• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody have a Remington SPS Varmint in 7mm-08?

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
I found one of these I might purchase and I was curious how they shoot. I would want to run 162 A-maxs. Do these rifle have the same long throat issue like the 308 rifles? If anybody has any expirience I would appreciate you comments.

Thanks
Bob

Re: Anybody have a Remington SPS Varmint in 7mm-08?

Dont have one, but sounds like a nice project to ream out to 7-08AI. I have been on the fence about my next chambering and that may be the avenue to a cheap shooter. Are those online, or at a big box store?

I have a Stainless/Synthetic 700 in 7mm08 from 1995 and it does not have a long or short throat, its just right, and it shoots the 162 AMAX very well. maybe the SPSs are the same? If anything it might have a short throat, try it and see.

I do not have one in the varmit model but I do have one in the xcr model and it is a great shooter/ deer rifle I would really like the 7-08 if I wasnt in love with my .257 roberts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elksniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anybody have a Remington SPS Varmint in 7mm-08? </div></div>

I'm guessing no.

According to their website, Remington doesn't offer the rifle in that caliber.

Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elksniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anybody have a Remington SPS Varmint in 7mm-08? </div></div>

I'm guessing no.

According to their website, Remington doesn't offer the rifle in that caliber.

Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint </div></div>

It was an uncatalogued special run.

I think it was Davidson's or Lipsey's that had a run of 7-08 Varmint SPS, a year or two back.

Gunbroker has them regularly, been thinking about it very hard...

I've got a Remington 700 in 7mm08, I tried the 162 A Max but found the polymer tip was getting hung on the front wall of the magazine. Could have probably solved with a slightly deeper seating, but am going to go with a lighter match round. Have head the slower velocity of the 7mm-08 is sometimes a better fit with one of the lighter SMK's.

That said, I really like the rifle. Can hunt almost anything and recoil is light so I can spend a lot of time at the range practicing. Just a bit more recoil than my .260.

If any of y'all decide to re barrel. I would be interested in the 7mm-08 varmint take off.

i've got one,shoot 3/4 MOA with 168 smk with his 26 " barrels,

cut it down to 20" and still shoot 3/4 MOA!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was an uncatalogued special run. </div></div>

Well crap. If I had known this, I probably would have looked for one of these instead when I bought my AAC-SD.

Oh well. Maybe when I rebarrel.

Bought the SPS Varmnt 7mm-08.
I will keep you posted on how it shoots when it arrives.