• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody ever modify the B&C tactical stock? <DONE!

mr.rhtuner

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2008
London, ontario
Hey everybody.

I've been going to the range ever since I finished my rifle and I've been very satisfied with the Bell & Carlson Tactical stock except for the foregrip part being too 'boxish' and thick.

Has anybody tried to sand down/curve the foregrip to fit the hand much nicer?

Is this possible to do? I don't have my rifle apart at this moment to look inside but I don't know if it's just fiberglass that I could safely remove a bit or if there is a 'frame' under there.

Any ideas?

here is the part for those visual guys like me haha :p
1023_143429-1.jpg

And this is a McMillan stock, just to give an idea on what I would like to shape the foregrip as.
GAP223LT.jpg

Thanks!
bart

Re: Anybody ever modify the B&C tactical stock??

There was a thread where a guy did that and it looked good. I couldnt tell you how well it functioned. I will see if I can find it.

You will probably find that if you go very deep, you will go thru the thin fiberglas cloth skin, and be in the softer "foam" construction of the stock. You would then have to apply a new fiberglass skin, as the foam is not very structural.

Could mess it up pretty bad!

You are just about to find out that in life ....you get what you pay for.....

+1 BigBore56

mrhunter........junk that pos and get a real rifle stock the way you want it...

Well on 3 forums that I posted this, I'm getting similar response's

And yes I expected this to be the answer but was hoping by some miracle it would be possible haha.

Well right now I can't afford a McMillan stock since I have to buy from Canadian gun shops and they charge 900+ for certain mcmillan stocks so I'll have to wait until I'm done all my training with the army.

I guess for now it will work but I don't plan to keep it on once more disposable income starts coming in.

Thanks guys!

Yah, I have and love it I will see if I can take some pics of it right now. I don't know why everyone is saying that these stocks are pieces of crap. Obviously you so get what you pay for but, for just a couple hundred bucks you get 3 studs solid alum bedding block good recoil pad..... Not just for the money is it a good stock. Will post pics soon.

OK here are some pics.
you can see on the bottom of the front the fiberglass part of the stock showing through, It looks porous. The stock has a plastic like abs or something on the out side to protect you from the fiberglass and make it smother. When you sand this off(it is thicker in some places than others) you will get fiberglass dust all over the place if you are not careful.
goodfrontleft.jpg

goodfrontright.jpg

goodrearleft.jpg

goodrearright.jpg

This was my first texturing job so the texture doesn't look the best but you get the picture.

RHTUNER,I replaced a rear sling swivel stud that was stripped out in a B&C tactical stock a few months ago.

Trust me when I tell you that you will not like what you find under the fiberglass skin.

I also have the light tactical model on a SPS tactical in .223 and the fore-end is much smaller.

If you want to get away from the wide fore-end, might want to consider selling the tactical and buy the light version.

I think this thing spends almost as much time out of the safe as in. I have had it for roughly 9 months and have about 2000 rounds down the tube already. Thanks mostly to a big bonus from work which I spent all on 168gr smks and varget. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ares</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Write to www.jwprecision.ca/ and the price of McMillan A5 will not be as high as you think
wink.gif
</div></div>

I will email JWprecision and ask them, but as I mentioned...these stupid laws between Canada and the US make it expensive and hard to get good parts up here without paying out the ass lol.

But I'll give them a shout!
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this thing spends almost as much time out of the safe as in. I have had it for roughly 9 months and have about 2000 rounds down the tube already. Thanks mostly to a big bonus from work which I spent all on 168gr smks and varget. lol</div></div>

Thanks .308!

Was there any difference before and after the mod on the foregrip?

How did you remove most of the part? just sand it down evenly?

I did mine the same way 308 did his and went back over it with Marine Tex for a texture look.I used a orbital sander and started with 40 grit,120 and worked my way up until it was smooth.

Make sure you wear a dust mask when sanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did mine the same way 308 did his and went back over it with Marine Tex for a texture look.I used a orbital sander and started with 40 grit,120 and worked my way up until it was smooth.

Make sure you wear a dust mask when sanding. </div></div>

That's interesting man.

Did you notice any difference in shooting before and after? does the stock still feel rigid?

also, when you did this, did you re-enforce anything inside the stock?

