• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody find a smoking load for DPMS .308?

RH4540

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Out of all of the factory stuff I've tried, Black Hills, 168 grain did the best, producing sub 2" groups at 200 yards, which was better than Federal 168.

The best handload I've come up with so far is Lapua 155 grain Scenars, with 46 grains of Varget, which will do 1/2" out of my bolt gun at 200 yards, but, is still over an inch out of my DPMS.

Thanks!!

Re: Anybody find a smoking load for DPMS .308?

My Father-in-Law's does well with 42gr. H4895, a 168 SMK and a 210-M.

175 SMK over 41gr of H4895 with a WLRP. Runs well out to 600yds.

hangunnr

178Amax
Win brass
Plano Fed 210
44.6 RL15
Load to mag length

Rem Brass
CCI BR2/Fed 210
43.9gr Varget
168gr SMK
2.805" OAL

Would hover in the .6s for me regularly.

Sounds like you don't have a bad load there, it's a gas gun. ~1/2 MOA is nothing to sneeze at, your group sizes are about half what you got with factory match ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you don't have a bad load there, it's a gas gun. ~1/2 MOA is nothing to sneeze at, your group sizes are about half what you got with factory match ammo. </div></div>

I know it's not bad, but, always chasing something better! LOL

My .223, gas guns do better, and was hoping that somebody ran across a magic load.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!