• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody here shoot an Encore?

Re: Anybody here shoot an Encore?

You may want to look at Graybeard Outdoors for more answers on this. Scroll down to the rifle section and look for TC Encore and Contender rifles.

I have not tried any rifle cartridge barrels but use a 209x50 muzzleloader when hunting deer at home. Everything Ive read suggests that Cartridge barrels can shoot anywhere from 3/4" to twice that. Ive stuck to handgun barrels when not using my set up as a muzzleloader and they seem to shoot much better than I can hold. I have a contender barrel 14" in 17 mach2 that will hold 3/4" at 100 when the wind conditions are stable.

hope this helps.

i used to be into encores and contenders. i had an encore pro hunter that i sent away to have a trigger job done, and free float the barrel with the hangar bar system. it was .204 ruger and i had a 17 hmr barrel. the .204 would not shoot under 1" no matter what. the 17 same way. i also hadf a 209x50 rifle barrel...not a pro hunter barrel just a regular encore 209x50. i tried 4 different types of projectiles and 3 different types of powders. plus countless combinations and could never get it sighted in at 100 yards. plus it was a pain in the butt to switch out barrels. it would be good if it was a tool-less barrel change but it is not. so needless to say i am out of the encore and contender business. if you are thinking about buying one i would not. a NEF handi rifle will outshoot an encore any day, and is cheaper.

I put a lot of money and time into a Encore Pro Hunter last year for a coyote rifle. Fun little gun...but it was not very accurate. Even with a $600 MGM custom .223 barrel and a $150+ trigger job (2 1/2 lbs)...it would never shoot under 1 1/2" at 100yrds. I know...fine for hunting...but since all my rifles I own shoot under MOA, its hard to accept anything else.

I ended up buying a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 and having the barrel chopped down to 16 1/2". This has been a yote busting,easy to pack all day, tack driving rifle.

Here is a pic of the Encore Pro Hunter with 17" MGM barrel...please ignore the MK 4 scope...had it laying around while waiting for the Bushnell scope I would use on it.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up buying a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 and having the barrel chopped down to 16 1/2". This has been a yote busting,easy to pack all day, tack driving rifle.
</div></div>
i'd like to see pics of that. i feel you on the encore though. did you sell it or just stash it in the safe? i ended up dumping mine just to get it out of my sight.

I sold the Encore. Here is my Tikka Lite in .243 with the chopped barrel...yes...those are five shot groups shot at 100yrds prone with bi-pod and rear bag.

Take care,Stan

If I were going to buy a new single-shot rifle I would probably go with a CVA Apex. It comes stock with a Bergara barrel.

A good friend of mine you likes to do a lot of long-range shooting has a couple of encores. He's an old coot who is very meticulous i.e. does a great deal of basic gunsmith tinkering and he handloads.

He said the recipe to get an Encore to shoot moa or sub-moa is:

1. Buy a custom barrel - he liked Bullberry
2. Have the standard hitch/pivot pin replaced with an over-sized one that provides a tighter fit for barrel to receiver
3. Send it off to have a trigger job - but he does them himself

I can't recall if he mentioned there is a way to bed the forearm or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i used to be into encores and contenders. i had an encore pro hunter that i sent away to have a trigger job done, and free float the barrel with the hangar bar system. it was .204 ruger and i had a 17 hmr barrel. the .204 would not shoot under 1" no matter what. the 17 same way. i also hadf a 209x50 rifle barrel...not a pro hunter barrel just a regular encore 209x50. i tried 4 different types of projectiles and 3 different types of powders. plus countless combinations and could never get it sighted in at 100 yards. plus it was a pain in the butt to switch out barrels. it would be good if it was a tool-less barrel change but it is not. so needless to say i am out of the encore and contender business. if you are thinking about buying one i would not. a NEF handi rifle will outshoot an encore any day, and is cheaper. </div></div>

I havent tried an NEF Handi rifle, but if it out shoots the TC Encores I have seen, it would be a hell of a shooter. I have a buddy in TN with a Pro Hunter in some short action deer caliber. Cant recall which, but it was a shooting SOB. Sub moa was not difficult.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/ Check out this web site for some tips on Headspacing for the Encore.

There seems to be alot of debate over the O/S hinge pin, personally I have not tried one, but decided that it was not worth it anyway.

I had a .22-250 rifle barrel that I was far from impressed with and traded it for a 7.62x39 pistol barrel, it's alot more fun.

My pistol barrels shoot pretty good (for a pistol). My opinion on the rifle barrels is that if you can get 1 MOA you are doing good. If you get one that is sub-MOA you have an anomolly and you should hang on to it.

The link has directions for DIY trigger work, I cleaned up the contact points on mine just last week, it made a big difference in how the trigger feels. Later I bent (weakened) the trigger spring just alittle and it has lightened the pull alittle further.

Sorry I can't comment directly on the calibers you asked about.

I have a Pro Hunter. Let me see to date...its taken a 25" spread mulie at 225 yards, 15" antelope at 418 yards, and a cow elk at 225 yards. My factory 25-06 barrel would should under and inch (took the mulie an antelope) and my Bergara barrel in 30-06 took the elk. The Bergara barrel just tosses Noserl 200 gr ABs into a ragged hole group at a 100. I can't complain about my Encore.....perhaps others aren't as lucky.

Got a 22-250 in the 28" prohunter barrel. With handloads it will shoot .5-.75 at 100 yards.

Ive got a 3.5" 20ga slug barrel coming from Bullberry that ought to hurt the shoulder! It will shoot the Hastings 3.5" 20ga slugs. Ouch

This 10 shot 100 yard group was shot with an Encore (from bags):
DSCN1201.jpg

Bullberry 20" "full bull" 1 in 8 tw Douglas CM, with a Springfield Armory scope....

I bought Bellm springs and did my own trigger job using his instructions.

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here is my Tikka Lite in .243 with the chopped barrel...yes...those are five shot groups shot at 100yrds prone with bi-pod and rear bag.

Take care,Stan

</div></div>

Who made that stock pack on your Tika? Never saw one like it before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p620346</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here is my Tikka Lite in .243 with the chopped barrel...yes...those are five shot groups shot at 100yrds prone with bi-pod and rear bag.

Take care,Stan</div></div>

Who made that stock pack on your Tika? Never saw one like it before. </div></div>

That is a Thompson Center ammo holder. About $30.00 off the TC site.

Take care,Stan

i've spent a ton of time accurizing my encore. bellms 2 1/2 pound trigger kit and an over sized hinge pin helped the most of all the things i've done. bellm has all the goodies and directions for installing them. the trigger and hinge pin are well worth the $50 and half hour to install them.

I have had really good luck with the smaller caliber .204 but for some reason the bigger .308 or 6.8spc didn't shoot well at all. I still have the encore with the original .204 barrel on it but sold the rest. I have heard lots of diff. idea's on ways to handle them to make them shoot consitently better. All I do know is the .204 with the 32 v-max whacked a crow DRT at 535 yards : ) so it's a keeper.

JamieD
Big Bad Wolf Productions
Wolf Precision

my .243 is stock, i did put a pro hunter stock on it and a bipod, but the barrel is the plain sporter barrel. shot 3 shot group at 100yds, .425 inch.... berger bullet.
smile.gif

I had a .308 Lazzerroni Patriot 26" barrel for mine at one time made by VirginValley. It was a pretty accurate gun and shot in the .7" range. I only have a short 45/70 for the frame now for bear hunting but the platform with a good trigger job and barrel can be pretty accurate.

I have a few Contenders and one Encore.The encore I have a muzzle loader barrel and a few pistol barrels.I have read to many horror stories so I never got a rifle barrel for it and on the 209x50 I shoot open sights and it shoots good enough for that.The contenders I have seem to me to be more accurate.And I have a few pistol and couple of rifle barrels for it (22LR match and a 22 Hornet).The old match rifle barrels are tack drivers if you can find one.The hornet I haven`t played enough with to tell yet.I hate to say it but when TC started the encore craze I think they went from quality to quantity!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a NEF handi rifle will outshoot an encore any day, and is cheaper. </div></div>
I'm going to have to disagree, at least in my experience. I have an Encore with a 300wm, 375H&H, and a 14/221 barrel. All but the 14/221 barrel are factory made by T/C. My 300 shoots 3/4"@100 with 180 Nosler BT's. The 375H&H shoots 1 inch to 300yards with a 235gr Barnes TSX. My 14/221 was chambered by On Target Technologies shoots 3/8" @100. These results are not typical, I had to weed out a few poorly chambered factory barrels that shot about 2-3 inches. A few of my friends shoot NEF's at about 1 1/2" with hand loads. Another friend of mine shoots Encore and Contender pistols and many times outshoots my precision bolt guns. He has a 375JDJ with a 12" barrel that shoots .2's all the time. It is amazing.

b4w3fl.jpg

This is my 375H&H heavy barrel at 20". It weighs around 7lbs and carries like a 16" barrel due to how far back the barrel sits in the receiver. It is devastating on big game. This is my shorter range walking/ brush carbine. Got a lot better accuracy when I started using the Stratton hanger bars to float the forend. It's off to SGT ROSS for cerakote service.

I've got a 16.5" 308 barrel from Bullberry (Kreiger blank) and it will shot 1/2 moa with hand loads and shoots just about all factory ammo under 3/4"
Its my "go to" deer gun short light and accurate topped with a good 4x scope its hard to beat.

Only trouble now is my daughter thinks she needs it

I have an Encore with a SS 308 bull bbl that shoots 1.5"@100yds with FGMM 168s
I also have a H&R Ultra in 308 that shoots 4+"@100 with the same ammo.
I have tried every trick suggested on Graybeard on the Ultra and can't get it to shoot.
I do have a Contender 223 with 23" bull bbl that is a 1/2 MOA
rifle with my handloads.
Coach

Go Bullberry! I have two barrels by them, 6mmBR and 260 rem.The 6BR will shoot 5 shot groups in the high .2's with 90gr berger bthp, 30grs of H4895 and FGMM primers in lapua brass. I have several pics in the hunting sections thread (pics to get ya fired up) last page I think. The gun is covered in some redneck camo right now for coyotes. My 260 is shooting the Berger 140gr VLD hunting bullets in about .5 to .75 groups at 100 yards. Both barrels shoot extremely well. I oredered the whole gun from Bullberry about five years ago. I had them set the trigger at a 1 pound ( I like em light). I know these are not the calibers you had asked about but the Encore is a very accurate gun when it is built right.

I hope this helps,

Loren

my encore bergara barrel 243 shot 5@ .5-.75 bargara 308 shot about the same .mgm 6 br shot 5@ .3-.5 mgm custom 308 shot [email protected] factory conender rifle and pistol barrels in 17 m2 shot 5@ .75-1.25 been pretty happy with all the t/c products ive owned .

That's a slick setup!

I put a lot of money and time into a Encore Pro Hunter last year for a coyote rifle. Fun little gun...but it was not very accurate. Even with a $600 MGM custom .223 barrel and a $150+ trigger job (2 1/2 lbs)...it would never shoot under 1 1/2" at 100yrds. I know...fine for hunting...but since all my rifles I own shoot under MOA, its hard to accept anything else.

I ended up buying a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 and having the barrel chopped down to 16 1/2". This has been a yote busting,easy to pack all day, tack driving rifle.

Here is a pic of the Encore Pro Hunter with 17" MGM barrel...please ignore the MK 4 scope...had it laying around while waiting for the Bushnell scope I would use on it.

Take care,Stan

I hunt with an encore. Most of the time it is set up as a 209x.50. With blackthorn and sabots I can get 3 bullets to touch at 75 yards. With my 6.5x47 eabco barrel on it gets around an inch at 100. I use an aftermarket hinge pin with locking screw.

I had a Pro Hunter in 308 and the accuracy was miserable. 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards with Federal Premium ammunition. Sold it and bought an LTR and it shoots the same load into 3/8 MOA or less all day.

I bought a handy rifle for my daughter in .223 and it shoots better than the rifle I compete with.

Last edited: