• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Anybody ever modified a Rem 700 SA stock into a LA?

68bthp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
TX
Has anybody out there ever gutted out their wood short action stock to convert it to a long action?

This is a sample photo of the kind of 40x style stock that I bought for $60 shipped on GunBroker some years ago. But it is really beat to heck with a chopped butt stock. I like the heft and wide flat bottom of this stock for stability, and I plan to use autobody glass and paint to transform it back into a thing of beauty for my .284 project. I've placed this SA 40X stock right next to a LA 700 HS stock to see how the cut-outs line up, and I can't see why it shouldn't work if I gut out the stock. This 40X SA stock is still 1" longer in overall length then the HS Long Action stock too....so no loss of forearm grip area.

It looks to me like the new screw hole location is going to be practically touching the existing SA recoil lug slot. And of course I will have to move up the location of the LA recoil slot too, and just fill in the old SA recoil slot with Devcon. I'm not too worried about gutting out all the wood and causing structural weakness, as there seems to be plenty of hard wood left over, and I intend to fill in and glass everything with Decon 10110.

So, it looks feasible to me, but would like to hear if somebody out there has done it.

Its not something I would try to do, but if you do One thing I would think about doing is just building an aluminum or steel spacer for the recoil lug. That way you have a nice solid base for it. Would also simplify things some I would think. Just Devcon the piss out of it, bed your action and the face of said block, drill hole for the action screw and you;d be set. The block would also act as a pillar, potentially. But I have never seen the inside of a 40x stock so this might all be for naught. But its worth a shot I suppose.

I think it's a cool modification, thinking outside the box. Maybe consider a cross bolt to support the recoil lug. It would add structural support to the devcon.

As said above, post pics of the process!