Thanks!!!
bart

The B&C (if it is a Medalist) has the full-length aluminum block. You can sand/contour the forearm down with a little work. Take your time and don't get in a hurry. A good idea is to use a belt sander (bench model, not a hand-held) and slowly work the fore-arm down until it is slightly oversize. That'l get you close and insure that everything is even the length of stock. As I said, if it is a Medalist, the internal block should give you plenty of rigidity in the fore-end after contouring it down. As was also stated, a good texture job with Marine-Tex will round out the project.

As said above the stock has a full alum bedding block so no, there is no rigidity lost in the process. There is no real modification that would make the gun shoot differently so it of course shoots the same. The only real difference is that people don't look at it and say "oh that's one of those B&C stocks". Not that it's a bad thing just didn't like that. I did the whole thing with a Dewalt orbital sander and 60 grit. The stuff comes off fast. I wouldn't use a belt sander.

I sent B&C an email about the "tactical stock" with the vertical grip. I just got one for a friend. For stiffness it is not bad.
Just as good as any HS Precision. But that forearm....damn that
squared off crap might be ok on the bench but that's about it.
Put a 3/4 inch radius on forearm bottom edges, another radius
at the top, remove another 3/16 from palm area of the grip and
you would have a stock that feels decent. Everyone needs to email B&C this. They might start making a decent stock for
a great price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da-Law-Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The B&C (if it is a Medalist) has the full-length aluminum block. You can sand/contour the forearm down with a little work. Take your time and don't get in a hurry. A good idea is to use a belt sander (bench model, not a hand-held) and slowly work the fore-arm down until it is slightly oversize. That'l get you close and insure that everything is even the length of stock. As I said, if it is a Medalist, the internal block should give you plenty of rigidity in the fore-end after contouring it down. As was also stated, a good texture job with Marine-Tex will round out the project.</div></div>

well it looks like I will be giving this a shot fairly soon, when I can find a bench sander/table sander.

I've posted this on SniperCentral and I think Mel(site owner) is going to give this a try aswell.

I purchaed the #2999 Stock for the Savage 10FP...so that will have the aluminum block correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunner75, a member here, works for B&C....just in case no one knew.</div></div>

Thats interesting. Hopefully he see's this thread and gives us his opinion!

Well I did find a manual sander, so I will possibly start on the stock job on Thursday and have it sanded down to what I want later in the day.

Just need to find a good DIY about applying the marine texture so it has a nice outcome.

Stay tuned!

Sorry for the delay guys, I got this done around 5pm but haven't been to my pc till just now.

Well everything went pretty smooth.

Only thing I found was a air pocket and I need to find a super strong product to fill in there to seal the hole so I can lay some fiber glass resin over on top and finish everything off nice.

Anybody know what product I could use to seal in the whole?
I'd like to be able to seal it on Monday so any suggestions, please let me know.

onto the pics.

0105_004156.jpg

0105_004122.jpg

0105_004115.jpg

0105_004057.jpg

0105_004047.jpg

0105_004022.jpg

0105_004010.jpg

And yes...the stock won't be so square. I am going to round off the edges so it fits the hand much nicer
Thanks
bart
smile.gif

Marine-Tex is your friend. Will fill up that crater plus the rest. Do it in two stages- repair, then go back and and fill + texture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCB6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marine-Tex is your friend. Will fill up that crater plus the rest. Do it in two stages- repair, then go back and and fill + texture. </div></div>

+1!!

Put your fill coat in first and get the crater squared away and let sit overnight. Afterwards, work your way up to the final coat, sand her down to the desired finish and then texture. If you haven't bought the Marine-Tex yet, go to a local marine repair shop and get the 14 oz. container, should run about $40.00. That'll give you enough material to finish the job and get it textured with enough left over to bed the action. Keep us posted on the end results.

Devcon or Steelbed will also work for filling in the void. You can skim bed the stock while you are at it! I used Steel Bed to skim my B&C stock,and it stuk to the alum block like white on rice, just remember to degrease it before you apply the bedding compound.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
I've been searching epoxies and what to get.

Here is my problem.

