• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody regret building a 6.5 PRC off a short action?

Millron

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2014
West Virginia
Any regrets for anyone that has put together a PRC and done it off a short action and accompanying mag limitations? (2.9-2.995")?

I've decided to put together a 6.5 PRC for the upcoming hunting season in 2020 and am deciding what direction I want to go. I plan on running a 7.5 or 8 twist proof barrel at 22-24". Build will be weight concious (looking to keep it 6.5#-7# or so) but doesnt have to be an ultralight. Would prefer a flush fit Detachable box magazine but BDL style will work.

My plans have been to go the Tikka route, as I already have a doner T3x in 300 WM and a Mcmillan stock ready to go. Using Hells Canyon magazines, length shouldn't be an issue. However, after putting it all down on paper, cost wise I'm not sure how far ahead I'm going to be by using the Tikka vs a custom action and selling the Tikka rifle/stock. Looking primarily at other options like a Defiance Rebel XM length and I see Borden makes a Ridgeline medium length action that allows 3.2" cartridges.

Other option looks like a 700 short action clone (Bighorn, defiance, etc) with a Wyatts Box. This is probably a more cost effective option as I already have components (stocks/bottom metal) that would work great. However, I don't want to shoe horn the cartridge in the action if I'll be giving up a lot of performance or create feeding issues. I plan to primarily stick the 140 grain class bullets. Lead times are long it seems on the medium length actions and mcmillan stocks so I probably need to get an order in soon if I want this thing by late summer/early fall.

Any opinions and or regrets???

I'm having one built right now off a 700 SA, the smith is using the wyatts box. I'll let you know after I get it back and get some range time. BUT.... I sure hope I don't regret it lol.

Tikkas are all the same lenght, just change out the bolt stop. Have a 270wsm right now and going to change to a 6.5 which one I don't know but 6.5 prc, 6.5wsm and 6.5 ss are all contenders. Proof has the prefits also, the Hells canyon magazines are a great option with the extended coal.

Actually, If I end using the Tikka my plan was to run it with the long action bolt stop, as the rifle is already a 300 Win Mag. The biggest Issue I see with the Tikka is I can't get comfortable with the factory recoil lug setup. I know it works, but it just seems like a bad idea to have the lug permanently bedded into a fiberglass stock. LRI,and I"m sure others, offer a Tombstone style lug retrofit but that has some drawbacks as well.

It seems to be a cause for concern for many, but the recoil lug setup has been around for many years, and the same system is used on the ssg69 as well. Theres a few decent videos out there if you want to bed the lug. Or if you really want go with a more traditonal lug and face the front of the action if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Reactions: kvpm
It's not a build, but I have the ruger hawkeye in 6.5 PRC in the short action. I can load to 2.950 and that is just about what the factory ammo is. If I try to eject a unfired cartridge it will hang up on the ejection port about half the time. I wish that I could load longer but the rifle still shoots good. If I was building one I would do it on a LA .....

Reactions: Millron
Actually, If I end using the Tikka my plan was to run it with the long action bolt stop, as the rifle is already a 300 Win Mag. The biggest Issue I see with the Tikka is I can't get comfortable with the factory recoil lug setup. I know it works, but it just seems like a bad idea to have the lug permanently bedded into a fiberglass stock. LRI,and I"m sure others, offer a Tombstone style lug retrofit but that has some drawbacks as well.
There are tens of thousands of Tikka in the world wearing fiberglass, plastic, carbon fibre, wood and aluminium stocks.

If the recoil lug was a real concern it would've been raised and addressed long ago.

I went with a Defiance medium (not XM) action and use WSM alpha mags. If you hand load, I’d stick with the shorter freebore (.130). You shouldn’t have any oal issues with Alpha mags and 140 class bullets. If I did it again I’d go the same direction.

Attachments

• 938C6434-5325-4435-B6DA-5F4AD3432634.jpeg
    938C6434-5325-4435-B6DA-5F4AD3432634.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 268
I went with a Defiance medium (not XM) action and use WSM alpha mags. If you hand load, I’d stick with the shorter freebore (.130). You shouldn’t have any oal issues with Alpha mags and 140 class bullets. If I did it again I’d go the same direction.

Any issues ejecting live rounds?

I ran one w no issues off a Surgeon WSM action. Accurate 300 WSM or Alpha type 4 mags.

I'm happy with my big horn origin cut for the Wyatt's box in 6.5 PRC. Very accurate and plenty of room to load out on my build. Plus some hunting bullets prefer some jump anyway. If I was going to get a long action (LA origin wasn't available when I ordered) I would've just got 280AI. The whole point of the PRC for me was to be a short action.

