• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody road bike?

@bohem rides like 200 miles a week or some crazy shit.

Not this guy. my hat is off to yall.

Roadie for nearly 30 years and raced a fair number of those. At 63 just ride for fitness now and train for organized rides such as the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. Took a fall in early May two weeks before the ride and wound up with a displaced Intertrochanteric fracture of the left femur which required surgery. Back on the trainer and plan to be back on the road in September.

Molas Pass 2017.jpg

Topping Molas Pass (10,940 ft) in last years Iron Horse. Original Merlin Road titanium frame which I bought new in 1995. Dura Ace 7900, custom wheels , carbon fork, seat post, bars and stem.

I raced my road bike at the lowest amateur level for about 15 years (1985-2000); I still ride once in awhile, but favor the mtn bike more these days. I bought an Eddy Merckx carbon fiber road frame a few years back hoping it would offset the effects of aging and gravity -- not fully successful. Took Monday off a few weeks back to bike the Needles Highway in Custer State Park on my 56th birthday. A Tour de France worthy climb; I only do it about once a year -- it takes me that long to recover and dismiss the suffering. If you're ever in the Black Hills of SD let me know -- the roads in the Southern Hills that the motorcyclists like to ride during the Sturgis Rally are also fun to bike. There's a challenging loop that takes you past Mt Rushmore Natl Memorial, too.

Reactions: canman
I raced my road bike at the lowest amateur level for about 15 years (1985-2000); I still ride once in awhile, but favor the mtn bike more these days. I bought an Eddy Merckx carbon fiber road frame a few years back hoping it would offset the effects of aging and gravity -- not fully successful. Took Monday off a few weeks back to bike the Needles Highway in Custer State Park on my 56th birthday. A Tour de France worthy climb; I only do it about once a year -- it takes me that long to recover and dismiss the suffering. If you're ever in the Black Hills of SD let me know -- the roads in the Southern Hills that the motorcyclists like to ride during the Sturgis Rally are also fun to bike. There's a challenging loop that takes you past Mt Rushmore Natl Memorial, too.

Hertz,
Have you ever done the Spearfish canyon around and passed Terry Peak, through Deadwood into Lead and finish at Terry Peak?
Seems like you could get some serious climbing in a fairly short ride.
I'm sure you've started on 8th street, up Mt Rushmore road, down into Keystone, past the monument and back out on to 16 for the high speed downhill back to Rapid.

Last time I was in the area (2013), I was showing my wife (then girlfriend) all of the places I wanted to ride.
She thought I was nuts.

If I still lived there I would be riding my ass off.

many km's daily … makes rifles/optics look inexpensive by comparison. Road/TT/MTB/CX/Fatbike etc, no better way to explore the world.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
You know it. I'm benched from the bike right now, but I love the road bike. My all time love is mountain biking. 36 days ago I went to Big Bear and did some downhill stuff, first run of the day after a day before at another bike park. 3 broken ribs later and a bruised ego I'm still recovering!

I know a few guys in here that road bike a lot

Yup, I still ride my road bike all the time. Never raced though, just for fun and commuting.

IMG_20180723_205134.jpg

True love is single track MTB but I have to travel an he one way to ride any. Still ride the hardtail MTB on tarmac and gravel roads around here tho. Used to have a road bike until funds got short when having my daughter. Don’t miss it much YET. The hardtail suits me just fine unless I’m trying to keep up with some roadie buddies.

Attachments

• 6FF2EA34-B377-4B24-A77F-99C305B45755.jpeg
    6FF2EA34-B377-4B24-A77F-99C305B45755.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 96128220-15A3-49A0-A66F-D292BCC7962A.jpeg
    96128220-15A3-49A0-A66F-D292BCC7962A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
Road and MTB here. Switch off between the two in good weather times of the year.
Great way to stay fit and burn off some stress.

I have owned a mountain bike off and on for 15 years. I could never stay hooked with it. I'll be 50 years old in a month and been doing some crossfit and trying to run with disappointing results. 6 weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a Niner gravel bike. The bike is a blast. I've lost 10 pounds riding about 120 miles a week on county dirt roads. I just ordered a road wheel set and plan to do a 100k road event in 6 weeks and hopefully a 40 mile gravel event in a few weeks. My goal is the Dirty Kanza 100 in and hopefully the 200 the following year.

My wife been riding mountain bikes. She got a Salsa Warbird and she has become hooked on gravel as well.