Marine-tex...closes I can get it is 1hour 30 min away in Toronto...but I don't have a car haha
frown.gif

Devcon - they have a bunch of distributors in my city, but nobody caries their product

Steelbed - Can't find anybody to carry it in my city.

soo...

after calling PCEpoxy, I was comparing PC-11 and PC-7 and in the specs, it seems like PC-7 can take a lot more abuse and is more solid then PC-11.

Just look at it yourself, what do you guys think?

http://www.pcepoxy.com/pastepoxies/pastepc7.asp

http://www.pcepoxy.com/pastepoxies/pastepc11.asp

Thanks
bart

bondo is not structural, I would avoid that. a body filler glaze might work ok as a top coat, but i'd just do textured marine tex or devcon instead.

if you can't find what you need, order it from brownells, they'll get it right out to you.

Well after doing some reading, PC-7 seems to be stronger then PC-11 so I got it and started.

0105_220309.jpg

0105_210722.jpg

0105_210709.jpg

0105_210651.jpg

0105_210632.jpg

Now let it dry for a day or two, then sand it smooth
smile.gif

I'm glad I found this tonight. I started sanding the fore-end on my stock (B&C Tactical/Varmint) because I am sick and tired of my bipod twisting. I figure if I give it a rounded profile it should stay put. I have the rail under the forearm so I have to be a little careful to maintain that channel in its current configuration.

.308er, how did the Marine-Tex hold the paint? Did you have to prime it? Krylon or something else? Will the texture have a little give like a rubberized bedliner or is it hard like Line-X? Thanks in advance for your help and I'll post some pictures when I get it finished.

You'll want to radius the bottom edges of the stock. The texture will give you a bit of a radius, but not enough to make it comfortable off-hand.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'll want to radius the bottom edges of the stock. The texture will give you a bit of a radius, but not enough to make it comfortable off-hand.

-matt </div></div>

I'm already ahead of you :p

pics will be up in a few hours

Wallyworld carries Bondo in the Automotive Department, right there with the touch up paints, etc.

I have used the version that includes glass fibers for number of projects including restoring an old canoe with several holes, and think it's a pretty good all-around filler and/or molding resin product.

Once the holes are repaired with regular resin and glass cloth, I fill it in with the bondo and shape the repair with the orbital sander. The result is good enough to paint directly over, and the repairs are pretty much impossible to locate once the paint is cured.

There are more specialized products, but they can be expensive and difficult to acquire. The materials I used to repair and restore the canoe (Resin, catalyst, cloth, and bondo) came to about $25, and the results look as good as a professional job that was done by a Body Shop on one of the Troop Trek canoes we borrowed from a neighboring Scout troop and danged near demolished that same Summer.

The Body Shop donated the repair, but also claimed a charitable donation of about $400, which would have actually been a pretty reasonable charge.

Greg

Since there are some people fimilar with the B&C stocks on here. How is the rear sling stud held in place does it just screw in because I'd like to do this to mine and add a but hook like the A-5 on mine. Sorry to kinda change the subject. Also has anybody tried the tool to do role in bed liners to texture the stock. They work great for texturing the bed liners.

when I unscrewed mine last night, it looked like it is machine threads that uses a threaded hole in the aluminum skeleton to stay put. I was thinking the same thing, but now I don't know where to attach my sling.

The front studs are attached to the aluminum chassis.
The rear stud has a steal stud nut/boss molded into the stock.

So you would just have to glass it back in?
Thanks guys

Probably want to obtain a new one. Fastenal has 10/32 steel weld nuts that have a flange on them. Sandblast the flange and bed it in. Will hold great!

It will take me a while but I'm going to do it. I'll put pictures when I'm done. Wish I had the money for the real deal but 725 is way out of my price rang for my wallet

you can get a manners with the hook for about $460... and the painted, non-adjusting MCM is somewhere in that ballpark too. check it out with JW precision... sell yours and buy one of these before you take the saw to a good stock... a fore-end is not so big of surgery, but cutting up the buttstock is...

mr.rhtuner doesn't have a car... but he's got a good rifle! I like him already. hehehe

Can't wait to see a picture of the finished product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a fore-end is not so big of surgery, but cutting up the buttstock is... </div></div>

Yea, I was looking at how to make a buttstock hook but on the B&C tactical stock it's not worth it.

