• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody built a 264 Win Mag?

justpete

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2006
Garland, TX
Got a Rem700 LA looking bored in the safe, thought this might be an interesting build instead of a 7mm Rem Mag.

Thinking a 28" finished length Rock 5R with a 1:9 twist might work - yields acceptable Sg with a 140gn Berger LR BT at 3000fps from sea level to 6Kft DA.

Anybody?

TIA, Pete

Re: Anybody built a 264 Win Mag?

Used to have a 26", 3-land, 9-twist, stainless #7 profile Pacnor supermatch that was a tackdriver with 120 grn sierras bullets @ around the 3200 fps vel.
.264 WM get hot pretty quick so I never ran any strings of fire more than 5 rounds. I put about 800-900 rounds down it and then another friend of mine got it and did a set-back and put it in another build. Hear it still doing pretty nice groups.
I Really liked the .264 WM. If I did another one. I would do the hBn or moly bullet lube to give it some possible longer life as every little bit will help it out if your going to push it hard.. Ended-up going back to the good old .300 WM in the end though. but still liked the 264 a lot & that thing was a badass 6.5 round and Fun.

Re: Anybody built a 264 Win Mag?

I have been shooting the 264 win mag for about 20 years now. I LOVE the round. It is hard on barrels but to put things in perspective, its really no harder than most other fast movers in a magnum case...

I really never have used it for bench rest or tactical type stuff. I have other 6.5 rounds for that.

I just built a brand new one on a donor action with a new Kreiger 1-8 barrel. Waiting on my Manners stock right now to finish her up with.