• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anybody know about Superior Tactical Solutions????

batarrier

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2008
Ft Riley, KS
Superior Tactical Solutions is a company based in Henderson, KY that does gunsmithing. I read on another forum that a guy had problems with that company and my family is having some now. Anyone care to shed some light?

Re: Anybody know about Superior Tactical Solutions????

Enlighten use please on what problem you are having?

After doing a Google search you probley have a rifle there and its not getting completed in the time frame he told you it was? I read the thread from Benchrest forums and I agree with the guy if you paid extra to have something completed in a time frame it should be done. Plus you shouldnt have to call the ATF and a attorney to get your rifles back. However, remember good things come to those who wait, most of the smiths have a 6-12month waiting period. But it looks like he needs to work on his customer service.

A rifle was sent to have work done and it was promised back the week before Christmas. After many unanswered and unreturned phone calls and emails the Sheriff's office was involved and the gunsmith called and promised the gun back two weeks ago this week (Monday,9FEB). I am from Columbus, OH and that should be a 2 day shipment, still no gun. Benchrest.com forum has a guy who had a similar problem. He involved the ATF and a lawyer to finally get his guns back. (Didn't find this out until after the guns had been sent.) Either this guy has terrible business savvy or something worse is going on.

If it comes to a point were you want your rifle back call the ATF they will take care of it. My father had the samething happen to him when he had to have a stock on his Browning O/U refinished. He went to check on it and the place was closed during normal operation hours. Went back a couple more times and the same thing! My father has a FFL and he knew to call the ATF, he did and the gunsmith met him to p/u his unfinished product that after a couple months wasnt started. About a month later that gunsmith closed his doors.

I'm thinking that's where this is about to go. I was just throwing this out there as a warning and to get some more info about the company. Thanks a lot though.

I haven't ever heard of them, but it's a shame to see a local smith putting themselves in such a position.

I'm having some communications of my own with a refinisher that I hope will work out, and I know what you are going through. Good luck, and I hope you get your stuff back.

Please allow me to chime in. I dont feel great saying this but, enough was enough. I always give people the benefit of doubt, but after myself and a friend had horror stories I dont think it's coincidence. I will try to make this short and sweet. I have sent 5 rifles to the guy for various work, some simple, some more complex. I was happy w/ the results on the first batch that I sent in except for the horrible customer service. No big deal. Second batch was a completely different story. Got my 308 back, work looked good. I was getting light (luckily) can strikes. After a long apology and explanation about a former employee who had done VERY poor work. I sent it back to them. I dont know why, but I did.He assured me that HE would do the work himself and it would be flawless. He also gave me a very good price on the work. It came back looking OK much later than promised, but I was happy to see the problem fixed. My friend also had a horrible experience w/ them as well( He'll be posting later.Needless to say I DO NOT reccomend this guy to anyone unless you want some work done to your Red Ryder, then maybe. I want to warn others, and It sucks that I was not the only one. But then again I always like learning things the hard way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please allow me to chime in. I dont feel great saying this but, enough was enough. I always give people the benefit of doubt, but after myself and a friend had horror stories I dont think it's coincidence. I will try to make this short and sweet. I have sent 5 rifles to the guy for various work, some simple, some more complex. I was happy w/ the results on the first batch that I sent in except for the horrible customer service. No big deal. Second batch was a completely different story. Got my 308 back, work looked good. I was getting light (luckily) can strikes. After a long apology and explanation about a former employee who had done VERY poor work. I sent it back to them. I dont know why, but I did.He assured me that HE would do the work himself and it would be flawless. He also gave me a very good price on the work. It came back looking OK much later than promised, but I was happy to see the problem fixed. My friend also had a horrible experience w/ them as well( He'll be posting later.Needless to say I DO NOT reccomend this guy to anyone unless you want some work done to your Red Ryder, then maybe. I want to warn others, and It sucks that I was not the only one. But then again I always like learning things the hard way. </div></div>

Well, I am the friend that Bushmaster is talking about. The rifles we sent to him both had light can strikes when we recieved them. Both of us sent the rifles back to him after the previously mentioned apology. The rifles came back looking good. I went to screw my Cyclone on the stainless steel barrel and the threads locked up. As I started to back the can off I got about 1/4 of a turn and the can wouldn't budge. At that point I knew I was in trouble, threads galled. I used a strap wrench to try and remove the can but no luck. I ened up having to put the can in the rubber jawed vise and turn the barrel with an action wrench. I sent the can off and recieved it back quickly fixed from AAC, but the rifle is threading f#$#$#D. I am not a happy camper with this guy. Just as the other posters said his customer service is terrible. As far as the timleine goes both bushmaster and myself have would not have been upset if the guy was forthcoming about the timeline. all he had to do was tell us it would take 5 months to get our rifles back and all would be well, or we would have gone somewhere else. Atleast we would have been in the "know". I will never send anything to STS again or ever recommened his work.

It seems some 'smiths operate on "gunsmith standard time" which is twice as long as quoted (at least). If the work is exemplary we are usually willing to forgive this, but if the work is bad it's just an all around bad situation.

We are fortunate to have some 'smiths on here who are honest about their timeline, available when called and do good work.

No Rules, I'm up the street from you in Delaware, when you get that back if it needs help get with me and I may be able to point you to a local guy that is exemplary. He does work on "gunsmith standard time" though. If he says 2 months it may be 6, but his rifles are works of art.

Let's go shoot too.

Hey thanks a lot guys, and oneeyedmac I will definately keep your offer in my pocket. The lack of communication with the customer is the biggest thing that pissed me off. Like you all said, knowing would be ok. Hopefully now some other people won't have to deal with this guy.

So I guess good things come to those who bitch lol. Got an email yesterday that I'm getting 2 packages weighing a total of 56 lbs from STS. I'd say those are the guns. Either he has good timing or saw this post and figured he better get working! Thanks to all who posted and those who read just be careful.

I had a gunsmith I taken 2 guns to have the barrels threaded. He took 45 days. Never went back to him. Went to another gunsmith he said he would call me in a couple of hours. I was shooting a suppressed gun before the sun went down. He does all my work now. The 1st gunsmith came with recommedations and all you heard was bs.He had a new bs story everyday. My new gunsmith built my 260 in 4 days for me. Shoots like a house on fire.

Fellow Hiders,

norules started this thread to help me out as I'm the guy who is currently having problems with STS and can't seem to find a solution. If you read up top, you'll know what the situation is and even though norules and myself got an e-mail saying the packages would be coming back from STS, this never happened as the e-mail said they would be back Feb. 11th (last Wednesday) and they never showed. Now the e-mail only says billing information received, it doesn't say anything about shipping. It's been a week since I got the e-mail from UPS so I'm not sure if UPS has my firearms or if STS still does but UPS just created a shipping label.....

To thoroughly explain what happened, I sent a Surgeon .308 rifle to STS in late October and a Remington Police 870 shotgun to them the start of November and i was quoted 2-3 weeks on the shotgun and 4-6 weeks on the Surgeon rifle. The work to be performed on the shotgun was new drilling and tapping for a rear ghost ring sight and the installation of an XS clamp on front sight. I also had them re-coat the shotgun. As I said, 2-3 weeks turn around. It's been 3 1/2 months and still no show.....

The work to be performed to the Surgeon rifle was to index the threads for the Surefire Muzzle brake, 6 flutes cut into the barrel, and re-coat the barreled action. Like I said quoted 4-6 weeks. It's been close to 4 months now, still no show. BTW, the Surgeon rifle had been built by them previously and was delivered to me in the time frame he quoted me and the work was flawless (at the time) so I went back to him for further work....Should not have done that I guess.....

I'm hoping that since I got the e-mail from UPS that he'll ship this week but after all the problems I've been having with him, I highly doubt that will happen....Since the guns have been shipped 3 1/2 - 4 months ago, he hasn't responded <span style="font-weight: bold">TO ANY OF MY E-MAILS</span>, 98% the time I call him he doesn't answer, and I've spoken with him twice, maybe 3 times since I sent them and one time was just a BS voicemail he left me about a week and a half ago that was just another excuse I'm guessing....Thanks for all those that have chimed in. I suppose I'll contact ATF within the next week or two if my weapons don't show up....Thanks for all your help like i said though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I suppose I'll contact ATF within the next week or two if my weapons don't show up....Thanks for all your help like i said though...

</div></div>

I wouldn't wait if I were you. I can give you the name af an ATF agent in the Columbus office, I don't know if he can help but it would be a start.

Let's go shoot bty, the Delaware State park range opens in two weeks.

Got an e-mail from UPS saying one has definitely shipped to me and shows that it's in Columbus and I should have it tomorrow so i hope the other is to follow soon. I guess this is all good timing or coincidence who knows...Thanks everybody for your support...oneeyed where is this new range going to be located?? I've heard nothing of it and BTW does it have a somewhat far distance rifle range?? Shoot me a PM if you want to..

It's not new, it'd old. Really old. It's just closed in January and February. It's on state route 229 of 23 north of Delaware. It's a 100 yards range. Stop at Norton Sporting Goods on 229 just west of 23 and buy a 1 year pass for $24. The range is about a mile east of 23 on 229. Dale is the talkative old bastard that usually works at the range. He's a good old boy who has probably forgotten more about shooting than most of us have ever learned, he's helpful too. I've seen him bore sight rifles for people when they are struggling to get on paper. If you don't reload you can get forever in Dale's good graces by giving him brass.

I live in Delaware, shoot me a PM if you want to shoot.

Thanks for the thread guys.

I have been looking at local 'smiths and while I had already spoken with Geoff Corn a friend mentioned SPS since the owner was a former officer.

After seeing the feedback on here, benchrest forums and a couple others I don't think I will even bother getting a quote on the work. Quality and CS is more important to me than saving a couple bucks.

I'm in KY... obviously! I can drop by on this guy if anymore problems occur and see what the deal is. Let me know if I can help.

Good luck to all those that have lost out to STS/ Brad Turner.
Turner has shut down the shop in Henderson and had moved out of state. Prior to the move he was working on PA, he has another company
Contact Us
try calling that number..maybe you will get lucky.
My civil suit is nearing its end. The court has already ruled that STS owes me close to $18,000, now the battle is to collect.