• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Winchester shooters out there?

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
How do. Brand new to the forum and just wondering if anyone else shoots a Model 70. I do appreciate the pros of the Remington action, however I was able to find a NOS (new old stock) 70 Heavy Varmint Stainless Fluted in 308 Win. about 10 years ago and got it for a song.

It's <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> accurate by my standards, and since I added 20MOA bases (my 4-16 Black Diamond ran out of adjustment at about 850) and an aftermarket trigger, I plan on taking it out for some 1000 yard varminting this summer. I'll be adding a Tubb Speedlock system shortly. Oh, and it sits on a Harris bipod.

What other modifications can any of you recommend to help shrink groups at "way the hell out there" distances? I moved out here from Florida, and I never had the opportunity to shoot very far there. My handloads use the ubiquitous 168 grain HPBT (Nosler Competition) and Varget. If I hold my tongue just right (I don't pretend to be a precision shooter), it will consistently group in 1/4 MOA at 100 yards. Most of my varmint shooting will be from prone off the bipod.

Also, I've been searching around on the optics board to get some ideas on a scope (I'm gonna' swap the BD to my AR15 varmint gun), so expect me to annoy y'all with some questions over there. I do solemnly swear, however, to utilize the search function to the best of my ability <span style="font-style: italic">prior</span> to asking.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Re: Any Winchester shooters out there?

Welcome to the forum.

I have three Model 70 HBVs, two in .308, and one in .223.

All are sub MOA out of the box. All I ever did to any of them was to adjust the triggers and torque the action screws. The stock triggers, properly adjusted, I think are perfectly fine.

I put Badger 20 MOA bases on them, Eagle stock packs for a little better cheek weld, and a Harris S-BRM bipod.

I can't think of anything else to do to a rifle that shoots sub MOA.

The .223 is relatively new to me. I'm going to shoot the hell out of it. I kind of over-scoped it, since I had a Leupold 6.5-20X50M1 with a Premier Reticles Gen II FFP reticle sitting around.

I think the HBVs may well be the best production rifles built in the U.S. If FN was smart, they'd put them back in production, though they'd probably charge a lot more for them than I paid for any of mine. They are keepers.

Schweet! I figured someone else on here had to know about the Heavy Varmints. I know a lot of the folks on this forum choose full custom guns or high-end production pieces, but I don't have that kind of fundage. For now, I'll have to "make do" with my 70 and make such improvements as I can afford.

It looks like one thing I might consider changing is the bipod, then. Mine is non-swiveling and since the ground out here is seriously uneven, the S-BRM is a logical improvement.

Funny thing about you saying your 223 is "overscoped"...I actually <span style="font-style: italic">prefer</span> to put higher power on my smaller bore lighter-recoiling guns. I guess because I can watch the impact after firing, unlike with the bigger bores. It makes dusting prairie poodles and rockchucks more exciting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It's <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> accurate by my standards, and since I added 20MOA bases (my 4-16 Black Diamond ran out of adjustment at about 850) and an aftermarket trigger, I plan on taking it out for some 1000 yard varminting this summer. I'll be adding a Tubb Speedlock system shortly. Oh, and it sits on a Harris bipod.

What other modifications can any of you recommend to help shrink groups at "way the hell out there" distances? I moved out here from Florida, and I never had the opportunity to shoot very far there. My handloads use the ubiquitous 168 grain HPBT (Nosler Competition) and Varget. If I hold my tongue just right (I don't pretend to be a precision shooter), it will consistently group in 1/4 MOA at 100 yards. Most of my varmint shooting will be from prone off the bipod.

</div></div>

My advice for shooting beyond 800yds is to ditch those 168's and get 175's or 155's.

He's not shooting Sierra Matchking 168s, so he may be fine with the Noslers, particular in Wyoming at altitude. Not all 168's display the nasty transonic behaviour of the 168 SMK.

The Sierra 175 Matchkings are very accurate out of my .308 HBVs, though. There are other good bullets, too, like the Lapua Scenar 155.

Buffybuster, I was thinking I may have to go to 175s for serious long range work, but I'll have to send some of my current loads downrange to tell. If it turns out that they destabilize, I'll just use them for close- to mid- range work. I'd like to see what she does with the new 190 from Nosler, but I may not have enough twist for that.

GardDog, that is a NICE rifle. I like the Shaws...there's quite a few of their barrels out here, especially on Ultra Mags for some reason. And if my 70 didn't already have a decent stock (HS Precision), I'd go the same route you did. I like thumbhole stocks.

I'll see if I can get a pic of my baby up. (Not the best at this confuser thing...)

2010vaca258a.jpg

Welcome,

I'm a by proxy Winchester guy and have driven my 308 HBV into the ground to fairly good effect. You have a fine rifle. I've logged a bit more than 9K rounds through the factory tube and sadly she is starting to wander a bit, showing her age. I'm saving my pennies to re tube her now as my other Winnys (30-06 and 300WSM) are a bit expensive to feed on a regular basis and have switched to .22's to maintain the finger.

Roll some 175's w/ your Varget as they perform nicely another winner is the 178 AMAX. I had just begun testing on 208 AMAX's and 210 Bergers via RE-17 when the tube gave up the ghost.

Cheers,

Doc

Thanks for the heads-up, doc. I've had good results from Hornady bullets in the past, so I may try the A-Max if I find a need for a more streamlined projectile.

Welcome, Noah. I too am new, and shoot an M70(Super Shadow 300WSM). Am in the process of accurizing it a bit(trying to get sub-MOA), have already received some good helpful info from the folks on the site.
Guard Dog, SWEET stick, I was looking at that stock on Stocky's, and considering the wood route as well.
I agree doc, these 300WSM's are hard on the bill fold, so my .22 gets alot more trigger time too.

Winchechester guy here too: Even though our ranges have the alt. I find that my guns still dont like 168s. My (target) winchesters are "home made". I put together a Vietnam era sniper rifle in '06, I have better luck with it w/175s then I do the 168s. Of course all guns are differant and have differant likes, mine just likes to 175 SMKs. My 300 WM Model 70 likes the 200 grn SMKs, I've tried just about everything I can get my hands on but still come back to the 200 SMKs.

Dont know what part of Wyoming you are in, but the Lander/Worland/Cody guys are heavy in to long range target shooting. All have some excellant ranges but Lander had gongs out to 1400 if you really want to try your rifles.

I live in the NE part of the state, its a pain to head over the mountains but its worth it to shoot with those guys.

I'm up Sheridan way. My wife and I are Cowboy Action Shooters, and have competed all over the state, so we may know some of the fellas from over that way. It seems like a lot of folks like to have their hands in more than one shooting discipline, y'know?

I have an order in for some 175 BTHPs, 178 A-Max's and some 190 BTHP (not VLDs, so I hope they'll work with my twist). After reading up, I suspect I'll need the extra length once I get past 600-700 yards. But I'm not upset...my 168 load will work fine for practice when I can't get to a range that goes out farther or when calling song dogs in.