• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anybody handload for their DPMS SASS ......?

jkazak

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Iowa USA
I came across some Barnes TSX 200gr.FB and I am wanting to try it in my own SASS. As I haven't learned the skill of re-loading yet I was thinking I could send off some of these bullets to a fellow SASS owner to try and work up a load for them. Then perhaps you could load some up for me. I realize every rifle is different but at least I could barter for some loaded ammunition with these Barnes heavies.

Or if you have a recipe to share I could probably get some worked up locally.

Just a thought.

Amateur - I know, but it's where I am at right now.

Just a thought.

Re: Anybody handload for their DPMS SASS ......?

Mine likes a 175smk over 45.5gr Varget. THIS IS STIFF AND SHOULD BE WORKED UP TO!!!

Thanks guy - I guess your signature tag about practicing marksmenship really says it all.

Salute !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine likes a 175smk over 45.5gr Varget. THIS IS STIFF AND SHOULD BE WORKED UP TO!!!</div></div>

Holy SHIT!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine likes a 175smk over 45.5gr Varget. THIS IS STIFF AND SHOULD BE WORKED UP TO!!!</div></div>

Holy SHIT!!! </div></div>

+1 !

I shoot 168 gr AMAX's over 44.0g Varget and my rifle finds that plenty hot.

I shoot 208 AMAX's over 37.8gr of H4895 w/BR2 primers. Seated to mag length or 2.810 Could be a starting load for a lighter bullet

win brass, 43.5 varget, 178 amax at 2.78 COAL was awesome in mine. Another one that seems to work in everything I have is 44 varget and a 175SMk at 2.81.

44.3 of RE15 and a 175 work well in an AR10. The AR type gas guns are not like M1A's or Garands, they can take it.( well the M1/M1A recievers are very strong, but the op rods don't like the high port pressures so much. ) Alot of people say you can't load semi auto's like a bolt gun, but most of that is primal knowledge passed on from M1A or M1 shooters, and yeah, they have to be careful. An Ar10 or DPMS/KAC can be worked up for just like a bolt gun. Go slow and look for the warning signs, and you will be ok. You can add weight to the carrier or buffer or even use an adjustable gas block to slow the carrier speed down some, but your not going to bend a $275 op rod. Excessive carrier speed and accelerated wear are the only downside, but it can be adjusted for. No biggie. As an example the AMU shoots 185 bergers over 45.0 of Varget in AR10's with no ill effects. That is a smokin load for a 185. I have run 155's over 46.0 of H4895 with no issue, and 190's over 43.5 of RE15 with no issues either, but now I shoot them over 42.5 of LR surplus powder and its more accurate, and I will be working that load up some more as I was seeing the beginnings of another node around 44.0 or so before I deployed, and could get 190's to over 2600 fps accurately with it. But I know 42.5 works and I have not been shooting in a year, so thats what I loaded up for next weekend. Historically for me, the AR10 has started to show pressure signs right at where my M700 5R does, and the two both will shoot the same loads well, with the edge going to the 175's for the bolt gun, the 190's in the AR10.
Just follow the signs and work it up in your rifle just like any other load. If your loading for a Garand or M1A, definately stick to known loads and limits used for them, parts are pricey and scarce at times.

44.2gr Varget and a 175 SMK is a pretty standard accuracy load. Work up to it.

My buddy's rifle likes 43.6gr of Varget loaded under a 178gr amax at 2.856 OAL.

Shoots really well in his rifle.

42.2gr IMR 8208 w/ Nosler 168gr Custom Competition HPBT with a COAL of 2.80'' works well in mine.