• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody cut down their CZ 452

lonely_wolf

Woof.
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2009
Up North
I was planning on cutting down a CZ 452 to 18" to better replicate my primary rifle. I didn't think much of it, but I've since been told they are 'choked.' After some searching on the internet I've learned that no one actually agrees if they are choked or not.

So has anyone cut down the factory barrel and noticed any negative issues?

Any reputable gunsmith will have an air gauge for measuring bore wear.
When you take it in to have it shortened, have him check for taper first.

Might not be relevant, but I cut a Marlin 25N to 18" and it shoots a tad better. Not sure if it was the new crown or what, but have you called CZ to find out about the 'choke' reports from them?

I recently got chewed out over at Rimfirecentral for saying that the 452s were not choked. After that I decided to do some searching online to find that no one had this type of experience. Plus I have seen tons here on the hide that have been cut back with no issues! However like the above post one call to CZ might be the best way to find out!

Ben

RFC... You speak of the devil Ben! :D

Exactly where I discovered 'choked' barrels and controversy. Apparently CZ has been contacted and even quoted in one of the threads over there. CZ states 'No choke,' but to muddy the waters, the UK CZ distributor has also been quoted as saying, "Never cut a CZ barrel due to choke." After searching the archives of this matter on RFC my head was about to explode so I wandered over to this end of the internet for some more reasonable discussion.

I've never heard of choked barrels before (other than SG's!)... but you don't know what you don't know(!)(?) :)

I know, there is alot of useful information on that site, but those guys are VERY opinionated!(Which is sometimes alright) And if they don't like something they will let you know!

I think some of the higher end companies such a the Annies may have choked barrel, and it is certainly possible that CZ could be, but if the company is saying that they aren't and seeing all of the people that have done it I don't think they would be! There are several here on the Hide I have seen over the years! If you decide to call CZ then please share your findings with us!

Ben

Anybody cut down their CZ 452

My cz455 pt barrel was choked. You can slug the barrel and you will feel if it is choked or not. Just pull a .22 slug out of a loaded round, use a bore guide, use a cleaning rod to push it through the bore and if it is choked you will feel it get tight just before the slug pushes through the crown.

FWIW, the Lilja barrels for the 455 are tapered, not choked according to Dan Lilja.

--Daniel

So is potentially removing 'choke' really that bad? I mean none of the center fire barrels are choked (that I am aware of).

I chopped my cz 453 .17hmr barrel down to 16", and re crowned with hand tools from brownells. Shoots as good as before (great), handles better, and looks damn cool. No regrets here :).

Centerfire and rimfire are two different ball games. I don't know how much cutting the choke out will affect it. I didn't cut mine off. There are so many variables with rimfire that it would be difficult to tell how much change there was unless you have it shooting at its peak before chopping the barrel. Keep in mind that it will change harmonics as well.

--Daniel

Reply from CZ:

RE: Are CZ barrels chocked?
To: [xxx]

[xxx],

While our barrels are tighter than most manufacturers’ .22s, there is no ‘choking’ aspect to them. You should be fine cutting it off shorter, just keep in mind that the crown is very important for accuracy, so that needs to be cut precisely.

Thanks!

[xxx/ CZ Rep]
800 955 4486
fax: 913 321 2251
CZ-USA

To: info [[email protected]]
Subject: Are CZ barrels chocked?

Good evening,

I would like to cut my CZ 452 .22LR American barrel shorter so it more closely resembles the size of my primary rifle. People are telling me not too as it will ruin accuracy due to the 'choke' in the barrel.

Are CZ barrels choked?

Thank you,

[xxx]

This agrees with the other response from CZ posted on RFC in an old thread. I will be cutting my barrel.

Slugging the barrel is very cheap and easy. Replacing a barrel on a 452 is not.

I'm not saying that the guy at cz is wrong in every case, but regardless of what he said mine has a definite choke point.

--Daniel

I'd be hesitant to cut mine just because it shoots so damn well as is!

HRF

That might be so with the 452's. that is absolutely not the case with my factory 455 barrel.

--Daniel

i purchased a varmint taper barrel kit for my 455 american to go with my manners stock. i cut it down to 18" and threaded so it would save me a a couple of inches when i shoot it with a can. FYI, CZ says their barrels are 21" inches but that includes the chamber as well. its shorter to the front of the action. something to keep in mind when doing the measuring and trying to cut down.

for the record, my CZ 455 shoots really great after losing 2 inches off the end. also looks pretty nice in the manners stock.

This has been talked about in the UK gun forums , and most shorten them down to around 12 inches for silencer use , a few gunsmiths have said they have shortened hundreds of them down to 12 inches , and all have been just as accurate , after the chop .

So I would have no problems cutting one down , in fact just had a Biathlon Basic & a EM-332 chopped down to 12 inches or less .

Later Chris