• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody lay eyes one a Lee 6000 yet? I think I want one.

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
Right now I load on a Lee 4 hole turret press. It works really good and I like it alot. But I have stepped up my round count lately and I've been thinking about going with a progressive, but most look complicated and are a big $.

Here is what I do now.
1, insert case by hand, first pull is deprime and resize
2, on the down stroke I reprime
3, Lee auto drum charges case
4, put a bullet on by hand and then seat bullet
5, crimp bullet, and then the reverse rotation kit and little case ejector finger spit the loaded round out and I start over.

I see the 6000 has 6 holes and you can put a case feeder on it
Also says you can add a bullet feeder.
How does the priming system on this work?

I would love to full a case feeder, bullet feeder, primer box and powder dispenser and have a loaded round every pull of the handle.
Manual priming would be ok, The way the turret press does it is fine.

1 pull one round vs 4 pulls 1 round is tempting.

I already have dies and the powder dispenser, the press, a case feeder and a bullet feeder would be the new tools.

Reactions: jstone
Lee makes some very good equipment. Their previous "progressive" press, the Loadmaster, is not a member of that "very good equipment" group, IMO. This new one? I have no idea, but based on my previous experience with the Loadmaster I wouldn't take the chance. I bought one when I was getting into progressive loading, spent many hours setting up and adjusting, watched I don't know how many videos on how to make it work, and never loaded a complete round of ammunition on it. Finally after 2 days I boxed it up and sent it back for a refund, bought a Dillon 550B (for twice the money) and was loading ammo in 45 minutes after mounting it on my bench.
Again, this new Lee may be the best reloader to ever hit the market, but I won't be recommending it until it's proven itself on somebody else's dime.
YMMV

Last edited:
This new press is a version of the auto breech lock pro. The carrier tilts and has no way to stay lined up. You can move the whole carrier about 1/8" in each direction. As you seat the bullet the carrier flexes and you can not keep a consistent depth. I made mine into a 9mm blasting ammo only press. If Lee has fixed these issues I doubt it may be decent. But Lee seems to do everything half assed on their presses.

Reactions: mtrmn
I have a Lee single stage, a Classic Lee Turret press, a Lee Breack Lock Pro (progressive) and this Lee 6000 YES, AS OF MARCH 28TH I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM.

I have had the 6000 for 2 months. all I have loaded on it is .308. IT HAS PROBLEMS! Breaks my heart to write this,

Problem #1, Station #1: The brass inserter needs extra "help" to seat the brass in the shellplate. EVERY TIME. (minor annoyance)

Problem #2 station #1 On the upstroke the inserter tends to snag on the brass's right side and partially pull it out. (major annoyance)

Problem #3 station #1: When I size and deprime .308 brass it regularly (3 of 03 and I stoppped) it tears off 2 bits of the brass base and leaves it there. I ASSUME the brass is not completely seating in the plate and the majority of the surface area is not engages the extraction lip. (Major annoyance. Forces you to use primed, sized brass only)

Problem #4 Station 1.5: The Primer inserting pin is only one size. Therefor it tends to dent/distort a VERY high percentage of primers. I do not know if/how much it will effect their performance next time I go out shooting. (Big problem)

Problem #5 station 1.5: When the shell plate is locked in place, the primer insertion pin is .5 to .85 mm OFF CENTER and as such only partially engages the primer leading to all kinds of problems, up to and including breaking the "finger" off the steel end of the plastic primer feeding slider! (deal breaker! unless you plan on feeding it pre primed brass)

Problem #6 stations #4 & #5 the plastic retaining/tensioning ring that goes around 80% of the shell plate and the shell plate holder extend a little too far and prevent removal of a case unless you rias the plate enough to allow you to force the plate backwards enough to clear. About 4mm. I cut off the offending bits to allow for much easier case removal.

Problem #7 station #4. The Lee "straight through" bullet feeder's tubes are for 9mm pistol although it says for .30 cal. rifle. Actually it's just the bullet tube. You see they give out a tube, slighly thicker than the very thin one for the 9mm. Inside diameter is nearly an exact match to the tube for 9mm. So, the LONG POINTY BOATTAIL rifle bullets that are .309 going through a tube that is meant for short, fat, rounded bullets that are .356 and they get their pointy nose on the side of the bullet above them, wedging the entire mess sideways and jamming it up! OK, technically NOT part of this press. (fixed[ish] see footnote #1)

Problem #8 All stations. The rotator arm is a bit too springy. So as the plate descends and begins to rotate, the arm winds up just a bit and then "POPS" loose! Throwing the set but not seated bullet across the room and shaking the case that is being inserted but not yet in the plate to fall over. (major annoyance) Possible fix yet to be tried, see footnote #2

OTHER THAN ALL THAT, the press works fine and I have loaded roughly 300 .308 rounds with it. Mostly feeding it pre primed and sized cases with about 50 using DEprimed, but still sized cases. Again, unknown how well those cartridges with distorted primers will function.

Footnote #1: I took the thin clear 9mm bullet tube and (CAREFULLY) sliced it lengthwise. Then did it again, cutting out a piece about .2" wide allowing me to compress this and slide it INTO the thicker, yellow Lee .30 cal rifle bullet tube. PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Footnote #2: Possible solution is to make a slotted piece of steel that can be slid up, around the bottom the flat rotator rod, thus anchoring it and preventing the rod from relying on it's own insufficient rigidity for smooth operations. Frankly, Lee needed to use the square rod from the turret press with only a 1/6th turn.

There you have it. some anonymous guy's experiences with the 6000. Take it for what it is worth. Leave me a message if you would like details or pictures/proof. Yes, I plan on contacting Lee. I have had good customer service from them in the past.

Last edited:
I appreciate the report. That sucks. I really want to pull the handle one time and have a loaded round appear....

My Loadmaster ran way better after I took the shell feeder off. I loaded 15k or 20k all said and done. A bunch of 40 some 9mm and 44 mag.

There is a long thread on The High Road forum that give an excellent review of the Lee 6000 along with all the quirks/problems and how to fix them. It is well worth the time to read if you are interested in the Lee 6000

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...oxing-and-testing-for-oal-consistency.911743/

Thanks, I picked one up last week on sale and used a promo code also . Cost was $240 so I figured for that price I’d give a try. Although I will have to pick up some more accessories.

Reactions: 12Bravo20
I feel that most progressives get jazzed by priming systems both priming and depriming. I know its extra steps but I deprime, clean, size, prime and load. Not really into it for the speed just like to relax and enjoy all aspects

I may have solved problem #3 station #1.

I loosened the top casting and shoved it hard towards the pivot point then retightened it. I was hoping that would engage more of the plate. It seemed to have worked. I will post more next time I load the deprimed or raw range brass.