IMO the buttstock is too much on an angle to have a hook work, as opposed to some of the McMillans that do have the buttstock, it's not as 'angled' down, allowing for a perfect amount of material to be cut out for the hook.

I wanted to do the same but it's not worth cutting it up and making it weaker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mr.rhtuner doesn't have a car... but he's got a good rifle! I like him already. hehehe

Can't wait to see a picture of the finished product. </div></div>

haha, had a quick little civic but ran into engine problems and sold it. Moving to live on a military base soon so no need for a car just yet.

Sanded out the corners while waiting for the PC-7 to dry. Won't do anything for then next few days as I have to work but hopefully by friday/weekend I'll have the PC-7 sanded down smooth and be applying fiberglass resin.

Thanks
bart

0106_123840.jpg

0106_123851.jpg

0106_123826.jpg

looking MUCH better.

As far as the hook goes, SA owners are lucky you can get the B&C with the buthook if you want. Us LA guys are forced to spring for more expensive models... although I don't mind, since I can have it how I want it.

Well today I went and bought a palm sander so I could keep working on the rifle.

Got to my gf's apartment and started sanding down the PC-7 that I had on there to fill in air pockets.

The aftermath of the palm sander:
0116_172829.jpg

0116_172850.jpg

0116_173205.jpg

Then I washed it and let it dry. Next step was to put on a layer for fiberglass mat and resin to make it a bit more stronger and get it ready for the Marine-Tex texture job.

So here is the fiberglass on one side of the stock:
0116_185210.jpg

0116_202115.jpg

Then I did the other side and the bottom of the stock.
Yes it looks like shit, I don't like working with fiberglass and this is my second time in my life using it.

Everything will be sanded down perfectly smooth.

0116_202131.jpg

0116_202147.jpg

I'm going to start sanding down the fiberglass on Sunday, more pics to come

Did any of you have to modify the cheek peice at all? Mine seems high as the bolt can not be taken out while in the stock. The cocking piece in the bolt is hitting the top of the comb.

for those of you wondering there is a guy on snipercentral who did a hook on his B&C stock.

Would it have been possible to sand the forearm down further to make it a radius all the way around or would you have gone through the material?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for those of you wondering there is a guy on snipercentral who did a hook on his B&C stock.

Would it have been possible to sand the forearm down further to make it a radius all the way around or would you have gone through the material?</div></div>

With the amount that I have removed to give this a smooth and flat finish, I didn't want to remove more to make it a radial foregrip.

Also, with all the air pockets that I had come across...I didn't want to remove more material then needed to get this flat.

I'd hate to attempt to make it a radial forgrip, run into issues and be not able to add the material back on.

Well I did a lot of work on the stock today.
Used the palm sander and sanded down as much as I could to get a smooth and even surface/finish.

The stock will be half done on tuesday, then I will have to apply the Marine-tex for a nice texture and paint.
Here are some more pics.

I know that after sanding it down so much, the fiberglass resin has dips in it so I put on about 3 extra layers today in the span of 4 hours and will sand and re-shape again on tuesday.

I choose to put some more layers on the foregrip with FG resin, just to make it stronger and a retain the shape of how it should be.

More pics to come then!

0118_164534.jpg

0118_164547.jpg

0118_164554.jpg

0118_164614.jpg

0118_164627.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macktheweldor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I'm a bit confused,( it happens easily).
If you fill the sides with marine tex does that require cloth also?
The same for the bondo fill?
Thanks, Kevin </div></div>

Well I didn't it with Marine-tex, I used PC-7 to fill air pocket. No I didn't use a cloth/mat.

When creating the texture on the stock, you don't need a 'cloth' also. Just apply it and dab it once it starts getting a bit thick from what I understand.

hmmm you guys got me thinking of doing something to one of these stocks, but more like the prarie dpg special from stocade

If you want to fill the pockets use Upols Fiberall you should be able to buy it at an automotive paint store. Easy to mix has fiberglass strands in it already and mixes like bondo with a cream hardner. It also sands easy. We use it on fiberglass cars & parts. Its super strong. I added a hook to my B&C with it. I have no fear of it breaking. I have seen cars i repaired come back in another accident around the same area it has not cracked or split