My build with a 26" rock Creek #2 and a manners EH6 is 6 pounds 13 ounces and recoil is almost non existent. Select your components with care, it's very easy to come in over your desired weight.

I'm happy with my big horn origin cut for the Wyatt's box in 6.5 PRC. Very accurate and plenty of room to load out on my build. Plus some hunting bullets prefer some jump anyway. If I was going to get a long action (LA origin wasn't available when I ordered) I would've just got 280AI. The whole point of the PRC for me was to be a short action.

My build with a 26" rock Creek #2 and a manners EH6 is 6 pounds 13 ounces and recoil is almost non existent. Select your components with care, it's very easy to come in over your desired weight.
Good to know, thanks. Action feeds the PRC well i take it? Im running an origin pn a 6br and it feeds them like butter from an AICS mag, wondereing how they worked with prc/saum cartridges

I have a SA TL3 chambered in 6.5PRC. Other than recommending the shortest throat possible there are no feeding issues. It's both smooth from the magazine and single feeding a round on top of the magazine.

I built one off of a R700 SA and while I don’t regret doing it I’d never build one for someone else on a R700 SA. It took a lot of extra work to make it feed and eject reliably.

Good to know, thanks. Action feeds the PRC well i take it? Im running an origin pn a 6br and it feeds them like butter from an AICS mag, wondereing how they worked with prc/saum cartridges

With the Wyatt's extended box, his PRC follower, and factory feed rails, mine feeds very smooth. I've had to tweak the spring for the follower some because when you load 3 down the first road wasn't always fully presenting itself to the bolt. I'm sure from mags the PRC would feed very well.

@AC, did your riflesmith cut the action for Wyatt or did you order it that way? I emailed BHZA and Ray said the Originn wasnt availablefor Wyatt cut and only mag fed for max COAL.

I thought about doing a Tikka build with Hells Canyon or TP magazine for 3.1 OAL but after putting pen to paper a custom action made more sense.

Although for the Tikka, I added M700 style recoil lug, Mesa stock, TP floorplate etc.

The Gunwerks GRB short is the action I would consider for "budget" with Defiance, Bighorn et al with ala carte options.

With the Wyatt's extended box, his PRC follower, and factory feed rails, mine feeds very smooth. I've had to tweak the spring for the follower some because when you load 3 down the first road wasn't always fully presenting itself to the bolt. I'm sure from mags the PRC would feed very well.

I had a local smith open it up. Not a major operation. If you wanted to put the extended box on any factory action it would need to be milled.

@AC, did your riflesmith cut the action for Wyatt or did you order it that way? I emailed BHZA and Ray said the Originn wasnt availablefor Wyatt cut and only mag fed for max COAL.

I thought about doing a Tikka build with Hells Canyon or TP magazine for 3.1 OAL but after putting pen to paper a custom action made more sense.

Although for the Tikka, I added M700 style recoil lug, Mesa stock, TP floorplate etc.

The Gunwerks GRB short is the action I would consider for "budget" with Defiance, Bighorn et al with ala carte options.
The GRB Is the only "budget" action ive found that comes cut for a wyatts box as standard, so i have that in the running as well. What i dont know is how that action will feed/eject a PRC case loaded to max oal of about 2.995.
Reviews on this action seem to be few, but on paper it looks nice. Have not handled one in person.

I have handled the GRB at its a really nice action IMO.

Feature rich without a lot of options, the Davidsons really have thought that one out.

IMO, that beats a M700 maxed out in terms of value vs $$ invested.

The only other sub-$1k action that I know of that is Wyatt cut AND designated as medium length is a Stiller Predator.

But I have no current first hand experience with those actions.

I have a Origin that I intended to run a Creed/PRC switch lug on. I have the Bartlein Creed spun up (and installed) and the Proof CF blank in the gun room. Still deciding on what freebore reamer to buy. Most likely go with .130 FB. Even heard guys having good luck with .112 FB. I have 10 more months before my elk hunt to decide. Which is why I’m “watching” nearly every 6.5PRC thread on the Hide. lol

Reactions: Wyzrd
Had my 7mag rebarreled and chambered to 6.5 PRC and wouldn’t personally do one on a short action. It’s nice to have the extra room to push your brass volume with bullets like the Berger 156 as an example without fighting the magazine. Have my 6.5x284 on a long action for the same reason. JM2C

Reactions: mjh30 and Wyzrd
This is the issue I am running into because I want to run a BDL which limits my action options. If you want to run from a magazine I wouldn't hesitate to build on a SA. I am thinking about just buying a Fuzion Ti and running a 6.5 PRC shouldered barrel and down the road once Elk+ calls, getting a 300 PRC barrel.

This is the issue I am running into because I want to run a BDL which limits my action options. If you want to run from a magazine I wouldn't hesitate to build on a SA. I am thinking about just buying a Fuzion Ti and running a 6.5 PRC shouldered barrel and down the road once Elk+ calls, getting a 300 PRC barrel.
May not be a bad way to roll.

Currently running 6.5 PRC in a Tikka SA (KRG Bravo Stock, Accurate WSM mag COAL 2.960”) and an ARC Nucleus SA (same mag and OAL). No issues so far. I do have a LA Nucleus which I’ve been thinking about playing with some longer COALs in.

Good to know, did the bolt stop need mods for feed and eject function?

Nope. Bolt stop is in the perfect place for the extended mag. Wonder if it's just in the same spot on all their actions. Ejection of loaded roads etc hasn't been a problem. If you're going long action, I'd just go with a different caliber. I love my PRC, but with a long action it has a lot of competition.

I would recommend a .150 FB vs .188 on a short action. My Surgeon WSM w .188 FB was a tack driver pushed hard w all the heavies from 2.950-2.980. Sierra 150 ran best @ 3.09 in the .188 FB but had to single load.

Recently sold that rifle as the barrel was coming to its end of life. Debating on building another on a LA and setting the throat up to handle the heavies at 3.100 PLUS.

Reactions: RNWRKNP and mjh30
Recently sold that rifle as the barrel was coming to its end of life. Debating on building another on a LA and setting the throat up to handle the heavies at 3.100 PLUS.
I have been following a lot of the 6.5 PRC threads on here for several months in hopes of learning a thing or two, or more. Seems like I’m leaning towards the Defiant Deviant XM action since they have a 10 rnd mag being introduced as we speak that should mate with Hawkins bottom metal. I have also found a 5 rnd magazine that I have no experience with, Inflection D&E medium length, that is supposed to work with the XM. Anyone have any info regarding pros and cons of this combo?

The main reason for the medium action, to my thinking, is to have options regarding bullet choice. The internal mag length for these is 3.2” which appears to work well with the short mag class and really isn’t that much longer than the short action class. The question here is: given the OAL of the magazine, which freebore would you choose to work with the heavier bullet choices? I’m thinking of the .188 to allow as much powder room as possible and room to chase future throat degradation.

This will be attached to a Rock Creek Sendero cut 7.5 twist 24-26” barrel set into a Mesa Precision Altitude stock. The trigger will hopefully be the new 2 stage Trigger Tech Primary. These are almost out as well. Lotta new shit going on here! Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCX
I have been following a lot of the 6.5 PRC threads on here for several months in hopes of learning a thing or two, or more. Seems like I’m leaning towards the Defiant Deviant XM action since they have a 10 rnd mag being introduced as we speak that should mate with Hawkins bottom metal. I have also found a 5 rnd magazine that I have no experience with, Inflection D&E medium length, that is supposed to work with the XM. Anyone have any info regarding pros and cons of this combo?

The main reason for the medium action, to my thinking, is to have options regarding bullet choice. The internal mag length for these is 3.2” which appears to work well with the short mag class and really isn’t that much longer than the short action class. The question here is: given the OAL of the magazine, which freebore would you choose to work with the heavier bullet choices? I’m thinking of the .188 to allow as much powder room as possible and room to chase future throat degradation.

This will be attached to a Rock Creek Sendero cut 7.5 twist 24-26” barrel set into a Mesa Precision Altitude stock.

Depends a lot on the bullet. Why not pick the bullet you want to shoot, make a dummy round, and tell your gunsmith how much jump you want it to have?

Depends a lot on the bullet. Why not pick the bullet you want to shoot, make a dummy round, and tell your gunsmith how much jump you want it to have?
Thought about that, but I will most likely use a few different choices over the life of the rifle. It will be used to hunt with as well as do some mild long range competition/range time. Not sure which bullet will satisfy all of that yet.

I’d look at the 144 hybrid. And the standard 188 FB should work well.

Reactions: NCLR224
i got a ga precision team gap 6.5 prc on the short action. While the gun does shoot sub 1/3 moa with factory ammo i am stuck on the factory coal. if i could have done it all over again i would have went wtih a defiant xm action for a little more room to play with. overall super happy with the gun just wish i had a little more room to play with.

Reactions: TRyanOC and BCX