If you are reading this and sitting on the fence about getting into cycling, dont hesitate any longer. Its very good exercise, callenging, good stress relief, easy on the body and most of all, fun.

Started Aug.6th. I got a Vilano TUONO off Amazon. It's stripped down version of their commuter bike. It's got some good features but I think I'm already out growing it. I do a 32 mile loop two days in a row and then a 15 mile hill training, 4 loops eight climbs. Then back to the 32's. I was a runner but the impact was just killing my joints. It actually cost me a hip. I was in OK shape when I started but this bike has got me to the best condition I've been in since rookie school. I'm going to get a better bike next year for sure.

Reactions: winniethepooh
I ride a Felt Z4 CF bike with SRAM components. Got in about 1,500 miles this year. Best year I ever did I think was 2500 miles. Due to work or one thing or another, I can only get in ~ 20 miles a ride. It's a little hilly here in western PA so I can tailor my ride to how much I want to suffer.

Reactions: goatboy and canman
Was riding ~120 miles/week. Hit from behind by asshole back in August at 60mph. About like motorcycling; too many idiots on the road for people to enjoy, just a bunch of people on phones in a hurry to go nowhere. Be safe dudes.

^^^^^^^^^^

How badly were you hurt? Miracle you're still alive.

^^^^^^^^^^

How badly were you hurt? Miracle you're still alive.

Somehow just a broken fibula and elbow, some staples in the arm. Thanks for asking, back to riding 6 weeks out. A few other bikers in the area didn't fare so well this summer.

"Sun was in my eyes" - fortunately not a valid legal argument, but my ass was the one on the road. I am more aware of riding into the sun now, and made sure to get a "daylight bright" blinking rear light.

^^^^^^^^

Brother of the Wheel, you got that right. I started using "blinkeys" a year or so ago. I use a brilliant bright white LED on my left rear and a bright red LED on my seat bag. Lezyne (sp?) makes one of them. Can't remember who the other manufacturer was but got it at REI.

Reactions: EGwhisper
Yeah, mountain biking is a WHOLE lot safer. Yeah, I get that.

Yeah, mountain biking is a WHOLE lot safer. Yeah, I get that.

That's what I was beginning to think, until another guy in the hospital had a full head brace, and rod in the place his neck vertebrae used to be from hitting a tree mountain biking.

I've been riding since Aug. 6th. I've got just over 1000 miles so far. I've had a few incidents that could be considered a close call,people turning left in front of you, pulling out of a stop sign and just seeing me at the last second. I have lights front and back and wear a bright orange jersey but they still don't see. Having said that I've done way more stupid stuff from inexperience than that and was just lucky no one was driving near me or they we able to avoid me. You have to have your head on a swivel. And be concentrating on not doing something they are not expecting.

Last edited:
Five months into my recovery from breaking my femur and will hit the road this coming weekend. Finished PT and been back in the weight room for over a month building strength in the injured leg. Been using Trainer Road on the indoor trainer with Vector 3 pedals to measure watts and power balance between legs. Have used different indoor training regimens over the years and these is the best by far. Very structured plans for getting one in shape. Iron Horse registration opens in two months and will be signing up.
Hardware.jpg

Wow . When I had my hip replaced ( 22 months ago) I was back to work in five weeks. At the time I was a heavy equipment mechanic and didn't do a lot of heavy work. The boss insisted I let the other guy's do it, and God Bless them they did. That's a good recovery there. Good luck this weekend.

That's what I was beginning to think, until another guy in the hospital had a full head brace, and rod in the place his neck vertebrae used to be from hitting a tree mountain biking.

Actually I was being sarcastic.

Threats come at road bikers from every direction and in many different forms - it's a wonder we all don't have PTSD after a ride. Mountain bikers usually, and I emphasize USUALLY, are in danger from one direction - the front. But at the wild speeds mountain bikers ride, front facing threats are bad enough. I have a lot of respect for mountain bikers. At least the fast ones.

I enjoy riding and usually use the Rails to Trails bike path. Last year I built up a gravel bike and started riding dirt roads in and around the nearby national forest. It's so much nicer to see more deer in the road than cars. I no longer feel safe riding roads unless in a group...too many people on their phones while trying to drive.

Yup. I started in 1984 after I watched a guy named Alexi Grewal with the mens road race. I raced until just a few years ago. Now I ride for fun....Now cyclocross....that is the most fun Ive had on a bike!

I'm getting there. Not fast like real competitor fast but I actually got to 26 MPH on a flat road. The top gear on my bike is only 50/14 and a little wind at my back was helping a bunch but it was still 26 MPH. Hell I only did that before downhill.

