• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody running 280 Ackley??

JRWALLSIII

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2008
Elkton,Florida,USA
www.wallsrifles.com
Ok, Just got my GAP rifle in the mail. It is chambered for the 280 Ackley and throathed for the 180 VLD. Anybody got any load data for this? I have the Nosler reloading manual to get me started. Going to try and get some rounds through it as soon as possible!

Re: Anybody running 280 Ackley??

Man, nice rig! I've got one of those bargain Marlins ordered and am planning a 26" 280 AI for it with the same throating you have. Might be the "poor boy's" TAC hammer.

I've had real good results with the 162 Amax w/RL25 for a long range load in my APS built 280AI.
I'll have to look up the loads.

Sierra has a good section on the 280AI.

Fantastic cartridge if you like something in a long action.
FWIW
Wes in AZ

I'm almost finished with my ackley. I have it set up to shoot 168 Burgers and JLKs because I dont think I'd be happy with the velocity of 180s in the 280. Its a great bullet though and maybe you'll get enough speed for what you'll be doing with it. As soon as I get mine painted and bedded I'll be at the range. How did you have yours throated exactly? When you get a reamer set up for the 180, there are different ways of doing it. Some people like to have a short throat so the bullet will reach the lands and still function in the mag. If you have of bunch free bore, it may need to be shortened to work. This cuts back your powder space which will not help with a 180. I like mine moved out. I can still load to mag length and reach the rifling. My bullet seats to the bottom of the neck so powder space is still about as good as it gets in this case. What twist did you get?