• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Anybody know what that number is?

csi:cyberspace

Cyber Snoop Dog
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2006
Asheville, NC
I just got the copy of my cancelled checks sent to BATFE with my latest forms 4. On the top of the check is a number written in presumably by BATFE. Does anyone know what it means or if there is any significance to it at all? Perhaps something to denote which examiner the forms went to?

Re: Anybody know what that number is?

I WISH!!! But I don't think it could be. The check gets cashed WAY before a stamp is even considered. The checks were only cashed a couple of days ago and were only sent in within the last couple of weeks. If I get one back in THAT time frame...... you'll hear me yelling all the way out to NM
grin.gif

The number is a huge, two-digit number, hand-written at the top of the checks. It may mean nothing 'cause none of my previous ones had it. I just was hoping someone knew.

It's an ATF contol #. The first two characters are letters, right? The first letter is the first initial of your dealer's name or corp, the second letter in the first initial of your last name? The next set of 3 numbers is like the julian date your paperwork was received and off the top of my head I really don't remember what the last couple of #'s mean. If it really means that much to you I can find out and tell you the rest, but it's no big deal. This number will also be on top of your form 1 or 4 as well.

BTW, the number on the stamp (when you get it) is the serial number of the weapon you registered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's an ATF contol #. The first two characters are letters, right? The first letter is the first initial of your dealer's name or corp, the second letter in the first initial of your last name? The next set of 3 numbers is like the julian date your paperwork was received and off the top of my head I really don't remember what the last couple of #'s mean. If it really means that much to you I can find out and tell you the rest, but it's no big deal. This number will also be on top of your form 1 or 4 as well.

BTW, the number on the stamp (when you get it) is the serial number of the <span style="color: #FF0000">weapon you registered</span>.</div></div>

The OP submitted a Form 4, so he is not <span style="font-style: italic">registering</span> a weapon; he is applying for a tax-paid transfer of a weapon which the original manufacturer already registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) at the time of making.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's an ATF contol #. The first two characters are letters, right? The first letter is the first initial of your dealer's name or corp, the second letter in the first initial of your last name? The next set of 3 numbers is like the julian date your paperwork was received and off the top of my head I really don't remember what the last couple of #'s mean. If it really means that much to you I can find out and tell you the rest, but it's no big deal. This number will also be on top of your form 1 or 4 as well.

BTW, the number on the stamp (when you get it) is the serial number of the <span style="color: #FF0000">weapon you registered</span>.</div></div>

The OP submitted a Form 4, so he is not <span style="font-style: italic">registering</span> a weapon; he is applying for a tax-paid transfer of a weapon which the original manufacturer already registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) at the time of making. </div></div>

OK Mr. Semantics, feel better now?

I forgot more about the NFA process since I woke up this morning then you ever knew.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's an ATF contol #. The first two characters are letters, right? The first letter is the first initial of your dealer's name or corp, the second letter in the first initial of your last name? The next set of 3 numbers is like the julian date your paperwork was received and off the top of my head I really don't remember what the last couple of #'s mean. If it really means that much to you I can find out and tell you the rest, but it's no big deal. This number will also be on top of your form 1 or 4 as well.

The OP submitted a Form 4, so he is not <span style="font-style: italic">registering</span> a weapon; he is applying for a tax-paid transfer of a weapon which the original manufacturer already registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) at the time of making. </div></div>

I forgot more about the NFA process since I woke up this morning then you ever knew. </div></div>

That was funny.
grin.gif

Perhaps I should not have used the word huge in the context I did. In computer terms, the number is huge meaning it is written in a large font or very big print. However, it is still a two-digit number as I said before. Two digit, as in 20, or 32, or 14, or ever 01. There are no characters (at least in my particular case) only the number 30.

Thanks for all the replies, but I don't believe anyone has it yet. I thought it might be some sort of system to tell which inspector they went to - then I was going to ask if anyone knew how to tell which one it might be, then I was going to the database another fellow is tracking them on and get an idea how long that inspector was taken just so I could see how my result compared. I've done this before and am prepared for the wait, the whole thing is really kind of anecdotal, and born of curiosity.

Sorry, I missed the part about it being a 2 digit number in your second post. Without knowing the number or seeing the cancelled check, I couldn't tell you what that number is. I'll dig out a cancelled ATF check of mine and see if it has a similar #. NFA Branch changes things so often that details like that can be tough to stay on top of. Examiners are usually assigned based on the first letter of your dealer's name. This is not always the case however becuase sometimes it is dependant on NFA Branch's current staffing and work load. In any case, when you call them to check on the status of your transfer they are most always very cordial and accomodating and usually answer any questions you may have. Feel free to ask them.

BTW, if I'm wrong about any of this, I'm confident that Mr. NFA nitpicker know-it-all punk will be along to correct me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's an ATF contol #. The first two characters are letters, right? The first letter is the first initial of your dealer's name or corp, the second letter in the first initial of your last name? The next set of 3 numbers is like the julian date your paperwork was received and off the top of my head I really don't remember what the last couple of #'s mean. If it really means that much to you I can find out and tell you the rest, but it's no big deal. This number will also be on top of your form 1 or 4 as well.

I forgot more about the NFA process since I woke up this morning then you ever knew. </div></div>

That was funny.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yeah what's even funnier is that if I was a friggin internet troll arfcom punk like he is, I could get all technical and say that he IS registering the weapon even though it's a form 4 because it is being registered in the NFRTR under HIS (OP's) name. NFA weapons are re-registered all the time.

But I just come here to learn and help folks, not to be a friggin punk.

Edited to add:

Glad you got a chuckle out of it. A bit of humor is the least I could do for a 18E SF Vet.

Thanks for your service.