• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody pushing 230 Bergers out of there Rum?

beretta989

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
South Dakota Huron area
Been Looking at picking up A 300 Rum and was looking at the 230 Bergers and the 240smks. I have a place to shoot across a few hay fields and streams up to 3 miles of nothing. West river all owned by one person who is 80 and doesn't let any unwanted targets to wonder into the way. Would like to hear input from the Rum guys on here.

Thanks

Re: Anybody pushing 230 Bergers out of there Rum?

I've had great luck with the 210's and recently picked up a box of the 230's to try out but haven't made it that far yet. Mine REALLY likes 90gr. retumbo behind either the 210 or 208 amax. Your mileage may vary on that as mine is a very tight chambered 28" pipe.

91 gr h1k..3010 fps..and deadly on wildlife

I have a 300Win I'm pounding steel with. And Without a longer tube and different reamer I'm not sure it will be worth my time to test the 230s out of it.

getting ready to prime, charge and seat my first 20 rounds today. Had been looking for peoples loads just for ideas on how far to take my powder charges from starting levels.

91grs H1K seems to be a common point for most people, i hope i can get at least that high with out pressure signs time will tell.

some things not pointed out, but BCJR, are you using the OTM or the Target bullets? And if the Target are you jumping or jamming?

best,
joe

So just finished up reloading some of these bad boys in my 300rum.

I have a few rounds from 83grs - 88grs H1000 for my pressure checks. Then loaded 5 rounds for every .5 gr increase up to 91.5grs

Did my powder charges before i checked what my seating depth would be. Unfortunately i am hitting the lands a lot shorter than i had hoped, right around 3.770 OAL. I seated at 3.757 so around .013 off lands as i was reading majority of people have success jumping 0.010 - 0.020 off lands.

This being said, i am not so sure i am going to be able to get up to 91.0grs of H1K without pressure signs due to the depth of the seating. Thinking it will be too much bullet in the case up that far but i will find out soon enough. Can't wait to see how these shoot.

Since my OAL is a lot shorter than i thought it would be, i might switch to the OTM because with the target just off lands i am only around 0.10 from fitting in the mag and with the OTM i should be in the mag no problem with good accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see you can use 50 powder in the Rum kinda made me laugh. </div></div>

yeah i think people use it more because it is cheap than anything else

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubXerO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So just finished up reloading some of these bad boys in my 300rum.

I have a few rounds from 83grs - 88grs H1000 for my pressure checks. Then loaded 5 rounds for every .5 gr increase up to 91.5grs

Did my powder charges before i checked what my seating depth would be. Unfortunately i am hitting the lands a lot shorter than i had hoped, right around 3.770 OAL. I seated at 3.757 so around .013 off lands as i was reading majority of people have success jumping 0.010 - 0.020 off lands.

This being said, i am not so sure i am going to be able to get up to 91.0grs of H1K without pressure signs due to the depth of the seating. Thinking it will be too much bullet in the case up that far but i will find out soon enough. Can't wait to see how these shoot.

Since my OAL is a lot shorter than i thought it would be, i might switch to the OTM because with the target just off lands i am only around 0.10 from fitting in the mag and with the OTM i should be in the mag no problem with good accuracy.

</div></div>

Get anymore testing done over the weekend?

unfortunately i don't get to shoot too often where i currently live so i may not get to shoot these for a week or even 2

its killing me

I'm shooting the 230 Hybrids out my RUM - 87 gr of H1k @ 3060fps, es of 3 fps, shoots .25 MOA all day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THT-9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm shooting the 230 Hybrids out my RUM - 87 gr of H1k @ 3060fps, es of 3 fps, shoots .25 MOA all day. </div></div>

what length barrel?

what are you jumping them, and or jamming them?

3k fps with 87grs thats seems impressive from what i have been reading.

thanks in advance

joe

So i did some more intermawebz searching on the 230gr hybrids out of the 300rum and found a few more topics on the matter off various sites

It seems that many people are getting very different results as far as how much powder they are using (H1000) and velocities and pressure.

This is somewhat expected as each gun is different but the differences that people are "claiming" are quite large, we are not talking 1 or 2 grs here

After reading a few posts about people getting pressure signs at 85gr of H1k and others saying they are shooting clean up to 92grs H1k without a problem,

I am probably going to take the time to load up a few lighter loads starting at around 80grs just to be on the safer side of things.

can't trust anything you read on the intermawebz these days

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubXerO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THT-9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm shooting the 230 Hybrids out my RUM - 87 gr of H1k @ 3060fps, es of 3 fps, shoots .25 MOA all day. </div></div>

what length barrel?

what are you jumping them, and or jamming them?

