52? Sweet!
Please post a before (as is) and after pick! You having an A5 scope is the hot vintage set up.
Steve makes a good point. Make sure you know what the WHOLE 82A Sight Assembly looks like! Ask from who you are buying if it is a complete rear sight assembly. You see a lot of sights posted for sale that have been scabbed for the lower assembly or some of the components and they dont identify that. Its also common to see them looking complete, but missing just the detent springs. That really sucks..
And Dont forget the condition of dovetail base! Thats damaged a lot too!

Just located this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WINCHESTER-52-REAR-T...=item3cb9075aac

It looks complete, in good condition and has some good reference picks, but you should still ask in writing if it is complete and fully functional! Good Luck Bud!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seewin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't bite on this one, the lower half is missing!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=236185249
Steve</div></div>

+1 on that Steve, maybe 20 buck worth of scabbed spares being sold as a complete unit. Common occurance..