Reactions: winniethepooh
Raced road for a lot of years and also tons of great mountain biking in Utah. My son now races high school mtn bike, so we spend a lot of time riding together. Pretty cool to be able to participate in a high school sport with your kid.
One of the coolest road races around here is Lotoja... one day, three states, lots of mountains over 206 miles. (Lotoja = Logan to Jackson) Highly recommend if you are looking for a challenge!

Old dude roadie here, still ride my steel Battaglin with Shimano 105. Also have an aluminum Trek, I jprefer the stiffness and response of steel, "yes at one time when dinosaurs chased us we rode steel frame bikes"

Crash and burned 15 years ago, same fracture as Ziahunter, same repairs: Major Trochanter, Large plate, screws. In less than a month I was back at work using crutches, a year later I had the hardware removed, it was a pain going thru security.

Also have a mountain bike, use to call it my modern sculpture as it was a static display. Never got into serious mountain biking,. Last year I "electrified it" using a Bafang kit. Not a simple task but manageable if you are mechanically inclined and enjoy "tinkering". Kit was ~$850; compared to a new "chic" electric bikes it is a bargain.
It has a pedal assist mode, on the flats it will do 30 mph. Range is hard to define, as it is not a linear function. Last September in pedal assist mode I did 49 miles with 40% of the battery (road, few climbs)
Off road is a blast, climb with the youngsters and blast down trails!
20171217_125257 r.jpg 20180929_141933r.jpg

Up until may 2017 I was riding 200+ miles a week. I was training for the Triple Bypass in Colorado. I stepped my training up by riding with some semi professional cyclist. They are in their 20’s and me at 53. I was riding a 112 mile ride with the guys and it turned into a hammer fest. At about 79 miles I started feeling funny and having heart burn. I dropped off the pack and one of the other riders dropped with me. Our next scheduled stop was in about six miles. The group 18 riders hammered on as we limped in.
At the stop I had tunnel vision and severe heartburn and told them to ride on. I went over to a big shady tree and called my wife to come pick me up. While waiting I code blue. My wife found me and got me in the truck and drove me to the hospital that was about five blocks away.
I woke up in the cath lab at another hospital getting shocked. I was told I was shocked 24 times. I got some stints.
It’s been a while as it has taken me over a year to get better. I had been a Deputy Sheriff for nearly thirty years and was forced into retirement as my cardiologist would not release me back to work.
I still ride my bike(Trek Domane) daily but only 10-15 mile rides. I still do weekend rides but keep the mileage to 30-40 miles.
I used to fly my bike out to Lompoc California and ride all over while staying with my aunt and uncle.
I’ve ridden all over Tennessee, Missouri, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana,Colorado and Iowa.
I love riding but had to trim the miles back.

Lucky your Wife got there when she did. Good luck in the future.

I tell her thanks all the time. I have a gps tracking device on me when riding. That’s how she was able to drive straight to me. I always thought I’d get hit by a motor vehicle sooner or later. I didn’t expect my heart to try and kill me.

Yeah I've only been riding since August. Just over 1500 miles and had a few close calls with cars, one at least my fault. I worked EMS for years and you would be surprised by the number of fit individuates we picked up with ST elevation and worse. When it comes to fitness the heart is the only muscle that really counts.

Netman8718, we just got back from Lompoc. Wife wanted to visit Solvang and Santa Barbara. We stayed in Lompoc as it was centrally located. Wife bought some useless expensive stuff, but hey happy wife, happy life (?) I just rationalize it: cheaper to keep...

When we were younger we would bring our bikes to Buellton, tent camp in Avenue of the Flags, and ride all over Santa Inez, Solvang, Los Padres National Forest. Met some firemen that worked for LAFD but lived in Lompoc.

The area has undergone significant development s, lots of vineyards, tasting rooms and associated traffic. I am positive my bike is a cloaking cape, you sit on it and drivers can't see you!

Sorry to hear about your early retirement. Glad it was not an early checkout. Happy New Year

AC

AC due to the time difference from California to Indiana I would get up super early and ride to Surf beach. I would ride around all the flower and ag fields going and coming. I would stop at McDonald’s and get breakfast. I had my bike leaned up against the store. The manager told me to bring my bike inside because she was worried that some homeless dude would steal it. Turns out she was from Indiana about thirty miles from me.
I would ride back to my relatives and get my wife. We would ride back to the beach and then ride over to Solvang. We would ride around all of the fruit and nut trees checking them out.
It was amazing how cool Lompoc was and then Solvang would be smoking hot.
We rode some of the TdC routes and do the winery rides.
I absolutely loved riding around out there. I was nearly hit a couple of times. Some crazies out there.
One year we flew out and rented a couple of road bikes from the bike shop in Solvang. Really good place to rent a bike.
I would go North of Lompoc and climbed this big hill with real tight turns. Leg burner for sure.
I’ve did the RAGBRAI ride before and met up with some other cyclists who had done RAGBRAI while out in California. We rode a couple of days with them on their daily ride.
Love riding California!

Rode the Solvang Century several years ago. When we started in the morning the fog was so dense you could hardly see. Fog lifted and turned out to be a beautiful ride. Still my favorite rides are in NM and Colorado. Enchanted Circle Century, Copper Triangle and Iron Horse. Registered for 2019 Iron Horse and my training goal after recovering from breaking my femur in May.

When my daughter lived in Denver a couple years ago my wife and I would go out and ride all over. I really like riding Colorado a lot too. This past fall I went out to Colorado twice and Wyoming once hunting. I hunted around Granby and plan to return with my bike.
After filling my tags in Wyoming my friend took me over to the Sturgis SD area and gave me the ten cent tour. The roads and views are spectacular. My wife and I are going out to Wyoming and Montana this summer to see if we like the area and maybe find us a home out there. Since I’m retired she is going to take a month off work so we can spend some time checking the states out. We are taking our bikes with us so we can really see the areas we are considering.
Always someplace to ride!

Zia I was training for the Triple Bypass ride in Colorado when I had my heart attack. Is that a oxymoron? I had registered and paid my money. So I was all gungho about that ride. After my heart attack I put my registration back up for sale and sold it the first day listed. A week later they canceled the ride due to fires .
All that training and a heart attack for nothing. lol

Zia, After a year I was given the choice of removing or keeping the hardware in my body. In addition to issues at the airport I started having knee issues. Once the hardware was removed my knee recovered. It was an issue having to endure another surgery. Recovery the second time around was minimal since the fracture was healed.
Netman have you looked at electric assist bike or a conversion kit for your current bike? You regulate the pedal assist effort from none to "Tesla"
It may help with your recovery without overtaxing your system. My cousin had knee surgery a few weeks ago and "borrowed" my ebike. Good therapy and allows him to ride with the family. Also bragged about doing 32 mph on the flats (insane for a 60+ old man)
We enjoyed the Santa Inez area, this was over twenty years ago. The scenery was incredible with large black oaks , as you crested the hills you were bombarded with colors from the flower nurseries. Alas! most of them are gone, as vineyards are more profitable.

Ack: I believe the hardware installed in my leg is permanent. Thankfully I am not having any knee or other issues related to the surgery. Funny thing 6 weeks after the surgery I still needed the walker to get around with a fair amount of pain but could ride the stationary trainer like nothing happened.

Netman: You are fortunate that you survived your heart attack and great that you are staying active including getting hunts in. I was training for Iron Horse when I had my crash. At 61, my GI doc recommended that I have a full cardio workup done. Cardiologist did the whole nine yards including echo cardiogram and nuclear stress test. Test results indicated very low risk. Attribute most of it it good genes since everyone in my family has low cholesterol levels but a lifetime of physical activity and cycling no doubt helps.

It stopped raining long enough to get a decent ride in. I don't mind warm temp rain but in the cold I just can't get motivated to do that. Did 40 miles just over 15 MPH average. That's pretty good for me , I'll be 65 next month and with less than six months experience and only one human hip, I'm fairly pleased with that. Maybe I'll get a Fondo or two in next year.

Was hoping to get a ride in today but snowed yesterday and cold and wet outside. Will probably hit the trainer.

Went out this afternoon, short ride. My 30 year old road bike (the frame is that old). Left my water bottle on the car (duh) making it a shorter ride than expected.

battaglin.jpg

Zia, when they were going to remove the hardware I asked if I could have it. As an engineer I was curious about its construction, material, surface finish... Doctor said "sure we don't reuse them" The screws length match the femur diameter. The main screw is threaded unto the trochanter then the brace is attached via a fine thread screw.

308 added for scale.
Hardware1.jpg assembly Hardware2.jpg

If the hardware is single use, the surgery must be a difficult process, the screws (square drive, expected TORX LOL) were new but the major components had multiple scratches