• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anybody have a gap m40a1

jwb47

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2010
semo
the title says it all. after having 4 friends killed and one losing a leg on motorcycles all in the last year plus a previous crash of my own . I t-boned an old lady who run a stop sign and destroyed a harley davidson sporster I had put way to much money in I have decided to sell my bmw gs800 and would like to invest in that once in a life time rifle . I know my way around gas guns but the only bolt guns I have are a savage 22lr and a remington 700 chambered for 300 blackout. I would like something that was a precision rifle but also has ties to some history.
I have been on there web site drooling for a week now . so any experience would be appreciated .
thanks in advance jeff

Great rifle but some advice? Don't buy a rifle because of history. Do some research and find out what YOU want in the once in lifetime custom rifle. Might not be what is in the M40A1. You might spend money on things like a clip slot on the M40A1 that you will never use. Spend money on features you will use. Take some time. Figure what you will do with it and what features will help you do that the best and then purchase that from GAP.

thank you . do you own or have owned one?

Not an exact clone but one that was very close minus the clip slot. Never spent the money as have no use for it. I did end up seeing that while it was cool the set up wasn't what I needed and spent money to make it that way. This is why I am bringing this up as I am speaking from experience.

I have owned many GAP rifles though and they are all excellent. Just think about the rifle use and build it accordingly to get the most out of it. That's the big plus of a custom rifle. Built the way you want it. If not you might find out that you spent a lot of money for something that doesn't work which isn't a good thing.

Gents,

I own two GA Precision rifles, a AR-10 and a .338 Lapua. Both are spectacular rifles. My M40A1 is a clone right down to the clip slots, but unless you are using the clip slots for the USMC style mount they are worthless on a rifle and waste your money. Spend wisely and get what you need.
George Gardner's rifles are top notch and come highly recommended!

Wes Howe
Major, USMC (Ret.)

Be very careful on your decision. I built a Rock as a do it all rifle thinking it would be my one and only custom rifle...
But Atlas I'm waiting on delivery of my Hospitaller in a 6mm Creed in about a month or so and I'm about to order a Crusader for my significate other.....

Sometimes people ask me which GAP Rifle is my favorite and I always reply... My Next One......

So don't get all tied down on your one and only dream rifle. If you shoot a lot I bet you will have more than one after it is all done.

They all are simply works of Art...!!!!

I have one, an Eric Reid build. For me it was about nostalgia; I carried one for five years and it was about getting my old friend back. It shoots as it would be expected to shoot and is my one rifle that will never go away. But it's an M40A1, top of the line in the late 70's and there are far better options now. There's no bipod, has a fixed 10x scope and is .308 on top of it all. Your "adjustable" cheek piece is foam taped to the stock, your camouflage is Krylon, you have a basic crown with no threading for a brake or suppressor, you'll cuss that bolt release to no end when you're around sand, and your LOP is fixed as well. But even with all that, dammit I do love it so...

I also have a GAP Templar .260 in a Rock Solid chassis with a 3-20x S&B... Guess which one comes out when I want to make a long distance shot in the field?

Rob says it best, figure out what you want to do with it and then figure out what will get you there. The history of the A1 is cool, I love it too, but then again I'm an 8541.

ETA: I'll add that if you're looking at a milspec rifle from GAP, they're at a twelve month estimated wait time. Other customs range from 6-8 months. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ision-current-lead-times-10-29-13-update.html

Last edited: