• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody into wood burning furnaces? Looking for recommendations

Sniperwannabee

CWO
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Changes every 4 years
    My Elf wood burning furnace is over 40 yrs old and still works but it’s falling apart . I love it because it has an electric heater inside in case you run out of wood etc. but I’m not sure if they make combo units like that anymore . Does anyone have any recommendations and since all the electrical and duct work is there it seems like it wood be easy to install myself but never done it. Any advice wood be welcome , thanks
    IMG_0184.jpeg

Last edited:
    My Elf wood burning furnace is over 40 yrs old and still works but it’s falling apart . I love it because it has an electric heater inside in case you run out of wood etc. but I’m not sure if they make combo units like that anymore . Does anyone have any recommendations and since all the electrical and duct work is there it seems like it wood be easy to install myself but never done it. Any advice wood be welcome , thanks
    Is it an outside furnace o one in your home.

I grew up heating with wood. Today its nice for an accent but give me the reassuring "Whoooof" of my gas heater coming on.

Had one of these in a house I build in Northern Idaho in 1997; wish I still had it, I would have been better off keeping that house on a mountain east of Coeur d’Alene than keeping my wife of that time…… I digress. The thing was awesome and I remember my electrical bills being $35 a month in the winter.

Had one of these in a house I build in Northern Idaho in 1997; wish I still had it, I would have been better off keeping that house on a mountain east of Coeur d’Alene than keeping my wife of that time…… I digress. The thing was awesome and I remember my electrical bills being $35 a month in the winter.

Yukon appears to have have closed their doors.

• Angry
    Reactions: KYAggie
    What is breaking? Maybe you can have someone weld you up a new firebox and door or fix the one you have come spring?

Reactions: Maggot
    Yukon appears to have have closed their doors.

Figures, it’s was a great product. Why people can’t see the benefits from having a dual fuel wood/electric/gas backup is beyond me. It’s likely also because of difficulties in having them installed as most HVAC people wouldn’t touch them because they “didn’t have certification for installing a wood burning furnace”. There’s probably not even a certification for that. I couldn’t find anyone who would install it in north Idaho, but I’m not deterred by such nonsense. I found a place that would manufacture duct work if I brought them dimensions of what I needed. Cool. I drew out what I needed on engineering paper and they made the ductwork for me. Then I had a friend from church who worked installing commercial ductwork come out with his tools and we installed the ductwork in a few hours. He thought it was a great system. I burned about 7 cords a winter heating that 3900 sf home; 75% grand fur and 25% tamarack. I stuffed the firebox full of tamarack at night before bed and there were always coals to start the fire in the morning. I miss that place. I wish it showed a picture of tge furnace, but it doesn’t.

Dang, look, I found a photo of my X monster wife and I clearing the land for that house in the summer of 1997. I had $270,000 in the place and property at the time. Like I said, when she said in 2004, “I’m moving off the mountain and you can keep the house or me”, I should have clearly said don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out……

I chose poorly.

IMG_3267.jpeg

• Angry
    Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    Dang, look, I found a photo of my X monster wife and I clearing the land for that house in the summer of 1997. I had $270,000 in the place and property at the time. Like I said, when she said in 2004, “I’m moving off the mountain and you can keep the house or me”, I should have clearly said don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out……

I chose poorly.

View attachment 8321722
    Wouldt have mattered. Once she was 'Off the mountain' the next stop would have been the Liars office and she would have owned the mountain anyway.

Wow that look like an amazing place

It was; still is for the current owners. I literally drew up the floor plan and dimensions on a pad of engineering paper along with how I wanted it to look from the front, had house plans drawn up, and found a custom home builder to build it. My plan was to never leave that place until I was carried out feet first. That 10 acre parcel boarders millions of acres of impossible access Forest Service land on its eastern side; so my side yard was huge.

Maggot is correct; I would have had to sell it anyway in a divorce as I would not have been able to buy her out of her half. It’s a wonder more women don’t become bear scat the way they are allowed to take from the productive party. I digress.

The wood fired furnace in that place worked great and provided plenty of exercise in the summer cutting wood for it.

My Elf wood burning furnace is over 40 yrs old and still works but it’s falling apart . I love it because it has an electric heater inside in case you run out of wood etc. but I’m not sure if they make combo units like that anymore . Does anyone have any recommendations and since all the electrical and duct work is there it seems like it wood be easy to install myself but never done it. Any advice wood be welcome , thanksView attachment 8321606
    Had this unit of one very very similar in the house I grew up in in the Upper Peninsula of MI. A very nice and efficient system- question does your heat come from the accordion type water or steam radiators?

Figures, it’s was a great product. Why people can’t see the benefits from having a dual fuel wood/electric/gas backup is beyond me. It’s likely also because of difficulties in having them installed as most HVAC people wouldn’t touch them because they “didn’t have certification for installing a wood burning furnace”. There’s probably not even a certification for that. I couldn’t find anyone who would install it in north Idaho, but I’m not deterred by such nonsense. I found a place that would manufacture duct work if I brought them dimensions of what I needed. Cool. I drew out what I needed on engineering paper and they made the ductwork for me. Then I had a friend from church who worked installing commercial ductwork come out with his tools and we installed the ductwork in a few hours. He thought it was a great system. I burned about 7 cords a winter heating that 3900 sf home; 75% grand fur and 25% tamarack. I stuffed the firebox full of tamarack at night before bed and there were always coals to start the fire in the morning. I miss that place. I wish it showed a picture of tge furnace, but it doesn’t.

That is an absolutely amazing home.

Reactions: KYAggie