• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody making beef/elk jerky

RichardTractorGuy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2010
York, Pa
I have been making beef jerky for years using Weston or Hi Mountain cures and a Nesco jerky maker... Anybody have any good recipes for making good jerky?

Re: Anybody making beef/elk jerky

I've one that I'll find and put up here in a bit. IIRC, Maggie's Drawers is the more suitable place for recipe's and whatnot.

There are a few others here whom really know their stuff on this topic. One can hope that they'll share their knowledge also.

Down here in S. Texas I buy a marinade called Allegro. This stuff is awesome! It's not too salty either. The hickory and original flavor are the best. I usually marinade over night. If you cannot find Allegro in your area go to google and type in allegro marinade and it will take you to their website. Enjoy! Let me know how it turns out.

Sheeeiiiit, here ya go!

2c Aloha Shoyu(Aloha Brand Soy Sauce)
4T fresh shredded ginger(easier done when it's frozen)
1c sugar
1T toasted sesame seeds
1 stick of green onion, chopped
crushed red pepper(the spicy stuff), you make the judgement on how much to put in(or as my boys say, 1T pussy)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped

Mix it all up until the sugar is infused, TASTE IT. If it needs more sugar, ginger, hot pepper, put some in! Stir it up an dtaste it again until it tastes good(a well balanced flavor of all ingredients)

Now go out and kill a cow and take it's fat ass cheeks(Rump Roast, of course London Broil, Flat Iron, or other piece of meat is good, but less marbleing and fat is preferred). Cut those suckers into 1/8" thick slices and put them into a 1G zip loc bag and pour the spicy teriyaki marinade into it. Get the air out, close it, and let it soak for two days, flipping the bag side to side every 4 hours or so.

Oven: Foil the bottom of that sucker, spray the racks, and set the heat to 170. leave it open about an inch. Rack the meat, and let it run over night, or about 6- 8 hours(may need 9)

Dehydrator method: Don't ask me, I don't own one of those things!

Smoker...wellll, if you know how to run a smoker, why you askin me?

You wanna kick it up notches unknown? Grind it all up, add some nuts and berries to it, lay it flat in a pan, then dry it out..that shit is killer grinds for a busy student on an hour lunch break!(yeah baby, ancient Indian secret)
Ancient Chinese Secret? Well she says just take the teriyaki, add a lot of black pepper, more sesame seeds, more garlic, and some sesame oil....for that Korean Kal Bi kick...oh yeah, the Chinese thing...Panty 6 says add a little taste of Oyster Sauce to the mix. You want some down home? Add a shot of bourbon to your meat, a little pepper and salt and have at it

Ask and you shall receive! Even my wife is wanting to try these...Switch that teriyaki is what I am going to try this weekend. Just wish I had my own cows instead of buying bits of them at HEB.