• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anybody disassemble a Ruger MK II/III, 22/45 main/hammer spring housing?

Waorani

Crusty Caballero
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Greenbow, AL
MK III locked up when I tried to pull the main/hammer spring (part you unlock on back of grip and pull out to remove bolt & upper). Instead of searching for a solution I absentmindedly knocked the pin out of the housing and disassembled it. Problem now is getting it back together so real question is has anyone ever reassembled one? Found a few references to a tool/jig Brownells used to sell but looks like long discontinued.

Nope. I cant see it being a huge issue to insert the pin and flare it with a pin punch or whatever.

I've looked for videos. Problem is getting the spring/ball bearing compressed into the housing so the lever can be positioned and pin inserted.

And I know I can buy a new mainspring or Volquartsen replacement but this is from a cerakoted Amphibian so I'd like to get the original back together. Should have thought about it before I did it but I didn't.

MK III locked up when I tried to pull the main/hammer spring (part you unlock on back of grip and pull out to remove bolt & upper). Instead of searching for a solution I absentmindedly knocked the pin out of the housing and disassembled it. Problem now is getting it back together so real question is has anyone ever reassembled one? Found a few references to a tool/jig Brownells used to sell but looks like long discontinued.
I would keep digging on utube,, I am pretty sure a while back,, that’s how I did one,,,

Couple videos on fixing the locked mainspring issue and getting it out but couldn't find anything on putting a disassembled unit back together. Just to be sure, this is what I'm talking about. There's a plunger, heavy spring & ball bearing inside.
p_930000135_2.jpg

Jig Brownells used to sell.

Attachments

• Inst-517.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 91
I would keep digging on utube,, I am pretty sure a while back,, that’s how I did one,,,
The spring you unlock is hard to disassemble,, but I used a paper clip and needle nose pliers to “ unlock” the spring,,, going back together with the spring is an “ upside down “move,,, I do not have the pistol here at the house,, daughter using it,, but I am sure I found the instructions or the destructions on line,,,,getting late, if I can find the info I will post in the a m…

Thanks, but I don't think you're understanding. I know how to take down/reassemble the pistol. It's the mainspring assembly itself that I stupidly took apart.

Thanks, but I don't think you're understanding. I know how to take down/reassemble the pistol. It's the mainspring assembly itself that I stupidly took apart.
Ok, copy,, let me check in a m,,pretty sure I had that apart, now that I have seen the part…

Sorry, should have taken the time to get a pic to begin with. I'm usually pretty good at figuring this kind of stuff out but this one has me stumped. At least I haven't lost the ball yet after multiple launches.

IMG_1521.jpg

They are a pain. I use a puch the size of the pin with a rounded tip to help out. I get the spring and ball in with a punch holding it in place.

Put the housing in a padded vise and pull the punch out a little bit while pushing the lever into place. Use the punch to align the lever and lock it in place. Last step is working the pin in from the other side without launching anything into your eye ball. It is a pain, as stated. Expect parts to fly before you get it to work.

Reactions: Charlie112
They are a pain. I use a puch the size of the pin with a rounded tip to help out. I get the spring and ball in with a punch holding it in place.

Put the housing in a padded vise and pull the punch out a little bit while pushing the lever into place. Use the punch to align the lever and lock it in place. Last step is working the pin in from the other side without launching anything into your eye ball. It is a pain, as stated. Expect parts to fly before you get it to work.

Thanks, I understand the concept but it's the "get the spring and ball in" part I'm having problems with. I did find something that talked about doing it inside a plastic bag to capture flying parts but not sure how workable that actually is. Also saw suggestion to drill small hole in housing for pin to capture spring/ball then drive out when lever installed. That could be a last resort but still requires getting the "spring and ball" in. I'll get it eventually but just wish the jig was still available.

Volquartsen has a replacement assembly for about $70 and you may find a used OEM one on ebay for less. Probably cheaper than the jig cost.

You can use a smaller roll pin starter punch to compress the spring with the ball on top. The cupped end makes it less likely for the ball to fly off into oblivion. Then you push the punch out of the way with the lever, and have to hold it compressed long enough to start the pin or a different punch through the hole.

You can use a smaller roll pin starter punch to compress the spring with the ball on top. The cupped end makes it less likely for the ball to fly off into oblivion. Then you push the punch out of the way with the lever, and have to hold it compressed long enough to start the pin or a different punch through the hole.
Hey.. any progress on your assembly project… just curious…

Hey.. any progress on your assembly project… just curious…
No, on back burner for now. Found a spare mainspring assembly I forgot I had so at least it's functional. This all started because I wanted to put a Volquartsen reduced power recoil spring in to try to get it to cycle w/ subs. Worked fine on older Pac-Lite upper but this gun is still pretty new so may need more rounds through it.

No, on back burner for now. Found a spare mainspring assembly I forgot I had so at least it's functional. This all started because I wanted to put a Volquartsen reduced power recoil spring in to try to get it to cycle w/ subs. Worked fine on older Pac-Lite upper but this gun is still pretty new so may need more rounds through it.
Copy

I have a 6" paclite upper on a stock MSH, and shoots cci std perfectly. The cci quiets (710fps) give issues, but anything 980-1065fps works good.

Reactions: Waorani