3k fps with 87grs thats seems impressive from what i have been reading.

thanks in advance

joe </div></div>

30" SM Shilen - I'm 1 gr of of my max for accuracy. OAL length is what fits in my Wyatt mag box....I believe it is just over 3.7, I've only checked to make sure the bullet is not hitting the lands, they are not...

The problem that I'm going to have now is that I just finished an older batch of H1k - people are saying that the newer lots are hotter and to start your loads 2 grains lower.

finally get to shoot some of my reloads with these on Saturday.

Stay tuned

hopefully the sun cooperates with my chrono

You should try a ladder test. The rifle will tell you which charge it likes. What everyone else uses(powder charge) doesn't matter.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should try a ladder test. The rifle will tell you which charge it likes. What everyone else uses(powder charge) doesn't matter.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I was more curious about what other people use as a good start and end point for my charge testing. No point in loading up to 95grs if everyone else sees pressure signs before 91gr, you dig?

I tend to do my own variation of a ladder test. 3 rounds of the same charge weight, go up in charge generally in .5 gr increments to start

I like to use separate targets for each 3 shots but same aiming point on each, then just take each target when i am done and use a blank piece of paper, line up POA to same spot and what not then color through the holes onto the blank paper a different color for each load.

So i have the individual 3 shot groups of each load + what they all look like together.

could do same with fancy computer software but this works just as good and cost less money

A nice day at the range today. A little brisk with occasional snow flurries but no rain so i was happy.

Shot my reloads, all went pretty good.

In short i shot
3 rds for each charge over the chrono

powder H1000
300rum, 230 target hybrid, 3.760 OAL .017 off lands
26" barrel

83 - 2790
84 - 2810
85 - 2820
86 - 2835
87 - 2855
88 - 2880
89 - 2910
90 - 2945
90.5 - 2960
91.0 - 2975
91.5 - 2995

Shot all the way up to 90.5 with out any pressure signs, saw very slight extractor mark on 2 cases out of 3 at 91 and then slightly more pronounced marks at 91.5gr

Groups could have been better, around 1" but this was more for getting idea for powder charge. Will start walking the seating depth out and look for a sweet spot as everyone knows bergers can be picky

rangeshot.jpg

best,
joe

P.S. As i stated earlier, lots of different people are seeing very very different results with these bullets and H1000 powder so make sure you start and work up your loads from a safe level and keep in mind seating depth for these long bullets can make a world of difference when it comes to pressure.

So loaded some more up, loaded them up at 91.5 gr H1000

was consistently getting 2990fps Seated these ones .005 off the lands and my groups came together pretty good. There still might be a little room for improvement here i will walk them out .001 and see if they get any tighter.

but getting .5moa 4 shot groups generally with 1 flier .5moa outside of 4 shot

but very happy with performance

no, haven't been doing that, but that is a good thought, i will have to start doing that.

Those fliers are low and right or high and right? Do you let the barrel cool between shots? You are sure none of them touch the lands? I would worry that running such a small jump entertains the possibility that some of the bullets might actually be in the rifling enough to cause a pressure differential.

I know you're not shooting retumbo in this but I just wanted to drop a note. My old load noted above with retumbo was with an older keg that I recently finished, I found I had to drop 4.2gr. in my powder charge to get out of pressure signs and back to the same velocity with a new batch. It has pushed me toward H1000 as it seems to be running more consistent batch to batch. I'd love to throw some input in on the 230's but I haven't gotten a chance to play with them yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those fliers are low and right or high and right? Do you let the barrel cool between shots? You are sure none of them touch the lands? I would worry that running such a small jump entertains the possibility that some of the bullets might actually be in the rifling enough to cause a pressure differential. </div></div>

both fliers are high and right, i was thinking it could be barrel heating up as with the RUM it can happen quick, my barrel is quite large and takes a while to heat up, but it also takes a while to cool down which i do allow for.

unfortuantely one of those fliers was my first shot, and another was a mid shot i am doing my cool down between groups, but i should probably take it a little slower through the groups as well with all that powder

agree with what you said about touching the lands or being off the lands. I do measure length and weight of these bullets and sort them but i really need to buy tool to measure ogive, which will be my next purchase.

getting there slow and sure,

thanks again for the suggestions